Notices

Hello

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I was doing real well with my recovery from alcoholism until my work started writing me up for stupid reasons. This has never happend in my life and I have only had 4 jobs and I am 47 y/o. all in the medical field. My depression and anxiety has gotten the best of me and back to drinking I've gone. I am not drinking much. Haven't been able to. Wake up with a hangover on two beers. I have to quit since I am on probation for a DUI. anybody have any suggestions I really need one. Please don;t be mean in your responses. Linda
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nature222 View Post
I was doing real well with my recovery from alcoholism until my work started writing me up for stupid reasons. This has never happend in my life and I have only had 4 jobs and I am 47 y/o. all in the medical field. My depression and anxiety has gotten the best of me and back to drinking I've gone. I am not drinking much. Haven't been able to. Wake up with a hangover on two beers. I have to quit since I am on probation for a DUI. anybody have any suggestions I really need one. Please don;t be mean in your responses. Linda
Welcome!!!

My only suggestion would be to get yourself to an AA meeting.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR........

I moved your post to it's own thread so more members
will notice and reply.

I do hope you stay with us...many of us have stopped
drinking and I know you can too.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah,too right!Welcome back and don't give up..lol. Oz..:
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome hope you learn to deal with lifes struggles without alcohol. Try the 12 steps, go to a meeting and quit drinking because you want to not have to.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Nature - SR is filled with some amazing people, not very many meanies (if any.) I love it that I no longer feel alone and isolated with my problem. That gave me the strength to move forward and get well.

I'm sorry about your job. I always fell back on alcohol when I was stressed - but I reached for it on happy occasions too. I don't know why I felt the need to stifle my emotions with it. Life is so much better when we cope with our feelings without getting numb. Nothing is accomplished or resolved when we're in a fog.

We're glad you're here - it can be a new day for you.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Linda...

Things are never beyond hope, repair.

If you are powerless over alcohol and your has become unmanageable, and maybe it has... DUI is a big red flag, maybe AA would be a good place to start.

There are other recovery programs, you can find a list here on SR web site.

SR is a fantastic place to be for the recovering/(ed) alcoholic, especially early on... so keep posting... Tell us some more.

Mark
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hey Linda, welcome.

I have yet to see (other than one very extreme exception) anyone here that is truly mean to anyone. I do think we all respond differently though.. so I'm pretty sure I know what you're getting at. I'd say take what you find helpful, and put the rest in your back pocket to read later. Sometimes the stuff you hear from such a diverse crowd of folks in here will resonate with you much better when it's stuff you're ready for, down the road.

I'm blabbing all this because I know I've been accused of being "too direct" or maybe even mean.. I just take issue with loving people to death, I don't do it.

There's lots of us here, with lots of opinions about what's worked for us, what hasn't.. etc. We can only come at topics presented from our own experience. Ya know?

*stepping down from that soapbox*

Welcome.. people here are truly supportive, honest, and very helpful.. and I guarantee you that some of the 'hard stuff' people say, is rarely if EVER from any bad intention, but because we all realize this is scary, lethal, horrific stuff.. and should not be taken very lightly.

I'm glad you're here.. read a bunch, post.. let us know you
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK, that's it, I'm going to be mean!!, naw, just kidding

Welcome to SR.

A dui can be the motivation you need to stop drinking and SR can help you learn how to live without the need or desire to drink. AA helps as well, and deserves a look if you want to find people in your community that don't drink.

I'm on day four, so I'm right there with you. I had a couple months without booze, went back out and got slammed on my backside again, so I'm back hopefully for the long haul this time. Drinking just ain't much fun when we have all kinds of problems that develop as a direct result of sucking the ole sauce into our systems.

Hop on board, there's plenty of room.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Linda, and welcome!
I am glad you are here with us
as you can see, lots of wonderful people here...... we're not a glum lot
you have taken a wonderful step on your road to recovery by coming here and reaching out...hope you keep coming back...hugs, grateful
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Linda,

Let's add it up. You have a recent experience with losing control (DUI) and good reason (P.O. watching over you) to stop drinking, at least temporarily, and yet you are still drinking. You say your recovery was going well until you had some negative circumstance in your life (job stuff) that led to depression and anxiety and a return to drinking.

AA's Big Book promises a reaction to negative circumstances in "Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity."

That is the response to negative things in life when one's recovery is going well. Serenity matched to the calamity of the moment. Not a return to drinking.

I've been through a number of pretty undesirable things in sobriety. Things at least as undesirable as when I was drunk. As the result of a spiritual awakening by taking AA's 12 steps, I've haven't felt any need to drink again when those bad things happened my way. Not always serene, but pretty much always OK.

Quality sobriety/recovery will keep you safe and protected from the inevitable life events that we all must face from time to time. May you find it.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community!!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Linda, welcome. You are giving your employer/supervisor/manager control of your life, don't do that. By going back to drinking you are also giving them more amunition to write you up about. Don't give them that control. Dealing with work stress is always difficult but leave it at work, when you walk out the door at the end of the day just take a deep breath and think something like "now I'm free" until the next time you have to walk back in the door, leave work stress at work don't let it ruin your life which you know drinking can do.

Judy