Notices

Inlaws coming

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Inlaws coming

Good morning!

38 days sober today!!

I just got news that my inlaws are arriving for a visit here on thursday. When it rains it pours! I DO NOT have a good relationship with them. It has always been so strained. They are very odd people - very difficult to explain my 20 year relationship with them in a few short words. A few years back my doctor prescribed me ativan for the anxiety I experience everytime they visit - yes, it is that bad! At the time I was initially precribed, my inlaws were living in my back yard in a camper while my mother-in-law underwent cancer treatment. It was an awful time. I have mixed ativan with alcohol knowing full well what a deadly combination this is (even up until recently). I really only use the ativan exclusively for when they bless us with their company. Most of the time it is buried in my dresser drawer. I am not sure if I can make it through their visit without taking it. I am definately going to try.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I chose to quit drinking, was this supposed to encompass all addictive substances - even if they are prescribed?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Moe - If your ativan is prescribed, best to talk over dosage/usage with the prescribing doctor. IMO, prescribed medication, used at the directed dosage, does not challenge your sobriety. However, your own conscience is the best place to search for the answer to that question. Good luck with the inlaws. Jomey
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me personally I always tell every doctor up front that I am an alcoholic up front and I am completely honest with them. I have been prescribed needed pain meds and had any problem in the past.

If I had an old script that I got before being honest with my doctors that could be abused and I had used it with alcohol for pleasure I would be very cautious. If I really believed that I had a legit need to take it I would be inclined to check with my current doctor providing they knew I was in recovery. Giving meds that have potential for abuse to another sober family member to dispense to you can also be a good idea.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"38 days sober today!!"

You are a changed person now, right?

Prove it to yourself by showing honesty, openness, and willingness to view your in-laws in a different light.

What happened in the past can be left in the past. Change starts with YOU. Put your best foot forward to make your guests' stay as comfortable as possible.

My recommendation is to NOT set up and plan problems that don't exist.

You are thinking about taking drugs BEFORE anything even happens, right?

That is a HUGE warning sign that YOU need to address.

Just my opinion (I've been there too, you're not alone...).
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great post Tommy!