Notices

Remembering our Mothers

Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your special feelings about your moms with me. It is a nice feeling knowing that we are not alone.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

It's another Mothers Day without my Mom. I sure hope she is proud of me and how I've changed my life around instead of ending it. I have been blessed with children who were old enough and knew there was an answer, she wasn't that lucky.

Happy Mothers Day Mom, I think of you everyday and still miss you. You will always live in my heart.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

My mother was an abusive person and she never had a good thing to say to me or about me. She always let me know that she was not proud of me and that I let her down.

Fortunately, I grew up with my Grandma living across the street from me. I have the most amazing and warm memories of her in my life. She spent time with me, read to me. loved me and taught me so much. I miss her very much, but I know that she is with me.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Last night after reading everyone's posts I started thinking, Can you imagine if all our Mom's are up there in Heaven together (I believe in Heaven) looking down at us, smiling, proud of who we have become today.
Thank you so much for this thread.

Tears came to my eyes while reading your original post and then smiled at this one above. I do believe this. I changed my avatar in memory of my Mom for that reason.

I've shared this before, but wanted to again on this special Mother's Day...

My mom struggled to raise us kids (5 of us then) without a husband. We had very little in terms of material things. One night in particular, I vividly remember having tomato soup for dinner and asked my mom why she wasn't eating with us. She replied, "Oh, I'm not hungry - I ate earlier."

The truth was that there wasn't enough soup. My Mom went without so that we could eat - this happened often.

For the longest time, I couldn't look at tomato soup - today might be a good day to share a bowl with her. I love you Mom. Happy Mother's Day.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(((Believe))) - I love BOTH your posts, as well as all the other posts.

My mom died in 1991. She was an awesome person. She almost died when I was born, was told she'd never live to see me turn 10 years old...had "some kind of heart problem". She made it her goal to treat every day as if it was her last. She laughed a lot, never met a stranger, had the strongest faith of anyone I've ever met, and everyone who knew her loved her. I was 29 when she died, a month before her 50th birthday.

I'm glad she wasn't here when I sunk into the depths of my addiction, but I imagine she's looking down on me and she's pretty darned proud. I'm blessed that I seemed to have inherited a lot of her good traits..sense of humor, strong faith, and compassion.

She loved butterflies, and any time I see one, I say "hi mom" 19 years later, and I still miss her so much.

Happy mother's day mom!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, there goes the mascara....you all touched me so much. I am sorry for the pain you've had to endure, but I absolutely know that your moms are beyond proud of the people you are, and the people you are still evolving into. You wouldn't be here sharing and trying for a better life if you weren't made of high quality stuff.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Like Amy, my mother almost died when I was born.
She was so close to death that my grandmother had already moved in
to take care of my brothers and I while my dad worked.

She didn't die, she lived to be 90 years old and passed away 12 years ago.
She was the kindest, wisest, lady I have ever known, filled with grace and beauty inside and out
and she had a heart filled with love and blessings.

My father died when I was 6, and my mother raised my brothers and I alone, working hard to keep us, at best, struggling middle class.
But she made sure our needs were met, took us to church every Sunday, and she taught us how to take care of ourselves,
a lesson she had learned the hard way when my father died.
And she taught us all about faith, and trusting God to take care of us always.

I remember something she said often.
She said "If, when you die, the world is a better place in some small way because you lived, then you have lived well."

The world is a better place because of my mother,
she lived well and lived long and loved always.

Happy Mother's Day ladies, the love you share here makes my world a better place.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My mother is a lovely person and gave us a good and happy childhood. Thanks mom!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great thread. I lost my Mom to cancer many years ago. She is still close to my heart and with me in spirit.
----

to Mom,

I love you Mom and will see you on the other side when the day comes. Have the kettle boiling ready to make our pot of tea and we can sit down for some cookies & chat like we used too.

Ok... this got some tears rolling (in a good way though). God I miss her so much.

Have a Great Day Everyone
Old 05-09-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Something that I have learned is that my mom may not have been the best mother, but she did the best she could.

Thank you each of you for your posts.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Had a wee panic when I read this, thought I'd forgot but think I'm safe, Mothers Day over here was in March.