Notices

Does relapse to drug abuse mean treatment has failed?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Arrow Does relapse to drug abuse mean treatment has failed?

No. The chronic nature of the disease means that relapsing to drug abuse is not only possible, but likely, with relapse rates similar to those for other well-characterized chronic medical illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, and asthma, which also have both physiological and behavioral components. Treatment of chronic diseases involves changing deeply embedded behaviors, and relapse does not mean treatment failure. For the addicted patient, lapses back to drug abuse indicate that treatment needs to be reinstated or adjusted, or that alternate treatment is needed.

To continue reading this NIDA article (click here)

For me personally, the purpose of addiction treatment is to gain better emotional/mental/physical/spiritual health. And as long as I stay in addiction treatment 'no matter what' I stand a chance to reach my goals. My only failure is to abandon all treatment and return to active drug use. Today with continued addiction treatment failure is not an option.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Zencat,
Great information! I appreciate your posting the link. Looks I will be spending some time there.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Intersting topic, for sure.

For my own sponsees we view a 'relapse' as a conscious & willing CHOICE to use.

After such an event occurs we try and determine why they made the choice at the particular time, to possibly prevent it from happening again.

I do not feel that a relapse is a treatment failure though... perhaps more of a failure to apply the treatment tools?