Notices

24 hours sober

Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 hours sober

Well in the next half hour it'll be 24 hours since i took a drink. I'm trying to do this on my own but truly scared. I'm quitting smoking at the same time. I have no choice. I don't smoke unless I'm drinking and that becomes a big trigger for me. Although at this point, I don't care if I pick up a cigarette because I need one. As long as I stay away from the booze. I'll worry about smoking later.

I'm just wondering what to expect in the next few days. I've been drinking for 21 years straight practically every day. I did quit one time a few years ago for 3 months. I did it cold turkey with really no side effects. I'm just worried now that I've gotten worse and just hope I don't suffer too bad in the next few days. With this being 24 hours so far, do you think that this may be a good sign that I won't experience such hell ? Just looking for educated guesses.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to say what you'll experience. Much depends on the quantity and frequency of your drinking. There are some things that we all face when we stop drinking. Cravings are likely to be quite strong for some time to come so I suggest that you find a way to deal with that. Many people here on SR can give you some advice when that comes up. Just make sure that you come here, especially if you're doing this alone, when the tough times come to you. You're going to need to find some way of dealing with it.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Scotty, the body is a crazy thing and no one can tell you for sure what you are going to experience. For me, I went through some intense sweating and insomnia at night, and once I did sleep, I had some intense dreams. I was very irritable as well. No matter what, I can tell you it is worth going through for what you will experience once you are done with the withdrawal. Good luck to you.

Chris
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a sticky thread in the alcoholism section that deals with withdrawal.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Congrats on day 1!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link to your earlier thread....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2253782

I still think talking to your doctor is wise

Best of luck....do let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty,
One other benefit of having medical help is that doctors can also make the whole process much easier and comfortable. They see and help tons of people quitting and I found them to be surprisingly helpful and understanding.

Congrats on taking action!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Scotty,

I think (one man's opinion) that if you didn't suffer withdrawal symptoms last time, and haven't so far in 24 hours.........that you are very fortunate and are probably not going to. For whatever reason. Count your blessings.

Here is a link to my thread, just what you are looking for.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2253660
Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Since you're choosing not to follow the advice given in your other thread about seeing a doctor, I would highily recommend having a friend with you or near by in case you were to have seizures or other common detox side effects that can happen without proper medical care. I know when I detoxed, even with seizure meds.. I still had them, but luckily I was at the hospital and it turned out ok. I was a several month long 5-6 drink a day drinker at the end, so it really did shock me that the withdrawal was so severe for me, every one of us reacts differently to toxins.

You might get off lucky, but it would be really irresponsible for any of us here to try to predict or encourage it, ya know?

Let us know how you are, I hope you get the help you need.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to your new life. I'm on day four, but have recently had a couple months without a drink, only to relapse and ruin my progress, and now I'm here again. You are lucky not to suffer serious physical symptoms of withdrawal, and I hope that continues for you. I feel calmer today, and hope that continues as well, but know firsthand the rocky road ahead. It truly helps to establish a network of support to get through the days of extreme temptation, cravings and adjustment to life without our crutch. I was doing well, was going to AA meetings and hanging out with some sober guys, then I chose to pull back, and it wasn't long till I was back at the bar. I'm taking my attendance at meetings more serious now, it is necessary for me to stay connected to people who are recovering from this addiction. Day four, or one may not seem all that important, but today is all we have, so if we make it through today without a drink, it will be easier to do the same tomorrow, hopefully. I wish you the best and welcome you again to a better life.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

firestorm,

I'm glad you made it back and have learned more about your condition. Your experience is a great personal example of that insanity of the first drink.

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
It truly helps to establish a network of support to get through the days of extreme temptation, cravings and adjustment to life without our crutch. I was doing well, was going to AA meetings and hanging out with some sober guys, then I chose to pull back, and it wasn't long till I was back at the bar.
I absolutely agree that establishing a support network for times of temptation is important. It is, however, insufficient. At times, we have no defense against the first drink. Going to meetings and hanging with sober people will not provide you with a spiritual experience sufficient to overcome alcoholism. Working the steps will.

It's a great opportunity, firestorm, to jump right into the step work with a knowledgeable sponsor.

And day 4 is an extremely big deal.