Notices

Procrastination: Ack! Help!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Procrastination: Ack! Help!

I'm fairly new into sobriety -- 130 24-hour periods and counting! I've been feeling great, noticing many improvements in my life.

But, and a big but, I'm suffering from a serious case of procrastination, especially with regard to some tough and important issues -- past due bills and the like. I'm beginning to feel like I did toward alcohol -- I wake up in the morning committed to getting things done, then somehow I never get to them. This is extremely frustrating, and problematic.

Does anyone have any advice? At last night's meeting I heard "just do it."
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Maybe make a list by priorty..I know that sounds way too simple, but writing it down makes it more 'real' and being able to check things off will feel good I bet. I always do that!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Second what smacked said. Make a to-do list and don't stop working on it until every item is crossed out.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And just take one thing at a time...you will find it empowering after you get the first one done and move onto the second.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I agree, make a "To Do" list, and sadly I hate to repeat what you were told last night, but just "Do it."

Trust me, as Eclipse said, once you have done that very first one, a ssnse of empowerment will come over you...... along with a degree of relief! "Wow, I finally did it!"

I know it sounds so simple, and the heck of it is, it is!!!

I MAKE myself start something, once I start all is good and I carry it out. If push comes to shove ask some one to call you and TELL you to do it!

That same Power that you lean on to stay sober can be leaned on for all things in life that are the next right thing to do.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey nick,nice to meet you,we have a bout the same amount of sobriety,,im right behind you! im afaraid im gona say the rest as everybody else! write the list,dont skinp,first things first.dont give yourself time to think about it,,just take ACTION! key word there.and like was mentioned,once the first one is done i will be surprised if you dont feel like "wow,that wasnt so bad" and want to move on to the next one to get an even better sence of achievment,,easy does it but do it,,keep us posted and let us know how you get on with getting these wee jobs done,,if you know you have to keep us up to date it will spur you on too!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Why not talk with your sponsor about the real reasons you are procrastinating?
Why not start sharing about these situations in a meeting and asking for help?

You can look at this as an opportunity to strengthen your committment to live a better life
and to do the next right thing in regards to this. You've made a great beginning by staying sober eah day!
Keep up the good work and keep moving forward no matter what!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NickP3 View Post
I'm suffering from a serious case of procrastination, especially with regard to some tough and important issues
Fear is an evil and corroding thread in the lives of alcoholics, whether or not they are sober. Almost all of my procrastination is because of fear of the outcome. I can't face this thing because I might get an outcome I won't enjoy.

Oh wait, then I remember. It's not my outcome. I'm just carrying out the role assigned to me by my new employer.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

And those envelopes seem to weigh a ton each!

Sloth is still my middle name..struggling with the "willingness" part of letting go of

the character defect. I have (a lot) of mail to go through..and I just passed three

years. But it is true. Just do it!

We spend so much time and energy (thinking about) it...

(Doing it) takes so little.

My best to you and your recovery.

Sher
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IO Storm

There is one other thing I will share with you...and I have found it to be true time and time again.

"Bring the body, and the mind follows."

Once we begin...we "get into it", and the task just seems to flow.

Yep. Just Do it.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Nick and congrats on your clean time I have been putting off going up my attic to start the task of cleaning it out, something that really needs to be done. Today at a meeting some girl told me she kept putting things off until her significant other (in program) told her to do a 90/90 to start doing what had to be done and count as day 1, etc just like when she came into program. I thought that was a good idea, so tomorrow (ha putting it off again) will be day 1 for me to start.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A couple of years ago I complained about my procrastination to my therapist. She recommended a book called "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore, Ph.D.

I have no idea if the book is any good. I bought it but I haven't gotten around to reading it.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A hearty "THANX" to you all. It's what I need to hear.

A quick story may help, combined with some follow-up advice from a good friend:

A few weeks ago I was sure that I was behind on tuition payments for my youngest daughter's private high school. I called the school fearing that I'd hear that I owed $5K-$6K or so. Surprisingly, the business manager told me I had a credit. Oh, yeah, fearing to look at the most recent bill, I just sent a guesstimate payment. I was surprised, and asked her to call me if, on further checking, I still owed money. A week later we received an envelope from the school with what appeared to be an account statement. "Luckily" I got it out of the mail before my wife saw it. I put it in my car, and ignored it, fearing the contents. A few days later my wife took my car out. Oops! I came downstairs and saw the opened statement on the table. I did all I could to get off to work without her mentioning it... As I was leaving, she innocently asked, "did you know that the school owes us nearly $800?"

What a dope I am!

A friend asked me what she would have said if I'd asked for her help in coping with this. I, sadly, was flummoxed. In truth, she probably would have been glad to help. She's as thrilled about my sobriety as am I.

So, okay, JUST DO IT!