SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Zero-alcohol beer. A bad idea? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/176974-zero-alcohol-beer-bad-idea.html)

LosingmyMisery 05-29-2009 07:15 PM

I was never a big beer drinker. It made me feel full. I was a straight up wino. I have had a NA beer a few times. Call me crazy, but I swear I felt a bit tipsy off of it. Psychosomatic, perhaps. I am really a light weight and didn't like the feeling at all. It amazes me to think that I could feel the trace amount of alcohol in my head after the large quantities of poison I would pump in on a daily basis. All I can think about now is, what was I doing to my body? I view alcohol, today, as nothing but pure poison.

optra 05-30-2009 10:34 AM

Welcome Sbr and congratulations on your decision to get sober.
I've heard that non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics, so for me the answer is no. You are the only one to say whether you are an alcoholic.
I wish you all the best.
Steve

north 06-22-2009 01:41 AM

Last week, my wife asked me if I wanted to try some alcohol-free beer with dinner. Not 0.05% near beer or low-alcohol beer, but 'zero-alcohol' ... 0.00% made by Japanese brewery, Kirin:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3513/kirinfree.jpg

After making certain it was 0.00% as indicated, I said "Sure. Why not?"

My verdict was that it was pretty good and went well with the spicy cuisine we were having. Honestly, I've never liked soft drinks and iced tea has its limits. In my case, at no time did I think my sobriety was endangered nor did I have any urge to drink more than one alcohol-free beer.

I probably won't seek it when I go out however. Drinking it could lead to annoying misunderstandings here in Asia with well-intentioned people looking to "top off" your glass with real beer. I've already had a few drunks ruin my tea by trying to refill it with beer.

Article on Kirin's alcohol-free beer here:

maz09 06-22-2009 01:51 AM

I don't know, the taste might want to bring you into drinking beer with alcohol in it.

I was going to get non alcoholic wine the other day but thought not to because it will probably bring memories back into drinking the real thing and then I might actually start drinking the real thing

Newtosoberlivin 06-22-2009 04:23 AM

had to chime in here quickly...

I'm one week sober today and have been drinking O'douls all weekend, and no, it hasn't made me want to go back to drinking "real" beer. And for those who are not in the know, it does NOT taste like real beer, not at all, trust me!!!!

At first I thought I might also be playing with fire, but no, I'm determined not to go back to drinking and think it's sort of a subjective and silly argument to say "but it contains alcohol!!" yeah, like .5% or LESS per bottle! So what??

Should I stop cooking with cooking wine too? The alcohol used in cooking burns off when heated up. I think some things are just a little over the top in sobriety and this, to me anyway, is one of them. You can't live like you're in prison in order to be sober, KWIM??

Sorry, even having had a few O'Douls this weekend, I STILL consider myself as being sober. I haven't picked up a true ALCOHOLIC drink nor had one since June 10, 2009. That to me, is being sober, and has been. Have I once gotten drunk or buzzed or anything like that? Not unless I've ordered about 2 18 wheelers full of O'Douls to get a "buzz!!!"

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth.

NEOMARXIST 06-22-2009 05:01 AM

Whatever works for the person.

If you wanna drink NA beer then go ahead. No need for some people to be so militant on SR about things. Each to their own and all that.

I personally won't as I'd rather just drink 'real' beer and I don't wish to drink alcohol anymore, period. But if you find NA beer helps you remain sober then fairplay to you.
All that I would add is that will you be drinking NA beer because you like the taste or is it because you haven't 'gratefully accepted' permanent sobriety? I haven't read you post/s so I don't know if you even consider yourself an alcoholic.

SillyBilly 06-22-2009 06:03 AM

Lot's of posts here - I haven't the time right now to read them all.

In regards to the OP; for me that would be a very bad idea. I agree with your wife, that would be putting you one foot back into hell - as you put it, if I remember correctly.

I've even stopped taking a blend of natural native plant essences, designed to calm the mind and stop racing thoughts, because it's made with a base of brandy. And I will be avoiding any and all alcohol tasting foods and beverages.

smacked 06-22-2009 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Newtosoberlivin (Post 2271068)
I'm one week sober today and have been drinking O'douls all weekend, and no, it hasn't made me want to go back to drinking "real" beer. And for those who are not in the know, it does NOT taste like real beer, not at all, trust me!!!!

At first I thought I might also be playing with fire, but no, I'm determined not to go back to drinking and think it's sort of a subjective and silly argument to say "but it contains alcohol!!" yeah, like .5% or LESS per bottle! So what?? Should I stop cooking with cooking wine too? The alcohol used in cooking burns off when heated up. I think some things are just a little over the top in sobriety and this, to me anyway, is one of them. You can't live like you're in prison in order to be sober, KWIM??

Sorry, even having had a few O'Douls this weekend, I STILL consider myself as being sober. I haven't picked up a true ALCOHOLIC drink nor had one since June 10, 2009. That to me, is being sober, and has been. Have I once gotten drunk or buzzed or anything like that? Not unless I've ordered about 2 18 wheelers full of O'Douls to get a "buzz!!!"

Just my .02 for whatever it's worth.

Well I'm kinda a "to each his own" type of person, but wanted to respond to this. It is not subjective to say that the 'near beer' or NA beer has alcohol, it's fact. Add a few of those .5 % ers up and you have a whole "real" beer pretty quickly. I don't drink beer.

Some people choose to still drink it, and if they aren't triggered, and they're safe, more power to em, I don't ever want to tempt it myself.

When I quit drinking alcohol, I .. quit drinking alcohol. Call me crazy.

But again, only MY personal experience, I'll never be arrogant enough to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, regardless of how I feel about it.. I'm only the pilot of MY life :)

Chamabama 06-22-2009 07:23 AM

I wouldn't drink NA beer, but then again, I'm not a fan of beer period.

I am a fan of wine, but I have no plans to sip grape juice in a wine glass anytime soon. Nor do I order the virgin martini's offered at our local happy hour spot (and not just because $7 is outrageous for a martini glass full of juice).

For me, it's about changing my habits. My sobriety is way too new for me to be doing the same old things in a slightly different manner.

That's not to say that I'll never have a champagne glass full of non-alcoholic sparkling cider at a wedding. But certainly not right now. That's just me.

Something I find interesting: Some of you may be familiar with dram shop laws (I used to bartend). Basically, if a bartender serves alcohol to someone until they get drunk, and then that person goes out and hurts someone (usually via drunk driving), the bartender/establishment is liable. One of the many reasons that a responsible bartender will cut people off.

Here's the interesting twist. If a patron comes into the bar already drunk, we can't serve them alcohol, and we CAN'T serve them non-alcoholic beer or we become liable. A single O'douls or Sharps served to a drunk person puts us in the line of fire because it does have alcohol. I guess this law wouldn't apply to the truly 0% beers. I don't know. I just find it interesting.

yankees24 06-22-2009 08:05 AM

most "non-alcoholic" beers actually do have a small amount of alcohol in them...And i cant speak for you but i know if i got one taste of alcohol its over...

north 06-22-2009 08:22 AM

A Reuters news link to the zero-alcohol beer I mentioned earlier:

Alcohol-free brew surprise hit in beer-loving Japan | Lifestyle | Reuters

Alcohol-free brew surprise hit in beer-loving Japan
Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:01am EDT

By Taiga Uranaka

TOKYO (Reuters Life!)
- Japanese thirsting for a beer, but not the buzz, are quaffing an alcohol-free brew that is a first in a country with a strong drinking tradition.

There are many beers on the market from all over the world that are labeled as non-alcoholic, but brewer Kirin Holdings, which makes "Kirin Free," claims its brew is the only one with 0.00 percent alcohol.

In Japan, alcoholic drinks are defined as those that are 1 percent or more proof.

"Those drinks, albeit in very small amounts, contain alcohol," said Kirin spokesman Kuniaki Tamai, referring to the drink's competitors.

"Restaurants and shops had not been able to loudly tout them as non-alcoholic drinks either."

Non-alcoholic beer is a niche product in Japan, home to several brewers such as Asahi and Sapporo whose drinks are as popular at home as abroad.

Japanese businessmen and executives regularly go out for drinks after work, and beer has long been one of the country's most popular alcoholic drinks.

But Kirin, one of Japan's biggest brewers, said demand for its drink, which it advertises as a soda with a beer-like taste, has been overwhelming.

Earlier this week, it ran adverts in newspaper apologizing for the shortage of "Kirin Free" due to stouter-than-expected demand.

Kirin said demand was especially strong among drivers and pregnant women who did not want to take in alcohol. A few years ago, the government introduced stiffer penalties for drunk driving.

"We are hearing from pregnant customers who say they like it because it has no alcohol content," said Kirin's Tamai.

A 350ml can of Kirin Free costs around 150 yen ($1.5), while regular beer is priced at about 220 yen ($2.2).

The popularity of the new product is a rare bright spot for Japan's beer industry, which faces sober reality at its main market. The country's beer market shrank by 15 percent in volume in the past decade amid aging demography and diversifying taste. ($1=98.30 Yen)
Why I think it's potentially noteworthy for some SR members who don't get psychological triggers to drink again by consuming no-alcohol beer:

These Japanese products are supposedly the first products containing absolutely zero alcohol. As many posters have indicated, drinking "near beer" or beer labelled "non-alcoholic" may not really be the case. In the US, "non-alcoholic" is defined as anything with less than 0.5% ABV and in the UK, "no alcohol/alcohol free" is defined as not more than 0.05% ABV.

We now have a case with 0.00% alcohol-free beer having less alcohol than a glass of orange juice...which often has small negligible amounts of naturally occurring alcohol.

getr345 06-22-2009 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by maz09 (Post 2270995)
I don't know, the taste might want to bring you into drinking beer with alcohol in it.

I was going to get non alcoholic wine the other day but thought not to because it will probably bring memories back into drinking the real thing and then I might actually start drinking the real thing

Absolutely no more than grape juice because that is what alcohol free wine tastes like. I tried Ariel Chardonnay (supposedly the best brand) and it was thrown away after the first sip, it tasted like grape juice, and not even good grape juice, lol...

At least the non-alcohol beer usually tastes like beer.

joedris 06-22-2009 11:45 AM

Can we please permanently ban this subject?

anthronify 10-21-2009 12:19 PM

The one dependable zero-alcohol beer, and available at your local grocers, is root beer, although I never heard of anyone drinking a case of it.

I think this subject is probably useful to newbies. Many of us were at a point in our (early) recovery where we wanted to test the limits. And we all know how that worked out.

Dee74 10-21-2009 01:21 PM

Welcome to Newcomers, anthronify :)

D

ElegantlyWasted 10-21-2009 01:42 PM

No alcohol beer has alcohol and for whatever reason triggers a relapse for some. To me it tastes bad and is a waste of calories. I like to replenish my system with a virgin Mary.