Notices

I'm an Addict

Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an Addict

Hello everyone. My name is Stephanie and I'm an addict. I've been clean for about a week exactly at this point. My drug of choice this last time was oxycontin, and it was a rough come-off that just about killed me (the whole suicidal part of withdrawals really played into my latent natural tendencies that had been either officially medicated or self-medicated since I was about 10). Before that I did crystal meth almost daily in cycles of several months at a time for about a year. Oh yeah, and I was addicted to a drug addict too. That's the big one, I think. I'm a newcomer, and so far I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm waiting to find my higher power, but I'm going to at least a meeting today of AA and hoping to start NA classes if I can find some in my area that fit into my schedule. If you're bored, please talk to me, because the boredom is the one thing I'm having a really hard time with. Thanks. It's good to find a site like this.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Stars, Sorry, but I know squat about drugs. You may have better luck on the drug forum sites. In any event, I wish you the best in your recovery,
Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to the SR Family Stephanie! And congratulations on one week, that's great! My DOC was also opiates, I wasn't picky, just give me any narcotic in mass quantities and I was happy. lol But that was 3 years and nearly 10 months ago, just telling you that so you'll know that you can live your life happy, joyous and free of the obsession.

I'm glad you found us, keep posting, reading through the forums, check out the Substance Abuse Forum too. Also there's usually a pretty full chat room, especially in the evenings. Jump in!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Hang in There

Are you willing to go to whatever lengths it takes to get recovery right this time around.
It does sound like your are READY!
Have you gotten a sponsor? If not, can you commit to do that this week?
Don't be shy about asking for the support you need from your family too.
All the best to you as you make changes to better your life.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. There are quite a few regular contributors here who have battled drug addiction, or both drug and alcohol addiction (me included). I find it a bit hard to distinguish the two addictions these days. They both run the same risks in truth.

It requires patience in recovery which is not something us addicts are well known for - we're used to seeking the instant gratification rather than working through things constructively. This is why for most of us this is a central philosophy early in recovery - 'a day at a time'. It also helps a great deal to have support from those who have been in the same situation and can show us hope for the future.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Congratulations on getting another day clean!!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

welcome to the site stars. glad you are clean and seem to be willing to do what it takes to stay sober.

I am also an opiate addict (heroin). Be very careful of the boredom, that was always my #1 cause to go back to the drug. I try to stay as active as I can around people who are HEALTHY for me. NA really helps me as well, i cant really relate to meetings of AA for some reason.

Definitely check out the substance abuse forums. I think you'll like it a lot. and again, congrats on getting sober.