Notices

If Today Was Your Last Day...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why would we waste our precious time on earth being passed out, not remembering what we did, feeling like crap, hurting our bodies beyond repair? We only have so much time and it makes me sick to think of all the time I wasted being wasted. I love listening to this song, it makes me think about how short life really is.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this song too...Great recovery song! Thanks for posting it.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The moment I saw the title to this thread my brain completed the sentence as "If today was your last day... would I say F it and drink?"

My immediate second thought was, "heck ya!" which is highly disturbing!

I want my immediate thought to be something like, "I would want to spend my last day enjoying my loved ones and telling them how much I care." Instead, my thought was, "if I knew today was my last day, I'd immediately reach for a bottle to dull the pain of that knowledge."

Yes, I’ve definitely got some work to do! I already knew that, but this really brings it home. Thank you for this thread!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I would want to live fully in it as I do my best to do every day wile rocking to Nickleback...yes!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

What a beautiful song. Thanks for posting I've just been listening to some other nickelback on youtube and it's great. Modern day poets. Better than watching American Dad for me right now lol.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread! I hadn't heard this song before and love it. As said above, the perfect recovery song!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was sitting in my kitchen drinking my morning coffee, (wow, coffee in the morning instead of booze!) and I was thinking about "One day at a time" and how I can try to comprehend that concept, because I have had trouble with it. I have been trying to "get" this one day at a time thing because I want to plan one week at a time, or one month at a time.....but, one day? How do I do that?

Then one of my neighbors rang the doorbell.

She told me another neighbor has suddenly taken ill with incurable cancer and may die very soon, in just days or weeks.

I was shocked: this neighbor and his wife just retired and were planning another two decades to enjoy their "golden years". Every time I was around those two people I was struck by the natural happiness, serenity and contentment they always radiated. Why was I keen to notice that? Well of course, I compared it to my own constant alcoholic discontent, fear and lack of serenity. That I always radiated....

Just before I closed the door my neighbor said:
"Well, it shows you should live every day like it is your last".

It wasn't a complete knock my socks off Eureka moment, but it really made me think.
How many of us live our days like it will be our last? Not very many.
It gave a new twist to one day at a time for me.....
Old 06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know I sadly can not hear this song because they block certain sites where I work.

My wife asked me as we were leaving a meeting one time "Martin if a doctor told you that you only had 30 days to live would you drink again?" I was kind of shocked at my answer, I told her "No, I like being sober to much." and I meant it and I still feel that way.

I had about a year sober then and had finished taking the steps and was working with a sponsee then. I knew then that I had experienced a miracle, and I still know that today.

A drink today is not even in any equation in my life, this I find hard to beleive for a man who did not draw a sober breath the last 5 years I drank.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday..and all is well!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If today was my my last and somehow I knew this, (what a gift) I would call or try to visit with everyone that I loved and tell them how much I love them and what a difference they have made in my life and in theirs. Actually, I think I'll make a few calls tonight and they will be sober ones.