Notices

Question for those who have relapsed

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just a follow up from my last post about this issue. I have drank a couple times since then and have not drank more than one beer when I have. I was at a get together yesterday watching the Laker game and everyone was drinking pretty heavily. I ended up having one beer. I really enjoyed it and did not have the urge to have another one. Whether I am an alcoholic or not, I am realizing that my problem is that I let drinking become a routine. Now that I have the routine of not drinking, I am finding it pretty easy not to drink or to enjoy a beer every once in a while. I guess it really does not make sense for me to post this because I am either an alcoholic in denial or I am not an alchoholic and I am talking about drinking to people that are trying not to drink. If I get responses about this post being a negative thing for others, then I will not mention my situation again. Anyway, I hope all are doing well.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

rob,i wish you well in your quest,,i hope you can drink moderatly as you seem so focused on this! i messed about for 20 yrs deciding,,it was a disaster.im lucky to be alive.God speed.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Soft & Silky & Manageable

robc my father is a workaholic and he's had his drinking moments. He used to brew his own beer, till he found himself drinking too much and decided to stop. He drank an entire bottle of vodka at his PhD celebration party, embarrassed himself, and got really sick.

He in in his mid-forties now and might take a drink every six-months. I'm so jealous of this guy, he's such a terrific role-model and so full of wisdom and sensibility. He's my step-father actually, but he raised me so I see him as my real father.

Anyway my point is this; if he takes a drink (or 2) like he did when Obama won the election this year, he tells me how bad it affects him. He feels like crap for days. And he feels so hung-over the following day, he has to sleep in and it messes up his day like crazy. He never was a big drinker, he really wasn't, but after going sober for so long, your body re-adjusts and yes, 1 drink can really mess you up.

After taking a drinking break a while back, I went several weeks or something sober, I had such a massive craving and I gave in, bought a bottle of scotch and intended to drink the entire thing. I woke up in the morning after passing out, I felt sicker than I'd ever felt in my life, and the bottle was still two-thirds full! I couldn't believe it, I almost felt embarrassed for myself. Drinking an entire bottle in a sitting used to be childs play for me. I also learned how dangerous it is to drink that hard after being clean for a while, your body can't handle the alcohol like it used to and it can be life-threatening!

PS I returned to heavy, daily drinking rapidly after that night.

My 2c

Another thing robc, I had a similar plan to you in mind (and on paper) to get me started this time. Basically I could party hard this weekend, then nothing till the following weekend, then I would wait 2 weeks, then a month and so on. I'm day 4 into sobriety now and I've thrown that plan out the window. My goal is to remain completely abstinent, it's just not worth it, for me anway.

In reply to your last post - power to you brother.