Notices

Ron- Addict.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ron- Addict.

Hah? Oh, hi there.
Where do I begin?
How I was- I grew up in a nice home in Littleton, Colorado and had no huge problems as a child. Rather perfect actually. When I turned 13, I decided to drink with a couple of friends, but got drunk enough to black out.
Never again will I drink. Not too much longer I began I drank again. I started smoking pot almost daily for the next 12 years. At 16, I had already used many drugs- ecstasy, LSD, mushrooms, etc. About 18, I learned to cook crack and began researching opiate pills. 22, I found heroin. A year later I shot it up for the first time and found the ultimate relief for responsibility. I then began mixing cocaine and heroin and realized I had no morals or will power.
How I got here- I got onto methadone. That never stopped me from using heroin until I was on a high enough dose to not get high from it anymore. So I started shooting up coke and drank. When I come down off coke, I feel like I'm in hell since I crave it so much. Drinking helps take that intense craving away. I found I had hep-c and continued to get high. I wanted to stop using all mind-altering substances, so I quit methadone. Withdraws were so bad I found out that pot helped ease the pain. That wasn't good enough so I resorted to scoring heroin.
How I am now- I agreed with my girlfriend that I needed help stopping. I enrolled into a treatment center in Denver, Sobriety House. I learned about all the A meetings and heard, go to meetings, get a sponsor, do the steps. So that's what I've been doing. I now have 71 days clean, the longest I've been since 13. I'm on step 1 and try to attend about 10 meetings a week. Unlike others, my parents and girlfriend are very supportive and go to Al-Anon meetings with me. I am so lucky.
Anyways, thanks for reading a little about me, hope to share more and learn from other's.
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad your here.
Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. Minus the drinking and H. I just kept goin with the crack.
But the ages at which I started doin everything is exact.
Great job on 71 days.
Hope to see more of you and keep up the great work.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to SR!!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, 71 days is great!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi downtown

thanks for sharing your story. and your recovery of 71 days.

you helped me just now be a little more thankful for my own sobriety...thankful for whenever i feel down, bored, restless, angry, lonely, or fearful, thankful that I stay with these feelings to some degree instead of getting high. I wanted to get high a little bit a while ago because i was bored in part.

if it could be for just one time i'd perhaps do it...but one of the things i know is that it might take me another 8 years to get clean.

keep up the good work
Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

whats up ron, fellow addict here named scott. congrats on your 70+ days clean. Your story is a lot like mine, dipped into all drugs and drinking until I found heroin and that was it no other drug was fun for me anymore. Keep up with meetings and the program. It really does make the mental cravings much easier to deal with. Hope to talk more with ya soon, stay safe.

Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
I found heroin. A year later I shot it up for the first time and found the ultimate relief for responsibility.
P.S I couldn't have described what shooting dope is like any better than that lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Best wishes for your recovery
Welcome to SR...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome.. I'm in Littleton too, if you're still here.

Congrats on the 71 days, that's a huge chunk of time.

Also, that's awesome that you have a ton of support, you're right, some people don't, and it is REALLY helpful!