Notices

only me part 2

Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

only me part 2

I originally posted this in the 'only me' Thread, but no one responded to it, so I just figured I would post it as a 'new' thread. Hope that is ok.

Ok.. Anna, I can't just go & see my doctor, because they don't prescribe the meds that I want for the withdrawal symptoms- he told me specifically that only the Rehab people do that, so that's one reason why I went there (rehab).
Suki (and Anna), I do agree with you that I obviously need to stop drinking altogether- I really want to- it's just that I felt that I would cut-down and then stop- to ween myself off the thing, so to speak; I was also told by the rehab worker who assessed me that it was 'dangerous' to cut down to that level (2 cans as opposed to 2 and a half litres), which I did mention in another post.
So basically I want to stop completely, yes, but because I have been told (and have read)- that it is dangerous to stop completely unless you have strong support and meds, that;s why I haven't. Am I wrong in this? If not, any suggestions as to what would be a happy medium until I get the meds to counter the withdrawal symptoms?
Pearlwolf, thanks for the advice, but I'm in the UK, so I haven't heard of that shop/store you mentioned. But I get your point.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think your advice is wrong. But, it can be okay to quit altogether IF your dr has given you the okay. It's just that cutting down is very, very difficult for addicts to do.

And, it might be a good idea to ask your dr what medication he would prescribe for you to help with withdrawls, rather than asking him for something specific. Maybe he has something else in mind?

Anyways, hopefully you can continue to move forward!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
So basically I want to stop completely, yes, but because I have been told (and have read)- that it is dangerous to stop completely unless you have strong support and meds, that;s why I haven't.
I suspect you haven't stopped completely because you want to keep drinking. The alcoholic mind can find ANY excuse to keep drinking.

If you want to stop, stop today. Get medical advice and detox safely. Then leap into recovery with abandon. If you want to keep playing around, by all means do so. Most of us have done that until our delusion became disbelievable even to ourselves.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

kieth, I know what you mean about the alcholic mind making excuses. I alway's had some reason not to stop. However, if Eoghanacht stops without the proper meds it could be big trouble. Eoghanacht, do whatever it takes to sort out your withdrawl plan asap, otherwise it may never happen. Good luck buddy.
p.s how about ringing the NHS direct hotline, they can be pretty helpful.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Eog.. several people commented on your other thread..

and I just wanted to say ditto to what Keith said. Yes, detoxing can be dangerous. Quitting drinking isn't impossible without meds, I quit on my own..many people do.. The point isn't to get on meds, it's to just check with a doctor to make sure you're getting medical advice. A lot of the free help lines can talk about quitting safely.

One of the first steps to stopping drinking is actually to stop drinking. How much sense does it make to drink to quit drinking? I mean really.

We do rationalize our way into continuing the drunk.. one way or another, until we want to quit, more than we want to drink.

I'm glad I stopped playing those games, and got serious about recovery.. I hope you get there, eog..
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am curious as to what specific meds you are asking for.

I dont doubt your will to stop.
And I am not goin to say your making excuses either.

I would think that you could just go to a hospital or treatment facility and be medically detoxed there. They will do whats necessary to ensure a safe detox. From what I have heard. Detox only takes a few days or a week to get past the really critical stage. I could be wrong tho cause I am not a drinker.

Eventually you are goin to have to go through it if you really want to stop.
There is no way around it and its not goin to be fun either way.
Just do it safely. And relying on a pill to cope isnt something I would be too worried about. But thats just me.
It doesnt have to be so complicated.
Just go to detox and treatment and let the professionals take over. Work every bit of it and learn everything you can.
The sooner the better.
Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I wanted to quit, I quit. There wasn't a reason in the world that could have stopped me. If I could have had my choice, I would love to have been completely medically knocked out for that first week. It sucked! Sweats, shaking, anxiety, etc. But that wasn't a choice. Doesn't mean that I had no choice.

Heck, why not pack some food and a toothbrush and go sit in the ER waiting room for a week? Then if you need medical attention... there you are!

I don't know. Forgive me if this sounds harsh. I'm not judging you. I'm just trying to tell you what my experience was. I wouldn't let anything get in my way. And in hindsight, I'm kinda glad that the withdrawal sucked because it's just another tool in my arsenal. I NEVER want to do that again!

Wishing you the best!

Last edited by Chamabama; 06-03-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in another of your threads Eog - the best dr patient relationship is a two way street - tell them what you think you need by all means, but listen to what he or she thinks too.

None of us know everything.

Here's that link and that phone number I gave you a few days ago Eog.
It's scary to deal with this. Most of us put off dealing with it, so the fact you've been to the rehab place puts you ahead of the pack.

But there's other things you can 'do' besides waiting around for something to happen and drinking, mate.

Alcohol and Alcohol Abuse
National Alcohol Helpline - Tel: 0800 917 8282

D
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Flutter.. yes I know several other people responded to my other thread! If you had read the text of my post (the one above), you would have seen that it is completely different to the previous post. And I'm not playing any 'game'. I know that I want to stop completely, like I have said in a different post!!!. As Treefog understands, what I was actually saying is that I just want meds to help with the withdrawal symptoms, as I have heard and read that they came be pretty horrific. That was all....
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know I am still struggling with getting it right. I knwo deep down I really want to stop. But it really isnt that easy for me either.
I doubt too many here got it the first time.
Some take longer than others.
And some are quick to assume things.
I am pretty sure that if you go to detox and treatment that they are def goin to give you some kind of meds to help. But I am not positive.
Like someone above said. It doesnt work when you demand a specific thing all the time.
Maybe the Dr's do think a different aproach is necessary.
Either way as long as your bein medically detoxed. You should be in good hands and not worry about anything except getting throuhg the worst of it and getting it over with. Then you can stop dreading it and never ever have to go through it again.
I know I still havent got it down.Not even close. But you have to try and make efforts too.
And trust in what others with experience have to share with you.
They arent always right. But alot of times they are. Just keep an open mind and do what you gotta do to get where you wanna be.