Notices

So it dawned on me yesterday.....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

So it dawned on me yesterday.....

That I am really starting to ENJOY life. I admitted to a friend that there was a point, not too long ago, that I wasn't sure that I wanted/could go on with life. That is a really scary statement. I have always wondered what makes someone take their own life and how bad could it be? I was at a point where I knew I wouldn't actually harm myself, but I did wondered if the world would be better off without me. That is completly gone now.

I sat and thought about what people would say at my funeral or if I would have touched anyone in a way that I would be remembered for. I realized that the obituary wouldn't be that great a read. So now, I want to live every day to the fullest and be the best person I can be. I want to be a good role model for my children, a good husband, a great friend, and a valued individual in society. I want to make a mark on the world. I am going to volunteer my time at some type of charity where I can help perfect strangers. I want to try to make others happy, and inturn make my self happy.

I am also really starting to embrace a higher power again. I was raised Roman Catholic (hold the jokes please) and although I am not practicing right now, I definately believe in something. I believe in Karma and I believe that good things happen to good people. I believe that we are all here for a reason and drugs and alcohol are just a test to see if we will achive that goal or not.

Sorry for the rant, but plainly said I wanted to share with everyone that I have really come to the realization that NOTHING good comes from drinking. I cannot think of one positive thing that comes from alcohol that can't be achived sober. As a matter of fact, sobriety alone is a much better high then alcohol ever was (I know this might just be the pink cloud talking).

I love you all and I am happy to continue on this journey with you.

Chris
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THIS IS AN AWESOME POST!!!!

I am so glad that your view on YOUR LIFE has changed. It's only been a couple weeks and look how wonderful you are feeling?! AND It only gets better!! It may go up and down, but that's life... challenges come, but now you will have a clear head to get thru them!

Congratulations Chris... I am very proud of you!

Shannon
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Chris, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a WONDERFUL post! I'm sitting here now with a big smile on my face! I know exactly how you feel and feel the same way myself! ( I'm also a non-practicing Roman Catholic)

Good for you Chris!!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

C23, I was in a similarly dark place not all that long ago and through my sobriety and the other changes made in my life, I have emerged from that to a point now where I once again enjoy life, see the positive, and look forward to the future. Congrats on your progress.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

did you mean RECOVERING Roman Catholic?

LOL

great post!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for You!! Isn't it amazing how much clearer our perspective is once the fog has lifted. Of course there will be bad times, troubles, and doubts but if we can hold on to these good moments anything can be overcome.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
did you mean RECOVERING Roman Catholic?

LOL

great post!!!!
HAHA. Exactly.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice post C23...rant away! Not sure why anyone would joke about you being Roman Catholic...that would just be disrespectful!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

just about two weeks sober and can now sit down everyday and have a lively, attentive conversation with my 5 year old daughter about how SHE feels about the day, her favorite show, or whatever......so i understand exactly where you are, life is good especially when you're sober enough to enjoy it......great post, i love a great read so im not afraid of a long one.......and oh yea........chuch is also a place of healing, think i had forgotten that at one point too.