Notices

question about vanilla essence

Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about vanilla essence

I just made a pavlova and it has vanilla essence it it, 16% alcohol volume. Is that ok to have cos it does contain alcohol? I wasn't sure so I thought I'll ask.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What's the alcohol content in beer, and is it okay?

All joking aside.. that could be dangerous behavior.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your question will get different responses from different people.

Will the amount of alcohol cause a triggering effect and bring on craving?

Are you using the vanilla as a way to get a buzz?

Some people feel very strongly about having absolutely no alcohol in any food any time and for any reason. Some feel that small amounts used in baking and cooking are not a problem.

Speaking for me, I wouldn't care, but that's just me, as you will see...

Mark
Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just read on google that the heat kills off the alcohol in the oven, so all good...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is a personal decision. I bake and will not forgo vanilla extract. I had a minor addiction to strawberry shortcake about one month ago and was making it constantly and the one or two times I made the whipping cream by hand (good for my arm muscles) I put a small drop of vanilla extract in. However, I think there are people who are extremely adamant about no alcohol, including vanilla extract, in anything they ingest. I wouldn't want to eat a dessert that was heavily liquored flavored. However, I would eat risotto that was made with a dash of wine (probably most is). I mean it is cooked off anyways. I think in general it is about setting your own personal boundaries. You know what would trigger you and what wouldn't. I think the best thing is to probably think about it when you are feeling good and strong in your recovery, make some rules, and stick to them.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

imagine? hey bartender,can i have a large "pavlova"?...LOL...Oz...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Cubile said - you'll get a variety of viewpoints on this Maz...

My own view is I'm not eating a cake or pavlova for a buzz and I've never gotten drunk off a dessert.

It might be different if I'd ever used vanilla essense to get drunk, but I never went that route.

Do what you feel comfortable with Maz...and if you do experience cravings, don't do it again
Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

I think you'll be fine

I just posted about how mouthwash contains alcohol so do I stop using it? No. But I'm not going to drink it to get drunk am I? If I wanted to get drunk I'd go to the pub and buy a beer.

Have you tried drinking those essences straight before? Ewwww yuck. I have.

Besides you obviously aren't adding the essence because of the alcohol, it's because it's part of the recipe and for flavour .. nom nom nom!

But hey, thanks for a great question, and thanks for asking everyones opinion.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If one day I find myself terrified of eating pavlova, choc chip cookies or anything else used in baking(which I do every day) that has a small alchohol content mostly diffused by cooking?I think I'll consider just giving up and go back to drinking.(not really-I'm just making a point here) I will no more allow myself to be a slave to sobriety than I was to alcohol.

However, as others have said-you'll get both sides of the fence here.I am a foodie-I love gourmet cooking and baking so I do use ingredients that sometimes contain alcohol.I have yet to experience eating something that made me crave?But if I did I would change my stance on this too.But that's just me.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol has a low burn temp. Which means at a temp. lower than water boiling it will "cook-out" the alcohol (not completely but to a miniscule percentage). I don't think there is anything wrong with cooking with alcohol. I don't do it because I don't like to being around open bottles of liquor and getting the aroma as I cook--it is too tempting. In terms of eating the food: I do not eat something that has the taste of wine, beer, rum, or other alcy for the same reasons. I wouldn't think vanilla is a big deal because the taste is not alcoholic in nature. Ultimately it is up to you and if it plays any kind of mental game that leads you closer to drinking, avoid.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Good point hendershot. I didn't even think that.

Note to self - avoid non-alcoholic beverages and goods that taste like alcohol.

Mouthwash tastes like peppermint usually, and sometimes it's so intense you can't taste anything.

But that IS a good point hendershot. I'll be avoiding the aforementioned products from now on.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic like me, then you probably have an adverse reaction to alcohol. It's a physical reaction.

I will not use any products with any alcohol, at any time.

Why should I considering the above?

Oh, and if your an alcoholic like me, you just might be a master of self-justification.

That's just me......I've lived many years without & I'm better off that way thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The "other" great debate!, alcohol burn off

Preparation Method Percent Alcohol Retained

Baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

15 minutes 40%

30 minutes 35%

1 hour 25%

1.5 hours 20%

2 hours 10%

2.5 hours 5%

Abstinence: zero, none, nodda, zippo, the null set.........lol
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's see facts about cooking with alcohol.....
A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.

And you can try these..
Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.

If you are taking Antabuse....it can be dangerous
You can also find Vanilla ithout alxohol.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yeah I tried looking for one without it but they didn't sell it, oh well, the cake was nice, I didn't geta "buzz" from eating it, just that it tasted delicious.
I'm not going to worry about a little teaspoon of vanilla essence in a whole cake that was most probably burned off in the oven.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was 15 years old and nearly demented with tooth ache, a friend's mum gave me a bottle of pure Vanilla essence at 11pm and I used a cotton ball to put it on the tooth. This worked well for a bit and so I repeated the process thru the night. Trust me, I was as full as a boot when supposed to get up for work early in the morning, and my pal's mum was not happy with me. I denied I was drunk or had been drinking alcohol and didn't find out for years that it was that vanilla to blame. Only use artificial essence since being with my ABF, as the tooth lesson was learned very well.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If eating foods cooked with booze made me an akaholic then I'd have to be an akaholic. I'm in Louisiana for Crissakes.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mergirl

totally personal thing, you have to know yourself. I have a bottle of wine here I cook with, probably not a good idea for some.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
Mouthwash tastes like peppermint usually, and sometimes it's so intense you can't taste anything.

But that IS a good point hendershot. I'll be avoiding the aforementioned products from now on.
Not totally on topic, but a girl who I was in rehab was addicted to mouthwash, Listerine specifically. She wasn't tempted by beer, whiskey, rum, etc., but a bottle of Listerine would set her off. Part of it was a self abuse issue. I guess the point is, everyone has their different triggers.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sure you know you can buy alcohol free mouthwash? It tastes just as disgusting.