Notices

Mood Swings anyone?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Mood Swings anyone?

I was generally feeling better today than the past few days, and BAM! I saw something that bothered me, (ofcourse something I can't control) and it totally put me in a horrible mood, how bad is that? I know people have mood swings without drinking...I'm not blaming my mood swings on drinking alone, but I know whatever just bothered me now, wouldn't have affected me half as much if I had Vodka in front of me...If I didn't have some here already, normally I'd run to the store to get some...but not doing that anymore I think the mood swings are definitely worse now that I'm not drinking...Has anyone else experienced severe mood swings in early sobriety? I guess it has alot to do with experiencing emotions that I can't stand and not being able to medicate.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah,

I certainly had my share of those particularly in early sobriety. I sucked up the vodka too before I got sober so I wonder if part of it is just experiencing "normal emotion" that I didn't experience before.

Part of the other thing I never experienced drinking was a feeling of peace and a relaxed state of being that never was possible when I was drinking. If you are new to sobriety just hang in there, the good stuff is yet to come. I love not craving or ever needing a drink today and being free of that nasty poison. Life is just so much better sober!

Glad to see you here Sweets!
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been on a mood roller-coaster . . . up, down . . . up, down. Although, I am certain the downs have out numbered the ups at this point. I even get angry trying to figure out why I am so angry! Then, I go from angry to wanting to cry and from wanting to cry to being content. It's all very exhausting, and I too have wondered why I should stay on the roller-coaster when I could get off at any time by taking a couple drinks, and thereby, numbing this perceived emotional breakdown.

Also, I have caught myself thinking . . . "you're a drunk. That's the way it is, and you can't change it. So, why struggle and paddle upstream. Come on! Have some fun with it!" Even worse, I have thought . . . "even if I die before my time because of my drinking, oh well, that must be the way I was intended to go". It's sick.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Normal I think.

How long have you been sober. I found with myself over the first week or so I was totally euphoric and in a daze (so happy) because I had no alcohol the night before, but as time went on the excitement wore off and the normal hum drum of life kicked in. Yeah I did have to watch moods, but just a gentle reminder that I was sober was usually enough to boot that mood right out the back door. There is probably some inner work you may need to do to confront whatever it is that you can't stand. I know you know that burying them with alcohol only shoves the issue under the carpet. Maybe the time has come to go head on and get these issues sorted out once and for all. You will gain heaps of personal integrity for yourself if you do. All the best.
:praying
Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is a time of emotional ups and downs: breathe, relax, occupy yourself - it will pass. For me, I use my dogs' love of me a lot. I give them biscuits, pet them a lot, take them for walks, interact with them any way I can. They keep me grounded in reality and grateful to be sober to take better care of them.

Hang in there, it WILL get better!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dime;2219811]Oh yeah,

I certainly had my share of those particularly in early sobriety. I sucked up the vodka too before I got sober so I wonder if part of it is just experiencing "normal emotion" that I didn't experience before.

Part of the other thing I never experienced drinking was a feeling of peace and a relaxed state of being that never was possible when I was drinking. If you are new to sobriety just hang in there, the good stuff is yet to come. I love not craving or ever needing a drink today and being free of that nasty poison. Life is just so much better sober!
Glad to see you here Sweets!

I look forward to feeling that way...It gives me hope when people say that life is so much better sober, because for me at the point I started drinking, sober was too painful for m....I guess what I am trying to say is...one day I wish to be like those of you who are happy sober, because you found a way to actually BE HAPPY sober...if that makes any sense? If being sober just meant barely tolerating life day to day, it doesn't seem so great..but I do BELIEVE there IS a way to be HAPPY sober, and many people on here have found it...I just have to find out what that is for myself...because being "happy" drinking is just an illusion...Many times I wasn't even "happy' drinking...I just drank to numb the pain whether it be physical or emotional (90% emotional) and get a little motivation to function throughout the day...and most days I didn't even function...Thanks for your input
Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Relief View Post
I've been on a mood roller-coaster . . . up, down . . . up, down. Although, I am certain the downs have out numbered the ups at this point. I even get angry trying to figure out why I am so angry! Then, I go from angry to wanting to cry and from wanting to cry to being content. It's all very exhausting, and I too have wondered why I should stay on the roller-coaster when I could get off at any time by taking a couple drinks, and thereby, numbing this perceived emotional breakdown.

Also, I have caught myself thinking . . . "you're a drunk. That's the way it is, and you can't change it. So, why struggle and paddle upstream. Come on! Have some fun with it!" Even worse, I have thought . . . "even if I die before my time because of my drinking, oh well, that must be the way I was intended to go". It's sick.
Hi,

I did read your other post before, and mentioned we have the same sobriety time...Yesterday was really hard for me...today on and off, but for the most part my decent mood has been pretty stable...I just can't think too long about certain things that are bothering me, or I really wind up upsetting myself...I thought many times why even bother trying to quit if this is the only thing that's helping me get through life...but then I realized it's not helping me get through life, it's numbing the pain and problems I have temporarily, but when my seratonin levels drop again, and reality kicks in I'm going to feel even worse than I did before I started...and I realized I am going to be in alot of trouble if I continue down this road......if I keep drinking like this I will end up homeless eventually...I don't have much family, so I always think when they are gone, and I am drinking, jobless and homeless, what then? That really scared me...Plus I gained weight from drinking and just felt like I was starting to let myself go...You have to look at the big picture...It is so hard...and unless you have been through it, people find it hard to understand..My mom is trying to be supportive, but I know she doesn't "truly" understand the addiction, I don't expect her too. I just told her, try not to smoke a cigarette for the day (she's been smoking her whole life) and see how it feels...I don't even know how I am doing this, but I know these wonderful people on here and all the support and information I have been getting are the reason I haven't picked up a drink...I'm still not getting my hopes way up yet, I know there's a chance I can relapse anytime, especially being in early recovery, but I am hanging in there...now I'm moving forward with therapy and looking possibly into AA...Keep posting and reading on here...Knowledge is power.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJB

I agree wholeheartedly with wanting to be like those on this site who have been sober for ages and are enjoying it and that's why i keep coming back here-and also to compare notes with the others struggling with me-one week today!

Anvilhead said:
"make sure you are eating well, not just moving food from hand to mouth"
That reminds me of my therapist who said to me as i was leaving - "try to enjoy simple things for example when you eat just savour every mouthful and think of the taste of what you're eating".
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julesy View Post
How long have you been sober. I found with myself over the first week or so I was totally euphoric and in a daze (so happy) because I had no alcohol the night before, but as time went on the excitement wore off and the normal hum drum of life kicked in. Yeah I did have to watch moods, but just a gentle reminder that I was sober was usually enough to boot that mood right out the back door. There is probably some inner work you may need to do to confront whatever it is that you can't stand. I know you know that burying them with alcohol only shoves the issue under the carpet. Maybe the time has come to go head on and get these issues sorted out once and for all. You will gain heaps of personal integrity for yourself if you do. All the best.:praying

I've been sober now 12 days...The longest I've done in the past 4-5 years is a month...Oh yes there is alot of inner work I need to do...and yes you hit the nail right on the head, I believe the time has come for me to find out who I really am and realize what my problems are and find a healthy way to deal with them...and I definitely need to become stronger emotionally..It's very early on, I hope I stick to it, and I think the best way to do that is to concentrate 100% on my sobriety and not let any outside forces make me make me lose sight of what I NEED to do..That's why I think dating/relationships should be put on hold right now..I'm not used to doing that...I'm used to meeting the wrong guy and putting them first, ahead of my own well-being...then winding up disappointed and drowning my emotions in alcohol...that has to change now, it's a vicious cycle...I have to work on letting go of any toxic people I have in my life...easier said then done.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
right now you are still very raw, like somebody peeled ALL your skin off and you're nothing but nerve endings. that will change in time. couple things you CAN do.....

make sure you are eating well, not just moving food from hand to mouth, but that the foods you eat are wholesome healthy and high quality - reduce processed foods/junk as much as possible - the high sugar/high carb stuff is converted TO sugar in your system, much resembling the way the body breaks down BOOZE and can set off cravings unintentionally.

make sure you are getting lots of rest.
make sure you are taking a multivitamin, maybe even add a Bcomplex....Niacin (vitamin B3) was one of the early "remedies" for alcoholism, by the way.

get to meetings or get involved in SOME type of face to face interactive support group if possible. understand that nobody ever died from a feeling....and that ALL of our emotions are ok, neither good nor bad, they simply are. WE have, over time, assigned certain properties and reactions TO them. we can be mad and not have to rip the heads off bunnies. we can be sad and still function. we can be confused, upset, elated.

we can have a million thoughts and not act upon any of them. we can feel what we feel and survive the experience. no one feeling lasts forever, all things pass in time. it's all ok, part of who we are.......
Thank you for the wonderful advice...You made some really great points there...I do believe I a bottle of Vitamin B stress complex somewhere lol..I have to check the date on those...I made an appt. for Friday to meet with a therapist...Actually, it's a Mental Health Center where they specialize in addictions...they do group and individual therapy. I like what you said about nobody died from a feeling, they do pass...I sure as hell felt like I was going to though or wanted to from that feeling...that's the hard part ...functioning while having those feelings, and when those feelings keep coming and never seem to end, I guess that's what therapy is about, finding more out about me and why I keep feeling this way, or get myself involved in situations that cause so much frustration and disappointment......as far as diet, I am eating healthier now, I need to shed some lbs,the alcohol and careless eating put some weight on... I know that would be alot to take on right now, losing weight and staying sober, although I am trying...When I was drinking though, I didn't care what I ate...I figured I already had so many calories for the day, and I was so disgusted with myself, (plus I have some GI problems which would add to the disgust, I know ,drinking with GI problems, great) what am I gonna do? eat a salad now? So I just said the hell with it, I'll eat pizza and cupcakes, ugh, now I'm rambling, anywhoo, Thank you again for these tips...greatly appreciated
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Early recovery is a time of emotional ups and downs: breathe, relax, occupy yourself - it will pass. For me, I use my dogs' love of me a lot. I give them biscuits, pet them a lot, take them for walks, interact with them any way I can. They keep me grounded in reality and grateful to be sober to take better care of them.

Thank you...as a matter of fact my friend stopped by with her dog before..That helped me get my mind off things a little...I love animals, they are great therapy.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post

I'd rather live in my van with my dogs than live in a mansion without them.

I like that!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with wanting to be like those on this site who have been sober for ages and are enjoying it and that's why i keep coming back here-and also to compare notes with the others struggling with me-one week today!
Anvilhead said:
"make sure you are eating well, not just moving food from hand to mouth"
That reminds me of my therapist who said to me as i was leaving - "try to enjoy simple things for example when you eat just savour every mouthful and think of the taste of what you're eating".
That is the KEY...being sober AND HAPPY...that's what I hope to find one day also...I am trying to keep the faith..hang in there with me, friend
Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sweets my good friend, You're looking POSSIBLY into AA? POSSIBLY? There's no possibly about it. Get to a meeting! Now! Stop messing around. The benefits that you'll get from being in AA are immeasureable. Trust me on this. Hasn't all the other advice I've given you been of some small help?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Sweets my good friend, You're looking POSSIBLY into AA? POSSIBLY? There's no possibly about it. Get to a meeting! Now! Stop messing around. The benefits that you'll get from being in AA are immeasureable. Trust me on this. Hasn't all the other advice I've given you been of some small help?
I made an appointment with a therapist for Friday...seeeee I am taking steps lol!!! Didn't you read my other post! I want to see how that goes...it's group/individual therapy...they specialize in alcohol addiction...I don't want to overload myself at once...one thing at a time...right now I don't have any motivation to do ANYTHING at all...I feel utterly disgusted...I'm glad I even picked up the phone and inquired about this.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post

Has anyone else experienced severe mood swings in early sobriety? I guess it has alot to do with experiencing emotions
uh... mood swings....

Mine were so bad, I'd get hangovers and I wasn't even drinking. It gets better... promise!

Mark
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
uh... mood swings....

Mine were so bad, I'd get hangovers and I wasn't even drinking. It gets better... promise!

Mark
I really hope it does...I feel like I'm going nuts.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post

I feel like I'm going nuts.
Just don't drink!! I know you are getting bombarded to go to AA... and you're overwhelmed... but even if it gets you out of the house, gives you something to do, get your mind off it... you should consider it. We all know what you are going through.

I didn't work for a couple weeks after rehab... going to meetings really, really helped, there were meetings in the morning, at lunch, evening and night. Besides the message, it broke up the monotony...

Well... hang in there... Keep posting

Mark
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

sweets......yer doing just great..

Mood swings.......oh sure.. first month or two.

loving everyone one minute........plotting their slow death the next....lol...lol.

i mean it.........i was nuts.

It gets alot easier......calmer.......and things level out.

dont forget kid..........you aint drinking........hows that for an achievement.

trucker.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, I just discovered your site last night.Good stuff! I have been sober since 12-20-06.I was drinking a fifth and a half a day for 4 or 5 years.I never tried to get sober before.And 11-15-06, I crashed my car and got my third D.U.I.I. So the Judge gave a very hard nudge to either work a intensive treatment plan,or jail.Well I made the right choice. And got sober for the first time.

The first two months were hell, I would go from very happy, to very sad.I would be up one day,and the next morning I was down,way down.As time went on, the up's were a little less and the downs werent as bad.The up's got to be a few days followed by a day or two of down days.Over the next few months, things evened out to what I assume is "normal" and I am now at an even keel.I feel good most days,and have the normal day to day B.S. I have a treatment counselor I see every 3 weeks, and go to 4 AA meetings a week,and that helps me deal with the day to day B.S.Dealing with the day to day stuff is key for me.

But as said before in this thread, IT GETS BETTER!!! I promise.It just takes some longer than others to work through it.AA saved my life.And talking to a professional is a great "tool" and I recommend looking in to it. I have learned to that what works for me,might not work for others. BE PATIENT and you can't be in a hurry,give it time.One needs to distance between booze and ones self.That distance (time) really helps.One day at a time is so true.One minute at a time sometimes.