Notices

I feel like having a drink...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

I feel like having a drink...

But I'm not going too.

I've been doing pretty okay lately. I haven't had a drink in almost 2 months, but today is ROUGH. I woke up in a horrible mood. Depressed, Angry, Frustrated. I knew ofcourse I was going to feel like this one day, no matter how much sober time I have. It's inevitable. I cried for a few minutes and let some frustration out, but it didn't help really. Normally, I would have gone to the liquor store already.

Strength is what really comes into play today. I am trying to gather as much as I can. I let someone get under my skin badly. There are other reasons why I feel this way today, but that's the major reason. I need to learn to bite the bullet and let go of people and things that aren't good for me. I have a really hard time doing that. I need help with this. It's so much easier said than done.

I really hope this feeling passes soon. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweets,

It's really hard to let go of people and things that are not good for us. I'm sorry that someone upset you..

And, you're right, this is a time to gain strength. The next time you feel like this, it will be a little bit easier to get through it, because you will gain strength from this experience.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
I knew of course I was going to feel like this one day, no matter how much sober time I have. It's inevitable.
Drink time comes for all of us. I feel like it's all about coming to grips with life on life's terms. But what's important for me is having the tools and resources to deal with it. I can log onto SR, go to a recovery meeting, pick up a recovery book, call a friend from the program, the possibilities are so numerous.

And if none of that works, there are times when I just have to abstain, to remember where alcohol used to take me, to understand that to drink might mean to die. I think of that as a healthy fear, if it keeps me form taking a drink I'm not afraid to use it.

And yes, the craving always passes.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Sweets))

Sorry you're having a rough day, but I'm glad you know drinking won't make it better.

Do you go to meetings? Any way to get to one? If not, how about just hanging out with someone supportive? I've had days where I just stuck really close to SR because that was what I needed to do that day, and seemed the safest option.

I'm glad you came here and posted.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweets,

Glad to see you are hanging in there. I'll tell you what worked for me.

I let someone get under my skin badly.
The Big Book says that "Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease..." After a few death threats (power to kill, infinitely grave), the book says, " We saw that these resentments must be mastered, but how? We could not wish them away any more than alcohol."

You don't need someone to quote a book for you. That's not helpful. But it might be helpful to know that I have never been able to wish these resentments away. I've never been able to let go of these things. Without a spiritual solution, I'm stuck in that bitterness of unfairness and self-pity. And they'll eat me alive.

So I do what it says in the book. I do what other recovered alcoholics do to master resentment. I start by putting them down on paper just like it shows in Chapter 5. Then I follow the next direction.

Doesn't matter how long I've been sober, I still haven't found a better way of handling resentments when (not if) they come up. I will say, though, that many fewer resentments come up due to the benefits of practicing the spiritual principles outlined in that book.

In this way, my working the program actually has the power to change the world. The *ssholes have moved to another town, or at least that's my perception of it. I simply don't notice them any more, because they look so much like me. Another flawed human co-existing in the world.

All quotes form BB, 1st Ed.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Sweets))

Sorry you're having a rough day, but I'm glad you know drinking won't make it better.

Do you go to meetings? Any way to get to one? If not, how about just hanging out with someone supportive? I've had days where I just stuck really close to SR because that was what I needed to do that day, and seemed the safest option.

I'm glad you came here and posted.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Thank you,

No, I don't use AA. I've been to a few meetings and they weren't for me.

I'm just confused, and crying on and off today. This hasn't happened in awhile. Things just hit me this morning when I woke up like a ton of bricks. I'm feeling very out of it.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just me...

Sorry too hearr your havingg a badd day Sweets. Hangg in theree, tryy to keep yourself busy!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing I do find amusing though, is right above my thread that's titled "I really feel like having a drink", someone else's thread says "Sobriety is wonderful". What a doozy lemme tell ya.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just me...

One thing I do find amusing though, is right above my thread that's titled "I really feel like having a drink", someone else's thread says "Sobriety is wonderful". What a doozy lemme tell ya.
I noticedd that too.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Re: people, places, things & situations......

this helps me, hope it will do the same for you!!!

To let go doesn’t mean to stop caring; it means I can’t do it for someone else.

To let go is not to cut myself off; it is the realization that I can’t control another.

To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To let go is not to change or blame another; I can only change myself.

To let go is not to care for, but to care about.

To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive.

To let go is not to judge, but allow another to be a human being.

To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to effect their own outcomes.

To let go is not to be protective; it is to permit another to face reality.

To let go is not to deny, but to accept.

To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but to search out my own shortcomings and petition God.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish the moment.

To let go is not to criticize or regulate anyone, but to become what God wants me to become & realize my dreams.

To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the moment I’m in, for RIGHT NOW!

To let go is to fear less and love more.

Perhaps it is letting go of a child or spouse, or a burden or sorrow, losing a loved one, or learning to live with a situation, which I just cannot change. Read this over, study it, pray for it, apply the spiritual principles of the 12 steps & I will find that letting go of my load will release a peace within me which will allow my spirit to soar & rocket me into the 4th dimension and be free. Give COMPLETELY to God and let a work be done within me, where the need is anyway.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow Sweets, I'm proud of you that you have made it almost to two Months Sober. Don't mess it up and loose your investment. Of course if you start drinking again you know it will only make things worse and you will have to start things all over again. Having to work your own way through difficult situations without alcohol makes you a stronger more mature human being. Drinking just puts you in a Coma while it sucks the life out of you and your problems are still there in the end. Anyway, I'm still rooting for you.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done Sweets! Every time you exercise your muscles you get stronger. Each time you move thru the feelings that make you want to drink you become more powerful. Sobriety is a bumpy ride in the beginning...wear your seat belt and keep your eyes on the road! Good job!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
this helps me, hope it will do the same for you!!!

To let go doesn’t mean to stop caring; it means I can’t do it for someone else.

To let go is not to cut myself off; it is the realization that I can’t control another.

To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To let go is not to change or blame another; I can only change myself.

To let go is not to care for, but to care about.

To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive.

To let go is not to judge, but allow another to be a human being.

To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to effect their own outcomes.

To let go is not to be protective; it is to permit another to face reality.

To let go is not to deny, but to accept.

To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but to search out my own shortcomings and petition God.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish the moment.

To let go is not to criticize or regulate anyone, but to become what God wants me to become & realize my dreams.

To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the moment I’m in, for RIGHT NOW!

To let go is to fear less and love more.

Perhaps it is letting go of a child or spouse, or a burden or sorrow, losing a loved one, or learning to live with a situation, which I just cannot change. Read this over, study it, pray for it, apply the spiritual principles of the 12 steps & I will find that letting go of my load will release a peace within me which will allow my spirit to soar & rocket me into the 4th dimension and be free. Give COMPLETELY to God and let a work be done within me, where the need is anyway.
Thank you,

I actually replied to this the other day. I said I was going to look at it each day. Learning it and doing it are two different things. I hope one day I can actually live this way.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

reading it once a day does not appear to be enough for me........very true about living it!! yes!

bring on application!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I read your post above and you said AA is not for you, so I won't go there right now. I will however tell you how I let go of people and things that are affecting my sobriety. I write a letter, sometimes it gets pretty long, to the person I am so upset with. In that letter I write everything I would just love to say but can't and why I am so p*ssed off. After putting it on paper, I burn it, yep, burn it. I find sometimes that writing down what I am feeling kind of releases it from being all bottled up in my head. I learned the writing down stuff from a counselor. The burning of it was my own because my letters held alot of stuff in them that I wouldn't want anyone reading. Keep your chin up, it will get better. Hope this will help.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

sucks the life indeed.....love to live life