Notices

Back again, need some serious advice...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again, need some serious advice...

Well as most said I would be back and I am. Im coming off a 3 week long bender and it seriously sucks. I have a appointment with a therapist about getting into a treatment program. The question I have is Ive never been on a bender this long before and Im actually having some withdrawl symptoms for the first time. Have some shakes, of course the depression, head feels like Im at the bottom of a 12 ft pool. The ones that have me worried are that my blood pressure is pretty high and my pulse is really high, Ive been having some chest pains. I have some xanax that someone gave me and they tend to help but they wear off after awhile. It's kinda scary, Im drinking lots of water and trying to get thru this on my own. My question is do I need to head to the emergancy room, I own my own business and have no insurance, a trip to the ER would cost me a couple grand at least. Just need some support and some suggestions...

Thanks Still Searching...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I would call my doctor and ask her.

I never went through withdrwal like that so can't give you any E, S, & H. But if I did, I think I would call my regular MD before doing anything else.

Welcome back. Glad you're here.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you should seek medical help. Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous and if you are worried, seek help.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Because of the symptoms you have.....I certainly would
be headed for the ER.

Please don't mess around....if you die...the money won't matter.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Most definitely! Get thyself to the ER! You can die from alcohol withdrawal. Don't worry about the cost...you can set up a payment plan, just get help now!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

its to late in the evening plus its memorial day weekend all the doctors office will be closed until at least tuesday. My only real option at the moment is the local ER. When my symptoms get real bad I have just been taking a xanax and passing out.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Serious advice....
as you are passing out....call 911
and be very honest about everthing.

You are in danger .
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get to the ER, dont worry about the $$$ your life is more important
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well how odd, I just took my bp and maybe its because I drank till almost 4:30 am this morning there is enough alcohol still in my body or maybe its the xanax but its actually fine, 117/75 my pulse is still a little high at 95 but thats the best its been a long while, course I had quite for 2 days before drinking most of the day yesterday and last night, now tomorrow may be a diffrent story, I have a feeling once the alcohol from last night early this morning finally wears off my other problems will be back. Now Im just confused. If I go in with a bp and a pulse where its at now they arent prob going to do anything... I dont know what to do...
Old 05-24-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Those are very serious symptoms. Chest pains, raised blood pressure and pulse plus all the other detox symptoms........ please seek medical assistance now.

The cost of an ER is not worth risking your life for.

Edit:
I didn't see your last post but I would still seek medical help. You still had chest pains for starters and your life is not worth risking.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Would looking in the mirror and asking yourself whether you want to live or whether you want to die help you to decide what you should do? Would taking a look at your actions that have led up to this point give you any clarity about what you are really having a problem with?

Funny thing about alcohol, it lulls to sleep our basic instinct of self-preservation. Alcoholism continues to take it's toll and the desire to seek out the help we so desperatly need gets rationalized away. We become trapped in a cycle of self-destruction.

When we are honest about our condition and ask for help from those best qualified to help us, our lives take a turn for the better. Our hope turns to faith as we take daily action towards discovering a new way to live. We begin to recover.

Your choice...what will you do with your life?

~i am not as gentle in telling you the truth as God is, but if it saves your life...it was worth it~
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wolfchild, I dont think you read the whole post, I have an appointment set up with a therapist about getting treatment, Im asking for help. As for an update on my health Im very confused, my bp is fine, my pulse is fine, I didnt go to the ER, did have a rough time sleeping, really expected everything to be thru the roof today but its still fine today, maybe tomorrow things will go back up I dont know but Im going to try to make it thru till tomorrow morning and call my reg medical doctor. Thanks for all the advice and if things do start getting bad again and my bp and pulse go back up I will go straight to the ER. Thanks again...
Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well good luck.. sounds like despite the advice offered, you're of course gonna do what you're gonna do!

Hope you're staying sober.

Take care.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here is my recommendation having been through this many times....

In my last detox, I did not have insurance either and could not afford in-patient treatment.

So, I told my new doc about my alcoholism, that I had been to 4 rehabs, that I need medical attention to detox, but I cannot afford anything that's in-patient.

She refused to prescribe Librium, but she directed me to a psychiatrist that deals with addiction. That psychiatrist prescribed Xanax for me and I could safely detox from home. The total cost was $130 (doc + Xanax).

Now, the psychiatrist knew from my medical history that I had detoxed from home many times. If this is your first time, he/she might not be so lenient.

Keep us posted!

/rhn
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well that was kinda rude... why go to the ER with a pulse of 75 and a bp of 112/75, I was worried when it was 105 and my bp 145/105 but its not anymore, I have an appointment with a therapist tomorrow about my treatment and friends and family have been very helpful, I said if my bp and my pulse go back up I will use the advice I reseaved here and head straight to ER. And yes Im staying sober, why do some people have to be so negitive sometimes..
Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm not being negative, you came here scared to death asking for advice and actively drinking.. I was just going off your choices.

A lot of times people come here and ask for advice, and don't take it, that's totally your business. Detoxing can be fatal, regardless of your blood pressure.

I'm glad that you're ok. And thanks for the "some people" remark.. but I understand you're in a tough place right now.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please be careful about mixing Xanax and alcohol. The combination can be deadly. I know your post today said you are sober but your previous post stated that your blood pressure was lower than expected either due to drinking til 4:30 in the morning OR due to the Xanax.

I think that may be why you received some of the reactions that you perceived as rude. It's frustrating when someone reaches out for help, advice is given and then not taken BUT I think it is more from the perspective of we've been there and don't want to see others there yet we know we are powerless to get others to see what they are doing than it is from a perspective of a poster's desire to be rude.

I wish you luck at your appointment tomorrow and that you find what it takes within yourself to make the decision to get sober. I know for me it was the hardest single thing I have ever done but it has also yielded the most rewards. I wish the same for you!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Dude, they're looking out for your best interests, but it is your choice. You made it. I did the same thing the other night. I guess if I had died people would have called me stupid! LOL

Anyways man, keep us posted!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Anxiety may be the problem!

Hi, we've never talked, but I just wanted to offer my own experience. I just joined. My thread title is "5 days cold turkey off oxy!! I've had some chest pain also. Pretty frightening, huh? BUT, it's most likely heart palpitations. May I ask what your drug of choice is?