Notices

Cut down plan

Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cut down plan

Ok well today and yesterday ..actually, Friday as well...I drank a bit more than what I really should be drinking, because the rehab guy told me that I had cut down too much too early, that it was ..'Dangerous'... so that's why I did it.
Today, Monday, I'm gonna cut back down again, but ..as I'm not sure where to go on this, I'll probably cut back to around 3 or 4 cans, instaed of the 2 cans, at least until I hear from what the Rehab people are planning to do 'with' me.
Is th is ok??
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

People who drink a lot - and then cut back suddenly down to nothing or near nothing - can experience problems...I'm no Dr but I'm guessing that's what the gist of the rehab advice is.

Unfortunately Eog, cos none of us are Drs here, any advice I could give you would be guess work - so I hope if you don't hear anything soon (like tomorrow soon) you'll try some of the other places people have suggested.

I'm in Australia so I'm not much help - but this is a page of what look like some useful UK alcohol links

Alcohol and Alcohol Abuse

and the National Alcohol Helpline - Tel: 0800 917 8282 (came off that link so I'm assuming that's UK?)

Detox is just too dangerous to fool around and experiment with on yr own - and please don't drink more than usual - that's not good by anyone's reckoning.

D
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Eog. Yes in my opinion it is a start. As long as you don't ruin it by doing what i would do, I've started so I'll finish...also don't feel down about some of last nights posts. I do understand however. Evereyone has there own method of helping. In honesty I would have felt the same as you I reckon. Remember though these are people with experience of what we've gone through.
will power can be incredibly strong. Everybodies got it. Unleash it!! succeed my friend. You can do it. Keep posting.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion is to talk to your dr.because yes, stopping drinking can be dangerous, so you should get your doctors opinion.

Cutting down for alcoholics is REALLY hard to do. Most of us have tried and failed. I know I did, countless times.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eog, here's my 2 cents. When I cut back, I rushed it more than I should have. However,
what I wanted to do was drink the least amount possible without going insane. In other words, I didn't mind if I was on edge, because I expected that. I just drank enough to keep the withdrawal symptoms PRESENT but under control.

I'd definitely talk to the re-hab guy...........but perhaps you could shoot for 4 drinks/day for a week and see how that goes??
Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi eog

I'm no doc either but the first thing I was told when I first went to my local substance misuse centre was not to suddenly stop drinking because it can cause all sorts of problems and is indeed very dangerous. The problem I had was I didn't cut down 'cos once I popped I just couldn't stop. If you you can do that good for you! It wasn't a problem tho' once I went to the detox centre they breathalised me and continued to do so until my alcohol levels had dropped enough for them to safely administer the meds to aid my withdrawel.

Hope you do well and wish you all the best
Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

okay thanks you guys- I really easn't expecting an answer that fast!!. Dee, as for the Link, I'll probably only use that if I really need it- that is, to try cutting back again and if I don't hear anything after a couple or so days from the rehab, then use it, but thanks again!.
Treefrog, thanks for the advice, same goes for all of y'all, as for the willpower thing, well to be honest it is lacking, although I guess I used some to get where I am today (drink wise)....
I'm sorry that I don't respond fast enough to answer all of you and then just tend to answer you all in one message... are you all late birds or sommit? (night owls)! ...by the way that's meant as a joke, not being offensive or anything. I think you're all okay.
Oh, one more thing, Don't think I'll be talking to me doc about this anna, as they don't seem to know what to do, except for hand out meds. (that's my experience, anyway).
Take care then
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol you don't have to use any links or anything anyone gives you Eog - they're just there if you need 'em.

If you can't speak to yr dr about this tho, I reckon you need a new one mate.
They can't all be plonkers.

D