Notices

Antabuse Journal

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Antabuse Journal

Wow it has been about 1 month since I started taking the stuff and my life has completely changed. I feel so at peace. I can finally concentrate again. My focus has finally returned. I lost a few pounds. My skin has cleared up. I feel healthy. I have been winning my tennis matches. I am finding that I actually have a nice personality and don't need booze to make it any better. My heart doesn't pound erratically. I don't sweat at night. I can sleep deeply. I can sit still and feel my body and total peace and relaxation. My teeth are even whiter. Shall I go on?

I don't even think about booze half as much as I used to because I know I cannot drink. When at the grocery store I totally forget there is a booze isle. Even if or when I do have a craving I will need to go off this medicine for about two weeks before I can drink at all. By then the craving will go away. I wish I had this stuff years ago. My life would have been much different. Right now I am happy for every sober day and I will keep up my meds and live this new great life in peace and sobriety. This drug has been an absolute miracle to me and has saved my life.

Thanks for letting me share my experience.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! You are an inspiration. I can't wait to get to that point....I'm still working on it! Keep up the great work!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Lov,

Good for you, just be careful with it. I started taking it about 3 months ago and everything was great for about 2 months. Then I thought I would get creative and come off of it for a week so I could go out and drink a little on Friday and a little on Saturday, then start it again on Sunday.

That turned into a long weekend of heavy drinking and I have spent the last 4 weeks trying to get the first 12 hours of non drinking out of the way so I could get back on my pills. Finally took my first one again this morning, I've got about a 6 month supply so I'm staying on it till it's running low then I will re-evaluate it realistically with my doctor.

I'm going to go back to meetings this time, I quit when I started antabuse, mistake.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi JSG,
thanks for the input. I hope I will always stay away from the idea to quit the meds in order to drink. I am just going to keep up with this as much as I can. Right now my pink cloud is keeping me company.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great antabuse is working out for you! I started out with antabuse. I was drinking so heavily, every day...my lifestyle was literally nothing but drinking.
I felt I needed it to get out of the chronic cycle of drinking to cure hangovers, then drinking when I started to feel better, then drinking some more, and next morning I would start all over again.

I started with AA and an outpatient addiction clinic the same time I started antabuse. My antabuse was administered at the clinic and I saw (still see) a counselor there once a week.
I stopped taking antabuse after 6 months.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It helped my a lot as well. It broke the cycle of waking up hungover, swearing never to drink again only to feel better later in the afternoon and drink that night for the "last time". Did that ever go on for a long time.

Another thing is if I want to drink, it's at least a week-long decision.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

So Happy and productive. Today I feel great! I am getting so much done. I also feel like my old "pre-alkie days" self. I cannot stress how much this drug is saving my life.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ello ello!

Well done and i'm so pleased for you!

Keep going with it and make sure that you make the changes you need to whilst having it's support. Whether this is going to AA, another organisation or whatever. The mistake i made was not changing anything else but using the antabuse, lip service at a counselor and taking the anti depressants for a while. Just be aware of this please:-)

Thats not a negative comment at all, you doing great and did you know if this is the route for you there is no need to come off the antabuse at 6 months, there is an implant that you can have (very minor surgery, small local required at docs) at the point of the shoulder blade that keeps that level of the drug in your system for 6 months a go, kind of similar to the implant that women get instead of taking the pill everyday.

Anyways all things not to be considered on a Sunday i am sure, so enjoy the day and your great success...really happy for you!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Warning
Not all drinkers can take Antabuse.

To do so safely....you need a blood panel screen test
to determine your liver enzymes count.
This test is also done during the time you use Antabuse.

The dosage is also varied according to your liver funtion.
This adjustment is very important to your health.

Please consult your doctor before and during
your use of Antabuse.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like antabuse is like a methadone for alcohol...Glad to hear you are feeling so much better hopefully you can use that as inspiration to stay sober rather than just relying on the "i cant or ill get ill" you get from the antabuse... Keep up the good work.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I, too, took Antabuse for awhile and it was a godsend for me. I agree that it enabled me to do what I couldn't do for myself (prohibited me from drinking) and gave me enough sober time to appreciate what living could be.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Carol D is correct. Anyone taking this drug should have full blood work done to make sure you don't have any ongoing problems, especially with your liver.

Still feeling great. I can't believe more people are not on this stuff!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Wow! Im still here doing great! My life is saved. I can't believe more peple don't take this stuff! I feel so healthy and I have been winning all my tennis matches too! No more playing with a hangover and loosing my A$%. My appetite is also more under control and I and hoping to loose some weight.

My life is finally under control.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever keeps you sober is alright with me!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that it is still working for you. I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss this medication next week.

I dont think of it as a cure all, more of an insurance policy between bad decisions/thoughts.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Two Months now - South beach sober

Wow, I went to South Beach Miami for my son's 21st birthday and spent the whole time sober. I love Mangos Tropial Cafe. Wow you really can have fun as a sober person. I drank snapple the whole time while my son googled at the chicks. Thanks to Antabuse! No hiding booze. No lying to others and myself. No drinking till I pass out or puke!!! I feel normal again.

So far I have had no reactions to any topical stuff like hairspray, bugspray, etc. Then again, everyone is different. My new sober life is fantastic and I cannot believe the change in me. I hope anyone reading this post is inspired. Of course a docs approval is the optimum solution.