Notices

Pulling up a chair....

Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was in Vegas this weekend. Since sober I have never been in such an alcohol charged environment. I was with a lot of people who did not know me well and even though I continually said that I was sober it seemed like a lot of people did not quite get how serious that was. So I found myself with shots being bought for me and put in front of me. Free flowing alcohol was all around. My family also suffered an unexpected death the day I arrived so all bets were against me— but I survived sober.

It is strange because I did not even feel that triggered there with all that craziness. I definitely would not have gone if I did not feel solid in my sobriety. I think there are three things that make me able to stay sober in difficult situations:

1. Getting in touch with my body: I have been exercising and generally getting in touch with my physical body. I feel strong and good. I went to sleep late and ate badly in LV. I didn't exercise except I walked miles. It made me feel gross. I feel like I am recovering from only that right now. I can't imagine recovering from a hangover or even one drink. Alcohol wreaked havoc on my body. One girl I was traveling with drunkenly fell and wound up with 20 staples in her head. This was not going to happen to me.

2. The first six months of recovery I mourned alcohol. I relived the good times in my head and mourned the fact that they would never be again. I thought a lot about the total experience of alcohol in my life and its passing. I started to make different memories. Vacation used to be even more alcohol charged so I went on a sports vacation this year instead. Once I got stronger I have done things I used to do with booze, alcohol free. Some things are worth continuing sober and some things, like bars in general, are not really fun without the alcohol.

3. I have been working hard on the spiritual side of recovery. I hesitate to use that word because for a lot of people I know it is an immediate turn off. I could just say I have been working hard at knowing myself. I feel engaged.