Notices

How Did You Come Up With Your Screen Name

Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Well I joined this site pretty early in it's existence and was in pretty desperate, not so creative place. So when they asked for a screen name, I typed in the first thing that came to mind...my name!! There were'nt nearly as many member's at the time, so either I was the first Tyler, or the first one who used his real name!!

BTW, not trying to out the guy...but from reading some of his other posts, I'm pretty sure "trucker" is, uh, a truck driver.!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When I entered addiction treatment and was exposed to 12-step recovery I heard that a spiritual experience could help me recover from addiction. I wanted to remain true to my core beliefs as an atheist but was willing to try something new... like Zen. True, Zen Buddhism is non-theist but it feels better that I'm an non-theist that saying I'm an atheist.

I'm such a cat person that it goes to the extreme...Hence Zencat. That and I have some pagan inclinations and like the power of cats. The cat is symbolic of independence, reincarnation, balance, psychicism, magick and mystery. Cool stuff to symbolize in a boarder recovery community.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wish I would have put some more thought into my name. It is just what we call the city I live in Philadelphia.

Some have come up with really good meaningful names.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
who says this isn't my real name???

Your's is my absolute favorite screen name on all of SR!

Daisy
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I was signing up for this forum it would not take any name I tried...they were not available or someone was using it...I got frustrated so used my last name at the time. I was divorced but still had his last name.

That changed many years down the road....I am a Johnson now re-married to my first H.

kelsh
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

When I found SR, I was on day 13 of a ridiculously long withdrawal process, and I was going through so much pain and misery that I had to reach out to find out if what was going on with me was normal. I was a very, very serious closet addict, and coming here was the first time after a serious 6 year addiction that I ever, ever reached out to anybody (other than my boyfriend, with whom I became addicted) and admitted what I had been doing.

I had no real intentions of sticking around when I signed up. I thought I would ask my question, hope for some answers and then jet, hoping and praying all the while that no human being would ever know that I had signed up to a recovery forum. I considered some desperate, seeking help sorts of names. Then I decided that I needed a name I would have to live up to...and for all practical purposes, that's just what I've been doing. I'm stepping it up.

Edit: BTW, this was a great question to ask. I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because our landlady told me and my boyfriend that I look like the girl in this painting (although I don't). It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero. The ermine, squirmy, wiggly and sharp-toothed, but being held tame? As I see it, that's my addiction.

Last edited by SteppingItUp; 06-15-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because a woman I know told people that I look like the girl in this painting. It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero.
I change my avatar often, but try to stick with an astronomy theme.

Da Vinci is my favorite artist and inventor, I've been fascinated by his work since I was a young kid.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

this is my name! i wasnt feeling very clever when i joined sr!,,and for lots of people,,check again,,most folk think its chairman,,no,its charmian,said shar-mee-an,,my friends call me charmi.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
eng.

P as Peter + x y z axes
Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Edit: BTW, this was a great question to ask. I'm also curious to know how people chose their avatars. I picked mine because our landlady told me and my boyfriend that I look like the girl in this painting (although I don't). It's "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci. He lived in my city for a long time, and he's also my hero. The ermine, squirmy, wiggly and sharp-toothed, but being held tame? As I see it, that's my addiction.
I change my often but they always have something with believe in them. This time with the troubles going on in my life, I need to let go & Trust God and that is the name of this picture I use as my avatar. It reminds me to let go & Trust God.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, I loved the book "Eat, Pray, Love" and Gilbert talked about one word which would adequately describe her and she said "Seek" or equally "Hide". That really resonated with me. I feel that all my life I have hidden my real self, not only from others, but from myself as well. I don't want to hide anymore. I want to seek.

I was thinking about this very topic the other day and I kind of like "pickle" (as in the AA "once a pickle..") or Earnest or striving. I could go on and on. Obviously, decisions don't come easily to me but it's funny how my "identity" changes with time. Still, I'm happy with "Seek"
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I had never been in a chat room nor a message board....and nobody told me I could make up a name

In 2002 there wasn't another Ann here, so I didn't have to add numbers...good thing, too, because I would not have know that either

Next life I will be more creative.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Oh Ann, I'm glad you're just Ann!!!!! You don't have to be creative
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've always loved the ocean and felt a special connection to it. I found it to be the best therapy for my soul, just walking on the beach and staring at the horizon and the waves. I had to move away because of a number of reasons but I'm counting days until I get back near the ocean. So my name is the direction, both physical and spiritual for me to finally find peace in my life.

OB
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Because I'm so $%@^% sweet....

Naw, really. It's complicated, and a little embarrassing, although I will say I'm not from the south.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
mergirl

Name:
The day I joined I was so ashamed of myself, I couldn't look myself in the eyes in a mirror.

Av: A big part of who I am, the mergirl, water baby all the way.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Barb Dwyer = barbed wire.

All nice and orderly when let alone ...
Another story altogether to get tangled up with...
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I use a pretty standard screen name for most posting.

So I wanted something friends/families/posters couldn't figure out. Sitting on my table is a Tangram game. A puzzle. How perfectly fitting.

I hope to be posting more than once or twice a year at some point. I lurk all the time---paranoid much? Ha!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My screen name my middle name and my age when I joined. Didn't want to use my first name, thought someone might figure out who I am.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Pure destiny..each day it appears to describe how I am,more .....and more...