Notices

What's the point they still see you the same way

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Usually having arguments with my mum would of made me go and have some drinks and she was probably trying to push my buttons to see how determine I am and stuff like that. I know it's only been 3 weeks, but still I thought I would have a bit of support from her.I guess that is going to take some time.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Much as other people notice our drinking problem long before we do, other people notice our recovery and the benefits long before we do.
Don't force the issue. Just recover. They'll figure it out in time but in all honesty 3 weeks is a little soon.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Maz, You really can't blame her for still seeing you as a drunk. It comes with the territory. My family didn't believe in me or trust me for a couple of years after I got sober. But then again, they lived with a drunk for a long time who broke every promise I ever made. So bear with her. You'll find that over time actions speak louder than words.

Also, the whole dynamics of a recovering alcoholic and the effect on family members is really complex. Thery're having as tough a time with your recovery as you are. Perhaps you could suggest your Mum that she try an Alanon meeting.

But great job on the 3 weeks!! Let us know how you're doing. We're here to help one another and you're officially a member of the club.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

mums are just great aint they...lol

she still nags my dad for having a beer when i visit..

kind of funny until i said to myself...look how much emotional damage you did.

nearly nine years on and shes still scared im gonna blow it.

She struggles to forget.......not forgive..just forget.

She still says prayers of thanks every day for saving her son.

i love my mother dearly.......and it still hurts to know that i tortured her mind.

god forgive me............

i only have to think of the pain i put her through and i go to pieces.

thanks for reminding me........I NEED TO REMEMBER.............trucker
Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thinking about it now that my mind is clearer, I'm actually glad that she did that because now I know that when arguements happen or something doesn't go right or if I get under stress I am not going to turn to the bottle or go up to the shops and buy a 6 pack of beer and sit and drown my sorrows like I would of done before. I'm learning to control that.

And yes 3 weeks is only the beginning I still have a while to go, actually it's been 3 and a half weeks, just thought I will mention the half bit. I still haven't been to a group but am searching for one. I know it's going to take a while for my family to see changes in me and it must be hard for them to put up with my mood changes lately.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maz,

Yes, the half is important!

Good for you in getting through that difficult time and staying sober. Recovery is really about learning to live your life a new way. And, your family will see the positive changes in your.