Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Believing In Myself (Daily Meditation for Healing and Building Self-Esteem)

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

May 22

It is easy to live for others. Everybody does. I call on you to live for yourselves.... Ralph Waldo Emerson

Selfishness, of course, is not conducive to healthy self-esteem. The point is that unless we first take care of our own business we will have nothing of value to give anyone else.
Selflessness can be a superficial hiding place. It is easy to live for others, to get involved in their lives, to endlessly ruminate on what is wrong with them, and what they need to do to improve their lot. But always and endlessly dwelling on others doesn't leave us much time to "look to our own houses." If our energies are always visiting, who's minding the store at home?
All real advances in self-esteem are made when we dare to deal with ourselves. Other people's issues aren't our affair. The real question is, what are ours? What are our own personal black clouds that keep the sun of self-esteem from shining from our lives? What character defects are making us want to run away from ourselves? What are our fears, insecurities, jealousies? These weeds must be rooted out if our garden is to grow.

Other people's battles are not mine to fight.

Daily reading from Believing In Myself by Earnie Larsen & Carol Hegarty
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Step 4, cleaning up our side of the street, how can one pass on what they do not have the selfs! That self inventory was hard, seeing my side of it all even harder, the forgiving where need be and the amends were hard and scary......... the FREEDOM!!! Wow!

Am I rambling or babbling? LOL
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thank you so much for posting this, Believe. I very much needed to read it today.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I do these readings every day and thought it was about time I shared them that way I can reinforce them in my own life too. God I love you guys!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Believe! Another awesome thread to read daily!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I use to drink because of among other things, low self esteem, coming into sobriety I loved when I was told Let us Love you until you learn to Love yourself. I am finally learning to Love myself.