Notices

Things you want to do, now that you've stopped drinking.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I want to try having a romantic relationship sober, never done that and I've been married twice and dated tons! I've rarely if ever been intimate with a man sober. Of course now I'm 52 and meeting someone who doesn't drink or rarely drinks seems far fetched and I'm not sure I'm ready yet anyhow.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Well I am in process of starting back doing a few hobbies that meant so much to me before alohol took them over:

Fishing
Hunting
I hope to re-establish my love of life- all forms of life.

I am pretty much vegan as it is, but I want to embrace veganism fully without exception.

I want to focus simply on being a better person; a person that I'm proud to be.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good idea for a thread. The first thing I have to do is make things right with my partner and kids. Then get myself fit again like I was 20 years. One of the reasons why I think I have always drank is because I get bored so I will def have to get my thinking cap on about filling my waking hours.

Also want to quit smoking finally but that will have to wait for a bit, as I have decided one thing at a time.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I want to try having a romantic relationship sober, never done that and I've been married twice and dated tons! I've rarely if ever been intimate with a man sober. Of course now I'm 52 and meeting someone who doesn't drink or rarely drinks seems far fetched and I'm not sure I'm ready yet anyhow.
I think of having a romantic relationship without drinking and it scares me. Before I started drinking I don't even remember how I felt when I went out on a date. When I met my Ex boyfriend I never used to drink and I was happy. That feels weird to say, but I remember being happy without drinking while we were dating. I am trying to find that again. After I started drinking, I remember always having some drinks before going out on a date to relieve anxiety and not be so damn uptight. Now it will be different without the drinks, but, it's something that I will have to learn to get used too. Easier said than done, though I'm sure.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post

I am pretty much vegan as it is, but I want to embrace veganism fully without exception.

That's great you're Vegan! More power to you
Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

- eating better
- losing weight
- start a web design business
- learn french
- not avoid social situations with friends just because it's at a bar and/or a situation where people are drinking.
- be myself and not worry about offending people by being myself and speaking my mind.
- get up the courage to get back out on the dating scene. I still feel like I have all this residual shame from when I was locked in a shame box of boozaholing. My self-esteem is still low, higher than it was when I was drinking 6 nights a week, but still not near it's fullest potential.
- Increase my knowledge of world cinema. I am watching as many foreign films as possibel and reading/writing about them as often as possible,
- Increase my knowledge of history/politics. I have always stayed away from politics and deliberately paid no attention to any of it, but am tired of having to sit silent when people talk about it.
- Exercise 3 times per week.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post
That is great. I'm vegan too.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sweets,

Good to hear from you. I was thinking about you and wondering if you were doing all right.

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Lately, I've been thinking really hard, trying to find some things/hobbies that I might be interested in doing, now that I've stopped drinking. It's kind of embarrasing to say, but I don't really have any hobbies.
My life not drinking is equally as boring and unsatisfying as my life drinking. My life in true recovery is full of purpose and activity. I haven't had to go looking for hobbies; they've found me. I've stumbed into many varied things that I enjoy doing, most importantly, whatever I happen to be doing.

With recovery, as distinct from not drinking, I have a full life beyond my expectations. The hobbies take care of themselves.