Notices

A Newbie

Old 05-04-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Newbie

Just wanted to say hi. I've recently hit my one year birthday. Just looking for new and interesting ways to keep working my program....
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congratulations on your 1 year. That's quite an accomplishment.

Do you go to AA? The Steps are a perfect way to work one's program.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome, and congratulations on your sober time!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi and welcome......im glad your with us................trucker
Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Congrats on a year!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, if you're one year old, how'd you learn to type so young? lol, just kidding.

Welcome to SR. You will find tons of support and freindship here.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

and

Congratulations!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and Congratulations!

I hope you continue to post.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Congratulations on your One Year . . . I look forward to you sharing how you've made it this far. You've found a wonderful place that has helped me tremendously on my Journey in my new life.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome congrats on 1 yr.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your progress.......

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all. I do have a question... In rehab we are told not to get into a relationship for 2 years. But what do you do when you are still in one when you get out of rehab? It's with a non-addict who has refused to learn anything about our disease. I don't know what to do...
Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cams and welcome to the asylum. Congratulations on reaching the one year mark. I'm know it wasn't easy. As to your relationship, I'm not a marraige counselor but God knows that I've seen a lot of them. I'd suggest that if her attitude about the disease is a threat to your sobriety, then end the relationship. Maintaining sobriety is the most important thing in your life and must take precidence over all else. And although you got a year behind you, your sobriety is still very, very fragile. Don't let anything threaten it.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome camsmama :ghug2 Great job on one year :day6

In regards to your relationship it might be a good time to see a counselor that knows about alcoholism & see if she is up to going. If not it might be time for a change. You have to put you first right now. Take care & good luck :ghug2
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think she threatens my sobriety, she just doesn't understand what addiction is all about. I've suggested Al-Anon and open NA meetings. She went to one meeting and came to rehab once to attend family therapy, but that was a disaster. I've been on Subutex and of course she doesn't understand that at all. I explained that a diabetic has to take insulin to control their disease. That's what Subutex does for me. I don't know. I'm really torn..
Old 05-14-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We have been to therapy and sometimes it seems to help her, sometimes not.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Although it's been a little over a year (sobriety), I haven't had to face many tough situations. That is until Sunday. A dear, dear close friend died. I'm really having trouble coping with this.. I've tried talking, staying busy, writing.... Any suggestions
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

But what do you do when you are still in one when you get out of rehab?
cams in reality the suggestion at least in AA is no NEW relationships in the first year and if one really wants to get down to the nitty gritty of the suggestion in AA the real suggestion is no MAJOR life changes in the first year.

The one year mark varies from person to person, some folks have some good solid sobriety at 6 or 7 months, I heard a guy share that he was not ready for any major changes until he had almost 2 years sober.

BTW congrats on one year, that is a big mile stone.

My condolances on your friend, deaths and divorces are very trying times for an alcoholic in recovery, but many alcoholics do not drink over it because they know that a drink never solved a single problem for them, drinking may make a problem go away for a while, but the problem is still there and many times once we sober up the problem we tried to drink away has gotten larger.

Ask your self these questions and answer it honestly. "If I drank due to my friends death would they come back to life? Would it make the sorrow lessen long term?"

Our disease is always there, trying to give us a good enough reason to drink again when in reality for an alcoholic there is no reason good enough to drink over.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
cams in reality the suggestion at least in AA is no NEW relationships in the first year and if one really wants to get down to the nitty gritty of the suggestion in AA the real suggestion is no MAJOR life changes in the first year.
Actually, Taz, AA itself or the Big Book makes no opinion at all about this. I understand that you are simplifying, and I agree that it's pretty good advice not to shake things up if you don't have to. But let me throw out another reason beyond protecting fragile early sobriety.

What a world of difference in my relationships with others after taking all of AA's 12 steps and having a spiritual awakening. AA taught me how to actually love another person. Unconditionally. And I simply had no idea (although I thought I knew) what that was until I experienced it.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. You know I was told in rehab that my family was grieving the loss of a part of me. And I saw it.. But I just keep jumping from one emotion to another. I have no thoughts of relapsing, if anything her death had brought my sobriety into perspective. I love her and will miss her dearly.