Notices

For those of you who have been in group therapy (not AA)

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Interesting topic, thanks for the replies. Not trying to hijack the thread.

At many meetings here the format is that we share about "whatever is on our hearts or minds".

People talk about every range of subjects, with the basic underlying philosophy that whatever is in our hearts or minds ties in with how we 'cope' with life on life's terms, without the use of alcohol

I find these open discussions and round-robins to be indentical to the group therapy sessions I have attended in the past, and I absolutely LOVE it...!!!

Just my observations and my opinions, I respect others who may see things differently.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Each of the two groups that I attend weekly are divided in two parts. In the first hour there is a handout work sheet to fill out and discuss. They are the recovery tools. The second hour is open discussion. And in open discussion some group members do go on about their troubles. When that happens I start asking the person talking some questions. Like solution seeking questions.

Now I have attended AA meeting that were more about sharing the problem than the solution. I relate those meeting to a therapy group session without a facilitator. Although these types of meetings are not the norm and more of a rarity, yet they are out there.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Now I have attended AA meeting that were more about sharing the problem than the solution.
I went to one of those, when I left I was beyond thankful that was not my first meeting, the discussion meetings I go to focus on solutions not on problems, someone brings up a recovery related topic and most of the shares are from folks who have found a solution for a certain problem and how they worked through it. Oh & I did not go back to that meeting.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Without a doubt the only worthwhile AA discuussion groups focus on solutions. Sweets, I'm not clear here is the AA meeting at the center you're going to combine addicts and alcoholics or are these meetings outside? The last thing you want at an AA meeting is discussing someone's problems with Percocet. That certainly isn't meant to belittle drug addiction, but the proper place for that type of discussion is in NA.

Now, having said all that, there are also addicts that attend the AA meetings I go to because they're also alcoholics. No problem there as we confine the discussion to our problems relating to alcohol. I hope you were able to sort things out today and will wait for your update.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Without a doubt the only worthwhile AA discuussion groups focus on solutions. Sweets, I'm not clear here is the AA meeting at the center you're going to combine addicts and alcoholics or are these meetings outside? The last thing you want at an AA meeting is discussing someone's problems with Percocet. That certainly isn't meant to belittle drug addiction, but the proper place for that type of discussion is in NA.

Now, having said all that, there are also addicts that attend the AA meetings I go to because they're also alcoholics. No problem there as we confine the discussion to our problems relating to alcohol. I hope you were able to sort things out today and will wait for your update.
Yep they combine addicts with alcoholics at the Health Center I've been attending...I thought that was odd, never knew they did that.