Notices

I need a sponsor!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Smile I need a sponsor!

I need a sponsor. It matters not to me whether it's alcohol, nicotine or other drugs, it's all substances, it's all using and it's ALL addiction.

I'm working on step one for myself, but I need a sponsor.

I'm only on day 3 of withdrawal and I'm going cold turkey (I've already mentioned this heaps of times, I'm just really proud of myself for sticking it out this long already with nothing to ease the withdrawal or take the edge off)

Please tell me if it's too early for me to start looking for a sponsor.
Perhaps I should check out AA or NA again, they hold NA in town, and AA close to home. I've checked out NA but not AA. I was turned off NA, for my own reasons, but I'm going to consider checking out AA, it can't hurt.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

It just really kinda a matter of going to some meetings, talking to people, finding someone you are comfortable with and asking them. At the meetings is usually some literature on "How to find a Sponsor". Basically it is strongly recomended that they be the same sex as you, have at least a year of sobriety and have a sponsor of their own. If you feel uncomfortable with asking someone, you can always ask someone to be your "temporary sponsor" until you feel more comfortable with them. I wouldn't say it's too soon to ask, most would say the sooner the better.

Also, if you find that you are just not "meshing" personality wise with your sponsor, it is ok to "fire" them and choose someone you are more comfortable with. As long as they are in a good place in their recovery, which they should be in order to sponsor someone anyway, they won't take it personally, and even if they do, you have to do what is right for you. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well Tyler pretty much said what I would have said and I concur.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
Please tell me if it's too early for me to start looking for a sponsor.
Billy,

It is absolutely not too soon to get a sponsor and start working the steps. I believe that the time between quitting drinking (which you are doing) and the time between getting some relief by taking the 12 steps are the most uncomfortable time period for alcoholics. You don't wait until you are better to start taking the steps; you take the steps in order to get better.

I sought a guy who carried a Big Book and spoke of a spiritual solution. I didn't like the guy much, but I knew he had an answer and I simply couldn't keep fighting my losing battle with alcohol. I started working the steps on my first day sober, right out of the book, following simple directions. Not looking ahead, just one foot in front of the other.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

Thanks guys. My first AA meeting is tomorrow
Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Billy, I feel for you, as I am at that exact same "impasse" for lack of a better word. I know that the main thing is not to drink (or use as in your case), but I am nearly terrified that I won't be able to find a sponsor to help me. (I think I'm more terrified that finding one will really make it all the more clear that this is my "new" life and although I know it's all for the better, it's still scary, because it's so new to me, make sense?). I do plan to sign up for a temporary sponsor at my meeting today (that I've already attended last week, and while I was there and spoke, I also said that I was actively seeking a sponsor, said so also at Sunday's meeting, a different one on Sunday, no takers yet) so hopefully that will get the ball rolling. Good luck!!