Notices

Pros and Cons of the SR site

Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Resident

SR has been my sole support for quitting drinking and I am thankful to all of the members that have helped me along my way.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only con I can see is as Ananda said: I can't give my online friends a 'real' hug when they need one. But other than that, it's been my sole support (mostly) and I depend heavily on it for venting and feedback and helpful advice and suggestions.

Being able to come here any time of the day or night is a real plus, I can come here any time and there will always be someone here. I've made lots of friends here and love them as much as I do my 'real life' friends. Also on SR I've made friends from all over the world, something I can't do in 'real life'. So yes, SR has helped me a lot in staying sober and relatively sane in times of trouble.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The pros of SR far outweigh any cons.

There are some folks who through just the support and guidance they get at SR get and stay clean and sober.

There are folks that come to SR seeking a means of recovery and are able to speak to people in different recovery programs and decide what recovery program they want to use.

There are folks that come to SR seeking a means of recovery and are either scared of or do not know what AA or NA are really like until they speak to people who use AA as thier recovery program and after finding out what AA is really like go.

There are folks who really need to see a doctor or therapist who may not go because either they do not know detoxing from alcohol can kill or they have another problem that they should seek medical help with.

In a nutshell for some SR is the only thing they need for recovery, for others SR is a stepping stone to a recovery program that works for them, for others like me SR is an excellent supplement to my AA program, it allows me to share my ES&H with others in and out of AA and also lets me gain from the ES&H of others both in and out of AA.

I got sober before I came to SR and know I could stay sober with AA alone, but I really do enjoy and gain from SR.

The Cons of SR...... none really, as others have said, there are misunderstandings because the lack of facial expressions and body language in some instances lead to people being misunderstood.

The biggest draw back which being an online community can not be resolved is the inability of the newcomer to see the twinkle in the eye, that look of serenity and that smile of solid recovery.

What gave me hope in early sobriety was the people I saw with good recovery in the rooms, they are different and it can be seen, that in most cases can not be found in the written word alone.

I give SR 2 thumbs up!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me SR is an outlet where I can post very openly and honestly my feelings on a whole range of issues without having to pay a psychologist to listen to me vent! The people here are very much in the same boat and almost every issue you want to discuss has people that have been down that road already. Personally, I am a better communicator in written format rather than spoken, can more clearly convey the message I want to express. I have a much different view of sobriety today than I had before I joined the site, and I'm sure will have a different view of it as I continue on at the site. This give me a great opportunity to thank all of the contributing members here for being supportive when appropriate and giving me a kick in the ass and challenging my thinking when that is appropriate. All of your input has been invaluable the past several weeks.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

SR is a great place. Everyone's already said it best here, so I won't repeat. Most everyone who comes here has honest intentions. I feel that this is a fairly safe place. The mods do a fantastic job. They look out for the members.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Just possible SR saved my life as well.

As Nands said, the more you put into it the more you get back.

As others have said, you don't get any face to face support, personally I don't see that as a negative though.

Don't always presume everyone wants F2F support, it was the last thing I wanted, I'd have done anything but have to admit my drink problem to someone, SR being here was a haven where I can discuss my problems with people I am probably never goig to meet and the majority of don't know my real name, if I hadn't found here a year ago would I have been sober all that time. Probably not !

Thank you to all my friends here
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think SR is great-- being able to communicate with others with similar issues aside from alcohol or drugs. which might have led to the addiction is awesome; and there are quite a few people here that offer amazing words of wisdom--and there are some great photographers here who post their pics and I love looking at them.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hello and welcome.i am ditto to what tazman says except i sort of joined sr round the same time i went to AA.cant add anything else to what he said really! hope to see you posting some more and let us know how you get on! i wish you well.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SR is a Godsend for people like me who live in a small town with a BAD AA. Hope I didn't make anyone mad. AA is a worthwhile organization that has helped many people- but it's all about manipulation & power trips down here. I have made some decent friends on this site & have gotten MUCH needed common-sense advice, & it's Cool to "talk" to people around the country & the world. SR IS addictive, but that's O.K. with me. Some people are addicted to fishing- as long as I stay away from booze & drugs I have a chance in life, & SR helps me to somehow naintain this scary, wonderful world of sobreity I find myself in- a place I NEVER thought I had a snowball's chance of EVER going to, much less staying..............
Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's MAINTAIN not "naintain" _ I ALWAYS F up. (!)
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcoem to SR

SR was my first look at recovery when I asked for help, its simply amazing.

Kevin
Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

SR, i wouldn't leave home without it!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am a 'puter person and have several other forums that I visit that are based on things I'm interested in. Gardening to Expat forums.
Internet is a very real part of my life. For better and for worse!
I don't really identify with the debate about SR versus f2f. I think they are just two different tools.
Some people find all they need with this kind of internet based community, some don't.
The bottom line is if it works for the individual. Some people here say SR alone works for them, some people make posts that indicate that nothing is really working for them, including SR.

As far as the original question: I like SR because it offers a wealth of information. I thought I knew what an alcoholic was when I joined SR, but reading the information here showed me I didn't have a clue.

I think SR also offers a back and forth conversational style that gives individual feedback directly. For an AA'er like me, that differs signifigantly from the AA protocal in meetings where a share is usually not discussed and there is no direct feedback. Having said that, though, I really like that aspect of AA. It provides me with a place where I can go and say something and my point won't be questioned. Here, points and topics will be questioned.