SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How Did You Come Up With Your Screen Name (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/178401-how-did-you-come-up-your-screen-name.html)

Believe808 06-15-2009 11:00 AM

How Did You Come Up With Your Screen Name

I always wonder how people come up with screen names. My SN comes from the word Believe that I have all over my house and I have tattooed on my foot and my birthday.

If you care to share, I would love to know.

pumpkin77 06-15-2009 11:02 AM

my husband calls me pumpkin and my birth year

smacked 06-15-2009 11:10 AM

My screen name for years on ***** and things like that is/was smackmesober..
and now I am.

shaun00 06-15-2009 11:10 AM

lol..lol.......dont ask its way to complicated.

Mark75 06-15-2009 11:16 AM

Years ago I had a dream when I was way hungover... an army of little men were stacking lead cubes in all the recesses of my skull. I told a friend this, and her and her husband have called me cube ever since, that's like 25 years ago... so it is a nickname I've had for years and it is related to what happens when I drink too much.... 75 is the year I graduated HS... yea, I'm an old guy, young at heart though!!

Mark

(I usually just prefer Mark... probably would have used another screen name if I thought my posts were gonna number over a thousand :))

Believe808 06-15-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by trucker (Post 2262891)
lol..lol.......dont ask its way to complicated.

Aw come on, you posted, so you might as well share it.

Sweets79 06-15-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Believe808 (Post 2262872)
I always wonder how people come up with screen names. My SN comes from the word Believe that I have all over my house and I have tattooed on my foot and my birthday.

If you care to share, I would love to know.

I was in a rush and couldn't think of anything better.

jade09 06-15-2009 11:42 AM

jade is my favorite stone, always wear it...i know it's corney but it gives me strength and makes me feel like i'm not alone....09 because this is the year i am finally taking control of my life.......FOR REAL

Rowan 06-15-2009 11:49 AM

After the main character in an Ann Rice book - I thought she was very hip and cool.

And I hadn't heard about Rowan Atkinson aka Mr. Bean by that time.

ClaretandBlue 06-15-2009 11:50 AM

The colors of West Ham United :)

dignityback 06-15-2009 12:00 PM

Im getting my dignity back!! Oh and Im a west ham so love the claret n blue!!!

ex D-Boy 06-15-2009 12:06 PM

I used to be very into hip hop and rappers refer to a "Dope Boy" as being a dealer for drugs like crack or heroin. Since that was my past and I was ready for a positive change I slapped on the ex in front and voila ;)

CAPTAINZING2000 06-15-2009 12:14 PM

who says this isn't my real name???

;)

Believe808 06-15-2009 12:30 PM

Come on now!!!!

CAPTAINZING2000 06-15-2009 12:35 PM

What??

Captain comes from Captain Crunch cereal. Zing is part of my name. I was tripping in college when, this name came about.

2000 new millinium.

Added them altogether :)

wanttolive 06-15-2009 12:50 PM

I think mine is pretty obvious. Want to Live. Came up with it when my dr. told me if I didn't change my ways I would be dead way to early.

Jade19 06-15-2009 12:54 PM

I am with Jade09 in that Jade is my most favorite healing stone....some of the things it works with are:

Jade is said to be a good first gemstone for a child.
Aids in problem solving, and helps proneness to accidents and reaching dreams, goals and ideals. It brings balance, justice, modesty, courage, wisdom, compassion, and longevity.

Jade is noted for being good for the skin, hair, lymphatic system, bones, joints/hips, spleen, bladder, heart, immune system, gallbladder, kidneys, muscles and the entire female reproductive system and fertility.

Helps PMS Menstrual problems, period pain, asthma, bacterial and viral infections, eye disorders, general malaise, high blood pressure, and schizophrenia.

Jade is good for emotional balance, confidence, and grounding. helps negativity. Promotes dreams and dream recall when placed under the pillow. Brings connection to ancient civilizations and wisdom, protection, peace (both inner and outer), and shamanic access to spirit worlds.

I wear it everyday and the number 19 is my husbands number when he played pro-hockey =)

Astro 06-15-2009 12:57 PM

I'm an amateur astronomer. Ever hear of a drunk with a telescope collection? :lmao No, I didn't get the name from that dog from the Jetsons cartoons!

Believe808 06-15-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 2263069)
:lmao No, I didn't get the name from that dog from the Jetsons cartoons!

Yeah, that's what I thought you were gonna say, ha ha

FizzyWater 06-15-2009 01:10 PM

If I'd joined a day earlier I'd have been known as neat Vodka !!!!!!!!!!!

It just happened to be what I was drinking when I found SR.

tyler 06-15-2009 01:17 PM

Well I joined this site pretty early in it's existence and was in pretty desperate, not so creative place. So when they asked for a screen name, I typed in the first thing that came to mind...my name!! There were'nt nearly as many member's at the time, so either I was the first Tyler, or the first one who used his real name!!

BTW, not trying to out the guy...but from reading some of his other posts, I'm pretty sure "trucker" is, uh, a truck driver.:lightbulb!!

Zencat 06-15-2009 01:22 PM

When I entered addiction treatment and was exposed to 12-step recovery I heard that a spiritual experience could help me recover from addiction. I wanted to remain true to my core beliefs as an atheist but was willing to try something new... like Zen. True, Zen Buddhism is non-theist but it feels better that I'm an non-theist that saying I'm an atheist.

I'm such a cat http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/22.gif person that it goes to the extreme...Hence Zencat. That and I have some pagan inclinations and like the power of cats. The cat is symbolic of independence, reincarnation, balance, psychicism, magick and mystery. Cool stuff to symbolize in a boarder recovery community.

Philly 06-15-2009 01:24 PM

I wish I would have put some more thought into my name. It is just what we call the city I live in Philadelphia.

Some have come up with really good meaningful names.

Daisy09 06-15-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 (Post 2262993)
who says this isn't my real name???

;)

Your's is my absolute favorite screen name on all of SR!

Daisy

kelsh 06-15-2009 02:19 PM

When I was signing up for this forum it would not take any name I tried...they were not available or someone was using it...I got frustrated so used my last name at the time. I was divorced but still had his last name.

That changed many years down the road....I am a Johnson now re-married to my first H.

kelsh

SteppingItUp 06-15-2009 02:40 PM

When I found SR, I was on day 13 of a ridiculously long withdrawal process, and I was going through so much pain and misery that I had to reach out to find out if what was going on with me was normal. I was a very, very serious closet addict, and coming here was the first time after a serious 6 year addiction that I ever, ever reached out to anybody (other than my boyfriend, with whom I became addicted) and admitted what I had been doing.

I had no real intentions of sticking around when I signed up. I thought I would ask my question, hope for some answers and then jet, hoping and praying all the while that no human being would ever know that I had signed up to a recovery forum. I considered some desperate, seeking help sorts of names. Then I decided that I needed a name I would have to live up to...and for all practical purposes, that's just what I've been doing. I'm stepping it up.

Edit: BTW, this was a great question to ask. I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because our landlady told me and my boyfriend that I look like the girl in this painting (although I don't). It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero. The ermine, squirmy, wiggly and sharp-toothed, but being held tame? As I see it, that's my addiction.

Astro 06-15-2009 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp (Post 2263204)
I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because a woman I know told people that I look like the girl in this painting. It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero.

I change my avatar often, but try to stick with an astronomy theme.

Da Vinci is my favorite artist and inventor, I've been fascinated by his work since I was a young kid.

Charmie 06-15-2009 03:14 PM

this is my name! i wasnt feeling very clever when i joined sr!,,and for lots of people,,check again,,most folk think its chairman,,no,its charmian,said shar-mee-an:whoop,,my friends call me charmi.

PXYZ 06-15-2009 03:19 PM

P as Peter + x y z axes :)

Believe808 06-15-2009 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp (Post 2263204)
Edit: BTW, this was a great question to ask. I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because our landlady told me and my boyfriend that I look like the girl in this painting (although I don't). It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero. The ermine, squirmy, wiggly and sharp-toothed, but being held tame? As I see it, that's my addiction.

I change my often but they always have something with believe in them. This time with the troubles going on in my life, I need to let go & Trust God and that is the name of this picture I use as my avatar. It reminds me to let go & Trust God.