Notices

Bar Job?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you look for a job in yard care/gardening
if you live in some areas....the season is beginning.

Look into health care...they often are hiring and will
do on job training. I did that to change direction.

I too worked for many years in different jobs in the
hospitality industry. It's stressful ...even if you don't drink.
I had no problems....until I became an alcoholic.

Then....I found I could not stay sober doing that work.

Congratulations on your sober time.....
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

21 days , good for you Neo !

Well , consider this job , yes of course .
I wouldn't take it if I were you .
1. soberity first

2. recovery

3. the rest

You don't need to have big money to stay sober and continue recovery but you do need staying sober to get a better job .
It looks like you are happy enough to dance with wolves or lions .
Yes , sure you can make a trial .
It could be a trigger for me as my experience said so .

Stay cool , witt
Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
never again--one day at a time

i've worked in a restaurant with a bar for years, both drinking and not. like someone said, in this industry most people drink and it's not unusual to find someone (or lots of someones) to get blitzed with most nights of the week. i started working there when i was 17 and for a lot of years i thought always getting drunk when you drink, drinking most nights of the week, having crazy stories, and being hungover a lot was normal behavior for adults (it actually let me rationalize my drinking for a long time, but that's another story for another day)....but i'm beginning to realize it's that way because the job attracts people who like that lifestyle: easy cash money every night, day hours off, short shifts, flexible schedules, discounted or free drinks, easy to drink on the job without repercussions if you're careful, etc. plus it's super stressful and you're serving, pouring, smelling and spilling booze on you all shift. just the other day i was mixing margaritas for someone and the tequila smell totally overwhelmed me. i spent the rest of my shift yelling at my inner voice to STFU because i was NOT going to the liquor store after work no matter what she said. and i called my a friend in the program (who was also a waitress) and talked to her the whole drive home so i didn't. things like that happen a lot. it can be done, but it SUCKS.

i have 33 days and fully realize that work is a HUGE trigger for me. i've changed almost everything i can (not working nights, not tending bar, cutting my days back, etc) besides actually quitting. i'm keeping my job for now because i love it, they're my family, and i owe them BIG TIME for putting up with me all these years. i also have a couple coping skills that i learned from an earlier stint with sobriety a few years ago and a lot of therapy, a good support system, and a FIRM conviction that i DO NOT WANT TO and CANNOT drink again or i WILL die. sounds dramatic, but for me it's true. i also know, like someone else said, that if i'm hiding or running from booze, any sobriety i build will be on shakey ground. however, if i had to find a new job tomorrow i would stay far far away from restaurant work....and it's all i've ever known. just my experience. congrats on your sobriety and good luck! (i like the duck, he made me smile....i hope he makes you smile too!)
Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well.... Its strange cause i dont think working in a bar would be a good idea, but thats just what i think....as for my expereince....

3 days after I got sober my boss put me to work as a bartender to cut labor costs...I was the bartender for 9 months.

I read 6 daily meditation books, my 12x12 and the bigbook throughout the day and at that time i was told everytime you think about a drink...think about god instead...I called people from the progrram several times a day.

I enjoyed talking to the customers and got a great deal of pride in that having come in with no expereince I became the 2nd best bartender (not near as good as number 1 though )

I believe that job actually helped me to build a stronger base in recovery. The focus on spiriutality, the dealing with alchohol and it's relationship to me as an alchoholic, the constant mantra of "i am ok in this moment, i have everything i need, i am greatful"....the whole expereinces was great....but i was sure glad when i got to return to my regular accounting job

I still don't think it is a particularly good idea if it can be avoided...but i also find my alchoholism doesn't stop me from doing the things i have a legitmate need to do.

Are there really no other options?