Notices

Interesting Comment at Work Today

Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Interesting Comment at Work Today

One of my co-workers told me "please make sure you don't go back to taking things out on yourself. It was obviously very distracting and you are better now." I was really confused and asked her to explain. She then said "you have just been in such a better mood lately and I don't want that to go away." I asked her if she just meant that I am a better person to be around when I haven't been drinking and she said exactly. SHe said it was a backhanded comment and that she really just wanted to make sure I stay focused this time. Pretty nice way of knowing that people are noticing a difference in me, even if it was said in a weird way.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

I probably would have been offended, but that would just be ego. My job hates me right now, I am only 3 weeks out of rehab and my team wonders why I still have a job. They whisper, and sometimes they are cold. But I have a new employer today, and that is God! So work hard, and give up the results. Amazing to know that people can see us change before we see it ourselves. That being said, I need to get back to work!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Since I quit drinking, I've had many positive comments from co-workers & other people I know about the quality of my work and how I am physically & emotionally. Stronger, focused, reliable.

I believe people were very concerned but alcoholism is such a tough subject to talk about so they acknowledge my progress in different, sometimes indirect ways.

It shows caring. It's nice.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to know that others see a positive change in you, and that you see a positive change in yourself.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quse56 View Post
I probably would have been offended, but that would just be ego. My job hates me right now, I am only 3 weeks out of rehab and my team wonders why I still have a job. They whisper, and sometimes they are cold. But I have a new employer today, and that is God! So work hard, and give up the results. Amazing to know that people can see us change before we see it ourselves. That being said, I need to get back to work!
Congrats on completing rehab. You are very brave for having gone. I am scared to death my coworkers suspect that I have a drinking problem. People who don't understand what it feels like to battle something like this can be very cruel and nasty if they find out you're struggling with this. The most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me was that I was a drunk, no one likes feeling like theyre being judged. I am glad you recovered.