Notices

Hi.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi.

Hi, my name is Alice and this is my first forum posting. I've been chatting on here for about a week and find the people here to be insightful and very supportive. I'm an alcoholic and have been for about 2 years. I'm trying to stop and haven't been successful. I was wondering if anyone here has tried antabuse or has had success ordering it online. I was all prepared to order it from one site but then it looked a bit shady so I backed out.
I'm not looking for an easy out here, I know there is no such thing when it comes to alcohol. I was taken to jail and I thought that that would be enough of a wake up call but apparently my drive to drink is stronger than anything else in my life.
If you have information or experience I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Alice
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Alice,

Yes, this is an awesome site. The people here are very supportive and have been my godsent many a time in the past month.

I am not sure about the antibuse. I would consult my doctor and get a script from him rather than ordering online. You were probably right to trust your inner feelings about ordering from that website. You never know what your going to get.

Have you tried an AA meeting yet? I am finding tons of support at my meeting. It is a ladies group. It is great to be around people who know exactly where you are coming from. Every time I attend a meeting, I leave feeling very validated in my decision to quit drinking. As I listen to the ladies share their stories I always see a piece of myself in what they are saying so I don't feel so alone.

Keep coming back!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Alice. Welcome to SR.

Sorry, no experience with Antabuse. Just wanted to say "hello".

If I feel the need to drink, I use SR as a deterrent. I will stay at this site for hours on end reading and posting. I'll stay until the urge to drink passes or I get tired enough to go to sleep.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Alice,
Well if no one has told you yet, You never have to drink again!
That is the good news! Are you thinking of AA as a program for your recovery? If so, do you have a big book yet? I would suggest you get one. Some people jump in a grab a sponsor in the program, and some do not. Some people have counselors along with the program and some do not. Some people work with a recovery life coach and the program and some do not. Some work with SmartRecovery and the program and some do not. If you don't know what to do not to worry, everyone will have their own opinion about what you should and should not do:-) The key is willingness, to listen to suggestions, and to open yourself up to possibilities.
You begin with step one.
Keep it simple and remember, you are recovering, compassion for yourself is always a flavoring that can be sprinkled through your days and nights. Be kind and compassionate with yourself and magical miracles will begin to unfold for you as you continue on your journey!
Much love and light to you always!~Cheryl
Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR Alice. You should probably talk to your doctor about the Antabuse, I have never used it but would be very wary about ordering it over the internet. I go to AA meetings and find them very helpful with my sobriety. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Before you take Antabuse...you need to have a blood test
done by your doctor. You also have follow up test
done as you continue to use it. Those are to check
your liver enzymes. You must be honest with
your doctor for this to be effective.
Please don't use it without medical advice.

You can do an SR search for our
previous expereinces we have shared on Antabuse.

Welcome to our Newcomers Forum....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi alice and welcome to sr........im glad your here.

sorry i dont know much about antibuse.........but im sure someone will.

keep posting and letting us all know how your doing.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Alice and Welcome!!

I have never taken the stuff personally but I do know that antabuse is something that you definitely want to discuss with your Doctor. Detox is something that should be discussed with a Doctor for anyone considering quitting. Nobody typically wants to do it but Doctors are actually very supportive of those trying to stop an addiction. They can make it so much easier and safer!

I do know many that have taken that drug and not been successful. Some people still manage to drink while taking the drug and in one way or another defeating the whole purpose of taking the drug.

I wound up in a detox hospital myself and then used a recovery program that removed my need and desire to drink. I used AA and it worked.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Alice.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Alice welcome to SR, if you are serious about stopping drinking the very first step is to see a doctor and be perfectly honest about your drinking.

One other thing is I would suggest looking up antabuse, Revia, etc. on the internet.

When you do this you will find that every one of them say flat out They are meant to be used in conjuction with Therapy and or a long term recovery program.

There is no drug on the market that cures or even stops an alcoholic from drinking.

No magical pill will stop an alcoholic from drinking, what keeps an alcoholic sober is changing them selfs into some one who does not need to drink to deal with life.

Some people can bring about this change on their own or simply with the help and support of thier family.

Many others, myself included use a long term recovery program to maintain long term sobriety.

I know people who drank on antabuse, most of them got sick, really sick, so they just quit taking the antabuse and drank!

Once they decided they were willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober, they got into a long term recovery program and have stayed sober.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ditto to most of what everyone already said.. but I wanted to add that I do know, you have to be COMPLETELY alcohol free (which can take days..etc) before you can take antabuse, or you will get very very sick. It is NOT a detox drug. I would never order medications online, that is very dangerous. Other than antabuse, what do you have planned in your life to support your sobriety (meetings, counseling, doctor appts.. etc?). I would not have been able to stay sober without the right supports, I obviously couldn't do it on my own as long as I tried, and could only find success and motivation with support in place. I hope you find what works for you, but please heed the advice given here already, do not take the antabuse without talking to your doctor.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Alice
no experience with Antabuse, but I would like to welcome you to SR
I am glad you have joined us
Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tazman has nailed it. (Well, Flutter too). Nothing more need be said. Welcome to the madhouse,
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Hello, Alice. Welcome to SR.

Sorry, no experience with Antabuse. Just wanted to say "hello".

If I feel the need to drink, I use SR as a deterrent. I will stay at this site for hours on end reading and posting. I'll stay until the urge to drink passes or I get tired enough to go to sleep.
Same here...and welcome Alice...I've only been on this site for about a week now, and I have gotten so much support, and so many good ideas and advice...I'm very grateful to have found it...I didn't think posting and reading would stop me from picking up a drink, but it has...If I have the urge to drink (which I still do have intense cravings) I log on here and stay for as long as I need, even hours...I've learned alot by reading and gotten some great insight... now I'm moving forward on the road to recovery, and I've only been here a week...Stick around here, it could definitely save you and put you on the right track.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Alice.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Alice welcome to SR, if you are serious about stopping drinking the very first step is to see a doctor and be perfectly honest about your drinking.

One other thing is I would suggest looking up antabuse, Revia, etc. on the internet.

When you do this you will find that every one of them say flat out They are meant to be used in conjuction with Therapy and or a long term recovery program.

There is no drug on the market that cures or even stops an alcoholic from drinking.

No magical pill will stop an alcoholic from drinking, what keeps an alcoholic sober is changing them selfs into some one who does not need to drink to deal with life.

Some people can bring about this change on their own or simply with the help and support of thier family.

Many others, myself included use a long term recovery program to maintain long term sobriety.

I know people who drank on antabuse, most of them got sick, really sick, so they just quit taking the antabuse and drank!

Once they decided they were willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober, they got into a long term recovery program and have stayed sober.

Amen to that...Taz you make so much sense, I always get so much out of your posts/responses