Notices

Would I be better off just attending AA?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Would I be better off just attending AA?

Hi everyone,

I made a post the other day about joining IOP...group therapy...This is my first week, and I've been going every day..I had mentioned in my other post, there aren't many alcoholics in the group, mostly hardcore drug addicts who pretty much are mandated to be there, have been to prison...etc..I didn't know anything about the program when I joined...I thought it was basically intense treatment to learn coping skills for alcoholics and to help me stay sober...The excercises they have been giving in the sessions, make no sense to me...maybe there is a point to it somewhere, but I don't see it...One excercise was dividing people into groups of 3, emptying out a cup of pennies, and stacking them up in two's , then five's, then one big stack...another was looking at the person next to you and guessing their favorite color/hobby...stuff like that.. besides that I am noticing a few triggers in there...A lot of people have been asking me for rides home that live in all different places...I don't mind dropping someone off, but I don't even know anyone in there yet...and I have already been asked 3 times...Also there is a guy in there who looks just like an ex who really hurt me bad...and I had started drinking ALOT at that time, and every time I look at him I feel like I want to cry...and the last thing is, there is this one guy who has been making inappropriate, sexual comments to me...He has been kicked out of the program before, but they let him back in, because if he doesn't complete it, he goes back to jail...I have met a few nice people in there, but today I came home and I feel terrible...I am trying to give it time, but there seems to be alot of triggers in there for me, and I really felt like drinking today...I am wondering if I am just better off sticking with AA meetings. I have a one on one appt. with the therapist tomm. I will bring this up to her and see what she thinks. Thanks for reading, and if you have any opinions, I am open to hearing them.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hey there Sweets.

That IOP group sounds like a pirate ship. Pretty horrible.

Have no advice other than: keep hunting for anything that can help you out at this moment.

Sending some strength (the little i have to today) your way.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is best for you, only you and your therapist can decide...

What about finding a women's AA group at a church or somewhere, and attending before you make any more decisions? Or just about any other AA meeting not affiliated with a treatment center? You don't have anything to lose!

Thanx for posting... my thoughts go out to you.

Mark
Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sweets, that does not sound like a great support to me, you have to be somewhere where you are comfortable. The first couple of times I went to AA meetings I was not at all comfortable, at the particular location I went it seem to be mainly much older men who looked like they lived on the streets (I was in my 40s and came to the meetings in a business suit) and I definetly did not like the way they looked at me, then I found a woman's group and felt much better there but it still wasn't right or more accurately I still wasn't ready to stop drinking. When I went to AA in 2007 I immediately found a great group and although I didn't stick with AA I have stuck with sobriety and part of the reason is because of the good experiences I had with AA. talk to your therapist perhaps he/she has other ideas for your treatment.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Sweets, that does not sound like a great support to me, you have to be somewhere where you are comfortable. The first couple of times I went to AA meetings I was not at all comfortable, at the particular location I went it seem to be mainly much older men who looked like they lived on the streets (I was in my 40s and came to the meetings in a business suit) and I definetly did not like the way they looked at me, then I found a woman's group and felt much better there but it still wasn't right or more accurately I still wasn't ready to stop drinking. When I went to AA in 2007 I immediately found a great group and although I didn't stick with AA I have stuck with sobriety and part of the reason is because of the good experiences I had with AA. talk to your therapist perhaps he/she has other ideas for your treatment.
Thanks hun, I have an appt. with her tomm....The part you wrote that I highlighted, I understand where you're coming from...I am going to bring all of this up to her...I dont like the idea of having to deal with this guy harrassing me every day, and it looks like he is getting an attitude because I am not responding to his advances ...plus looking at the other guy brings back such painful memories...and as I said, I don't seem to be getting any insight from the sessions...there are one or two people always taking up the meeting time, and like I said they are talking about being in prison and the time they did, and all the drugs they used to do...plus family problems etc...it goes off topic...ugh having a rough day, thanks for your input
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe.

Attending AA never hurt anyone, afaik.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'd give it time.. it's so new, and everything is likely a bit uncomfy at this point. You could ALSO go to AA meetings. I was pretty darn uncomfy in them myself.. it's a hard road.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Maybe.

Attending AA never hurt anyone, afaik.
Can you write that a little bigger? I can't see what you said.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sweets. You are procceding the right way about this. Not every approach is right for every person. A group that has several members that are forced to be there will never be as good as a group where everyone is there because they really want to get better. You should definitely check out AA. Ask your councilor to recommend one.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rad44 View Post
Sweets. You are procceding the right way about this. Not every approach is right for every person. A group that has several members that are forced to be there will never be as good as a group where everyone is there because they really want to get better. You should definitely check out AA. Ask your councilor to recommend one.
Good Point.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am of the belief that there is no entity that is any better or worse than another entity.
AA is free and avaliable. Contrary to popular opinion, AA is not a Cult. You are welcome to leave anytime you want if things don't work out.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sweets,

Nobody said you can't continue your IOP and start attending AA. Most likely, when IOP runs it's course, AA or something else will be recommended long term. But, you may meet some undesirable folks in AA or wherever you go. It may not be to your liking. The point is, recovery is going to require that you do some things that you are resistant to do, some things you may balk at or not understand. I don't know why you are sorting pennies, but if you have already decided that sorting pennies is a waste of time, you may have the same problem with any recovery program. AA steps require self-searching, leveling of pride, confession of shortcomings, admitting faults, all sorts of things that aren't that much fun.

If I had known all the answers on how to stay sober, I wouldn't have spent so long being drunk.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Sweets,

Nobody said you can't continue your IOP and start attending AA. Most likely, when IOP runs it's course, AA or something else will be recommended long term. But, you may meet some undesirable folks in AA or wherever you go. It may not be to your liking. The point is, recovery is going to require that you do some things that you are resistant to do, some things you may balk at or not understand. I don't know why you are sorting pennies, but if you have already decided that sorting pennies is a waste of time, you may have the same problem with any recovery program. AA steps require self-searching, leveling of pride, confession of shortcomings, admitting faults, all sorts of things that aren't that much fun.
If I had known all the answers on how to stay sober, I wouldn't have spent so long being drunk.
Atleast that would make some sense and sounds beneficial, as opposed to seeing which group can stack pennies faster.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would SAY SOMETHING to the 'stalker' guy, and in front of the group leader too. Or would at least bring it to the leader's attention. Or next time he says something nasty to you, say loudly "I don't appreciate your harassment and want you to stop it now!" I did something like that in a theatre a long time ago and the guy was embarassed and left.

Give AA a good try. Go to several different meetings, different types and times, until you find one or more you like. They sure the hell won't be having a penny-stacking contest!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sweets79... quick question... why wouldn't you want to become aquainted with AA...?

(I was clean & sober for 10 years... then I started attending AA & NA and learned how to live. Thank God.)
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Sweets79... quick question... why wouldn't you want to become aquainted with AA...?

(I was clean & sober for 10 years... then I started attending AA & NA and learned how to live. Thank God.)
Who said I wouldnt? I already went to 2 meetings, that wasn't the point of my post....The point was I wanted some feedback about this group I've been going too, if this is how they are usually run, and if I would just be better off sticking with AA meetings, because this group seem to deal mainly with drug abuse and doesn't seem to offer any insight into alcoholism, and becoming/staying sober...Plus I am being harrassed by some guy there, so I guess basically I have my own answer...I am just going to go to AA and see a therapist once a week.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I would SAY SOMETHING to the 'stalker' guy, and in front of the group leader too. Or would at least bring it to the leader's attention. Or next time he says something nasty to you, say loudly "I don't appreciate your harassment and want you to stop it now!" I did something like that in a theatre a long time ago and the guy was embarassed and left.

Give AA a good try. Go to several different meetings, different types and times, until you find one or more you like. They sure the hell won't be having a penny-stacking contest!
I did bring it up today in the middle of the group...Almost got into an arguement with him.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sweets, your decision sounds like a sound one.

Good luck with everything.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Confronting the harrasser is often not a good idea especially when you don't know what type of person you are dealing with, it could set them off BIG time.