Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Diet, excercise, lifestyle change suggestions from the elders with wisdom?

Notices

Diet, excercise, lifestyle change suggestions from the elders with wisdom?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Diet, excercise, lifestyle change suggestions from the elders with wisdom?

I did that thing where you go sober so long that you think you can have a few drinks, and then it turns into more...

SOOOO...

I think I could have avoided the first drink if I was already into a new lifestyle of eating better and actually working out. (It's not fun trying to get up and play sports with your old friends when the night before you were partying with a bunch of drunks who were not going to get up and play sports).

Anyhow,

I searched the forums and could not find anything, and the internet is just clogged with BS trying to get you to buy something.

My plan is just to try and eat healthier,
I have been eating lots of nuts and veggies, and lemon juice for the liver.

Did anyone try any "new diets" when they started to change lifestyles?

I would be interested because I will eat anything, and since most people in recovery have obbsessive tendancies and other eccentric traits, I figured I would ask!

To reward myself, and to make drinking around others easy for me, I like to buy some of that organic juice, and mix it with carbonated water for a pleasant treat!!!

I am still in the stage where I cannot believe I am voluntarilly giving up my drinking since I never bottomed out, but in a few years I would have.

So, if anyone has any lifestyle/diet patterns they got into during the earliest days, I would be enthralled to take them to heart. I am only 28 but everyone is young at heart, and wisdom comes from my elders, so wisdom on!

and thanks to everyone on these boards, you are extremely helpful!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not try a five mile run followed by a freezing cold shower before breakfast.

(That's what the rotten gits used to make us do when I joined the army; it certainly wakes you up).

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hey dentist, welcome to SR!

We've got a Fitness, Health, and Nutrition forum right here on SR Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information It's fairly new but our members have already contributed a lot of great info, so please take the time to check it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JJB

Originally Posted by AAdentistAA View Post
I did that thing where you go sober so long that you think you can have a few drinks, and then it turns into more...

SOOOO...

I think I could have avoided the first drink if I was already into a new lifestyle of eating better and actually working out. (It's not fun trying to get up and play sports with your old friends when the night before you were partying with a bunch of drunks who were not going to get up and play sports).

Anyhow,

I searched the forums and could not find anything, and the internet is just clogged with BS trying to get you to buy something.

My plan is just to try and eat healthier,
I have been eating lots of nuts and veggies, and lemon juice for the liver.

Did anyone try any "new diets" when they started to change lifestyles?

I would be interested because I will eat anything, and since most people in recovery have obbsessive tendancies and other eccentric traits, I figured I would ask!

To reward myself, and to make drinking around others easy for me, I like to buy some of that organic juice, and mix it with carbonated water for a pleasant treat!!!

I am still in the stage where I cannot believe I am voluntarilly giving up my drinking since I never bottomed out, but in a few years I would have.

So, if anyone has any lifestyle/diet patterns they got into during the earliest days, I would be enthralled to take them to heart. I am only 28 but everyone is young at heart, and wisdom comes from my elders, so wisdom on!

and thanks to everyone on these boards, you are extremely helpful!
I'm not elder and don't have much wisdom but i know i've been discovering lots of drinks(non alcoholic) to slurp during the day. I like cranberry juice topped up either with slim tonic or canada dry. Smoothies are good too. There's a book "seven weeks to sobriety" which reckons that diet is the root/key to getting out of alcoholism and that certain foods will aggravate the cravings. Like all books i take some bits of it and leave others but it's quite interesting.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, exercise and diet are a couple of my main concerns today.

I knew when I was eating that huge slice of pie two nights ago that I would probably have to work that off, lol. Same for the ice cream I ate last night. My jeans are getting so tight that I just suck in my gut, zip them up, then leave the button undone, gives me a little more breathing room, lol.

Today, I'm not going to drink at my usual local Friday night hangout, so just think of all those empty calories I'm saving. At least the apple pie had fruit in it, lol.

just goes to show, some really are sicker than others, lol.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like Music, Cycling, SR, Solitaire and Reading as part of my recovery. And for me... AA.

I was interested in your statement about the voluntary thing?

WELCOME to SR

Mark
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Not quite sure what you meant by the statement that I boldfaced, but if you meant 'hanging out with people that are drinking', I would strongly suggest you avoid that for an extended period. A lifestyle change.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Diet is a very important part of my recovery and keeping myself feeling good so I am not tempted to revert back to my old lifestyle. If I feel good & feel healthy, this is important because feeling good/healthy is the key to wanting to stay sober, IMO. You truly are what you eat and drink.

With that said, I think you can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you stay within the caloric limits for your height and weight and avoid certain things in your diet such as...

Alcohol (obviously)
Mayonnaise
Fast food joints
Low quality, overly processed breads
Overly processed foods in general
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Butter
White Flour
White sugar (try turbinado sugar instead)
Too much salt
Too much caffeine
Anything deep fried
Soda
Junky candy.
Unlean Red Meats (burgers are out, Filet Mignon is still in occasionally)
Whole milk and cream

Things that are now staples in my diet include...

Avocados
Olive oils
Green foods and juices
Lots of cold clean water
Fruits, vegetables, and salads
Chicken and salmon
Raisins
Hummus
Green tea
No fat organic milk
Organic Granola cereals

Exercise 30 minutes a day just a few days a week.

A good multi-vitamin daily.

Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng daily. And whatever other herbal supplements float your boat.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Beware of the sugar content in most 'juices' and beverages.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

I think I could have avoided the first drink if I was already into a new lifestyle of eating better and actually working out.
You are an alcoholic. You have a spiritual, mental, and physical disease. No amount of diet and exercise without any rigorous honesty in a Twelve Step and Twelve Tradition program will do you any lasting good. The process of recovery from this condition involves going to meetings, getting & using a sponsor, and finding & being of service at a Homegroup. You can work through the Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions and find a new way to live...if you really want to. Many of us are living the kind of life we want to without the use of drugs or alcohol. That way of life is available to you and many of us will help you any way we can to stay clean & sober one day at a time.