Notices

Feeling needy

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

PrettyPoison, I don't know you, but I admire your honesty and perseverance more than I can say. We alcoholics have brains on overdrive, battering us relentlessly with doubts about others and about ourselves (at least this alcoholic does). I am so proud of you for posting. The fact that you did that and are thinking through the drink shows how far you've come towards silencing this beast within us. You may not feel strong right now, but you sound to me as if you have the upper hand. I have faith in you, even if you don't right now. Your strength resonates through your words.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well if you wanna come chat, I'm in there blabbing about nothing important as usual Join us !
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Pretty, you really brought back memories for me. I've been there more than once, dialed every phone number I had to no avail. It was then that I understood what my sponsor said about sometimes the only thing between me and that drink is God.

I got down on my knees and prayed. I read out of my Big Book. You mentioned a nice bubble bath-I've done that too.

Please know you are not alone, and I am so glad you reached out to us here at SR!

:ghug :ghug
Thank you Freedom. This has been a true test for me. It's easy when everything is going well, all I have to do is not drink trying to make good feel even better. But this angry, hurt, scared emotional tirade has me on my knees. This is when I have to find inner strength and I'm shaky up here on the high wire right now -- and I'm so thankful you're here.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am so very glad you came to SR for help. This is HOW it should work for people and you are showing all newbies and everyone how it can work when applied. You definitely can get through this night and you have made a great start. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but its all been taken. Just know I am sending some prayers up for you and you have all the positive energy I can emit right now. God bless you for working it and facing it head on.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
I'm glad to see you back posting, but not under these circumstances of course. I am proud of you for coming on here, spilling what you're going though and most of all, not drinking!

In all of my other attempts at Sobriety, if something like you're going through tonight happened, I never called anyone, I would sit and go over all kinds of crazy scenarios in my head and within a very short time, I was out the door. You are doing something that you should be incredibly proud of yourself for, you're teling on your disease and by doing that, it takes a little bit of it's strength away. . . even though it may not seem like it now.

I can't offer you anything that others haven't said. I did sent you a PM with my phone number if you want to call me (if you have free LD that is!) When I said anytime, day or night, I meant that. OK?

Stay here with us . . . you're among people who understand what you're going through and we do care about you!

Big Hugs,
Judy

Thank you Judy. Before I decided to post I was doing all of the crazy scenarios in my head. I was dangerously close to declaring my husband a cheater and by gosh I'm gonna drink the awful feelings away right NOW. Except I didn't and I came here, and I'm holding on for dear life. I don't want to just drink -- I want to obliterate my thoughts and emotions. I know I just can't do that. I'm frightened at how close I came to throwing all of these months away. I appreciate you reaching out to me -- I really do need to lean on you all right now, hugs...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by HideorSeek View Post
PrettyPoison, I don't know you, but I admire your honesty and perseverance more than I can say. We alcoholics have brains on overdrive, battering us relentlessly with doubts about others and about ourselves (at least this alcoholic does). I am so proud of you for posting. The fact that you did that and are thinking through the drink shows how far you've come towards silencing this beast within us. You may not feel strong right now, but you sound to me as if you have the upper hand. I have faith in you, even if you don't right now. Your strength resonates through your words.
Thank you HideorSeek. That is a very sweet of you to say. My brain is definitely in overdrive. I walked around in circles debating whether to go to the store or not, even how I was gonna hide it from my husband like I used to. But whether or not he's cheating on me -- I can't cheat on me too and that's what drinking would equate. I honestly don't feel strong right now. My heart is pounding and my palms are sweaty. I feel like I'm about to do something I shouldn't. Or like I did as a teenager when I knew I broke curfew and should have been home hours ago -- panicky and full of dread. It's tough to fight this beast -- it's powerful. I just gotta get through tonite.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I am so very glad you came to SR for help. This is HOW it should work for people and you are showing all newbies and everyone how it can work when applied. You definitely can get through this night and you have made a great start. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but its all been taken. Just know I am sending some prayers up for you and you have all the positive energy I can emit right now. God bless you for working it and facing it head on.
Thank you Horselover, really that is what I need the most. I feel so alone with this struggle. I know we each must go through it on our own terms but I am so thankful for the support here. This is just the most awful feeling. I feel like I've been holding my breath for too long and a drink would just take that away -- it's not true but perception can be powerful. I'm doing my best to face it head on (feel like I'm getting head-butted though). I really appreciate the good vibes and prayers.

Thanks for reminding me that this is a positive example WE are setting, see you did offer wisdom .
Old 05-09-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hope you are sober and well today Pretty. I am sorry I had to leave the boards last night. I hope you entered chat or pm'd some people. You did really good last night the way you utilized SR's tools. Check in when you can today. PM me if that's better for you. I will be away today for awhile, but will check in when I can. Thoughts are with you today. Hugs - Sarah

Last edited by Horselover; 05-09-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Good Morning Pretty, I was thinking about you and just wanted to let you know. You did good last night reaching out.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's nice to see a Januarian we've been wondering about, I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. Must be the moon or something. I'm there too (but not as extreme as you are). I just wanted to say that chat helps me alot, so stop by if you like. Usually there's nothing important going on so alot of us are available for instant support.
We still have a class of January thread, we'd love it if you kept in touch. I hope we hear from you today, no matter what last night brought.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just so glad you posted. It helps me also to come here and vent or whine. Keeps those thoughts from running roughshod over my reality and my sobriety. When I express them it helps to defuse them, to make them less powerful.

Glad you reached out for help in a tough time. That's what we're here for, ya know! Support! And helping each other helps ourselves too.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi pretty, just finding my way back to SR and saw your post. Hope everything is alright and I am glad that you posted instead of drinking. Check in with us.

Thinking of you
Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You have a million reasons to drink, none of them good. You have one reason not to drink, and it's beautiful. In my years of experience I have never, ever, seen anything good happen to someone because they took a drink. Your disease is working overtime and seizing on every possible excuse to get you to drink again. It seems that you've been doing a great job of fighting it off. Everyone before me here has offered excellent advice, and I have nothing more that I can offer except encouragement.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey pretty...Just was thinking of you this am and hope that you are feeling better. I liked what you said about not cheating on yourself. Good words of wisdom for ME to remember, so thank you. Let us know how you are doing, OK?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

I wanted to update and let everyone know I did make it through last night -- and thanks to all of you. I don't know how I was able to log on and reach out instead of start my car and head to the store but I managed, whew, it was a tough one. I still have the same marital issue I had yesterday except I am calm and clear-headed to be able to deal with it. I'm relieved and grateful that I held on and didn't buy booze -- that would have made today a real disaster.

You guys are awesome and helped me through a really rough spot. That makes it easier to open up and come here (if there is a next time - yikes). I hope I set a good example for others who get to that desparate place -- hold on!! Thank you my fellow SRians!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you Pretty and well done! Very glad you are a part of the SR family!! Keep coming back. Hugs - Sarah
Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you made it PP

D
Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm so happy to hear that you made it through last night and today! You showed an incredible amount of strength, more than you realized that you had. I hope that you won't "disappear" again, we need you, just like you need us.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am so glad you made it too.
I remember not too long ago..I wouldnt have even stopped long enough to think about reaching out. I would have been gone.
That took alot of strength and courage.
Keep it up.