Notices

Went to a great party and...

Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

Went to a great party and...

was sober for all of it.

Last night I went to a great party and had a ball! The conversation was stimulating, I didn't feel that awkward and I didn't know many people either. I was even dancing with all the drunk people and havin the time of my life. The friend I was with was drunk and couldn't muster up the courage to dance. I think sobriety gives you more courage and confidence in those situations and if you know you can't lean on the bottle, you just kinda get on with it.

I think the key for me is to hang out with like-minded creative people.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good going! I'm glad you had a fun, sober time. It gives me hope.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sober dancing! No way!
Old 05-16-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NAP

Hehehe, way!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober dancing rocks! But then I have always loved dancing
Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Sounds like you had a sober blast of a time. Good for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
problem with authority

One of the things I learned about myself in sobriety is that, no, I actually can't dance very well. ;-)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by NAP View Post
was sober for all of it.

Last night I went to a great party and had a ball! The conversation was stimulating, I didn't feel that awkward and I didn't know many people either. I was even dancing with all the drunk people and havin the time of my life. The friend I was with was drunk and couldn't muster up the courage to dance. I think sobriety gives you more courage and confidence in those situations and if you know you can't lean on the bottle, you just kinda get on with it.

I notice now that I'm 3 weeks sober, I am much more shy around men I find attractive...and even in some social situations...I mean I'm not THAT shy, but there is a difference in the way I behave with people...If I was at a party and there was someone I found attractive there, and I was drinking, I would find a way to talk to them...now I can't even flirt...I think it's a self-esteem thing...That's the only thing I wish I could change...wish I could be flirty with guys I like and not feel so self-conscious...If a guy is shy forget it, I get nowhere...I am used to the guys being aggressive, so when I see someone I like who might be shy or not so aggressive, I feel awkward talking to them...If I drank I would just talk and not care...As far as being out at a party where there is alcohol, I would not venture into that just yet for myself, it's way too soon, but good for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
One of the things I learned about myself in sobriety is that, no, I actually can't dance very well. ;-)
LOL!

@NAP: glad to hear you had some sober fun. I am all in when it comes to be involved in life as normally as possible.

Hope you are having a great weekend!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After a while you learn that there's fun to be had without drinking. You just have to be careful if booze is around as the temptation is always there and relapse can occur in that instant when you let your guard down. But the message is a good one - you had a blast w/o drinking. I'm with Irish. I found that I couldn't dance either. Which means that I made an a$$ of myself for many years....
Old 05-16-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had fun!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NAP View Post
The friend I was with was drunk

???
Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

What's done is done and you had some fun. i'm glad you didn't drink.

For this addict, i had to change my playthings, my playmates, and my playgrounds because i no longer have much in common with any of that. Putting my life at risk is not something that i do anymore. The disease of addiction is a cunning enemy which i chose to keep arrested because i really don't want it to tear my life to shreds anymore. The spiritual freedom in deciding to stay clean helps me to make better decisions regarding what i will and will not do. When i'm not sure about something, i call my sponsor. If i'm still unsure, i share about it in meetings. If i have any doubts, i expose my motives in prayer with the God of my understanding. Honesty...Open-mindedness...Willingness.

You went, you saw, you stayed sober. Congratulations!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NAP

Sailorjohn, the girl I was with is not a big drinker but got drunk because an unrequited love of hers was at the party. What I meant was - the party was full of creative people who were interesting to talk to ;-)