Notices

aa meeting

Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aa meeting

Hi guys, I just started going to AA 2 weeks ago today after years of trying to do it myself (which I couldnt do). Its Sunday night, I feel great after the meeting and Im still sober !!!
Lifes good !!!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Marty,
I avoided AA for years but when I did finally decided to give it a try it worked for me. In terms of a support group there is none even close to being as large and that makes it a lot easier to hook up with people focused on sobriety as a way of life.
Good Luck!!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome Marty, It's a good feeling isn't it?

Mark
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love the fact that everyone there is the same boat, we have all been there and nothing anyone says seems to surprise. I am reallly getting some great inspiration. I realised I had hit my bottom and AA is thing only thing for me that is helping me climb my way back up
Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if you keep an open mind.. A.A. can totally change your life..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great Marty,good for you! I've been talking about going to AA for years, i reckon this year will be the one where i drag my sorry butt down:-)

I have met quite a few people who have long term sobriety through AA and happy lives!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

marty,nice to meet you and welcome to the fellowship! as far as support,inspiration,identification,love and everything else that goes with being in AA goes there is nothing like it for an alcoholic that has thrown in the towel and has finally admitted powerlessness.its a big weight off eh? i wish you well marty and you are now another person in my prayers! my higher power is kept very busy! keep us posted.Charmian.:ghug3
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Charmian, I resisted going for years, always with that mucho australian bullsh*t of being able to do it myself. I was also so miserable when i didnt drink. Its fantastic to see all these people enjoying life without the drink. I appreciate your prayers and I will keep you in mine as well
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I've got a big smile on my face right now, knowing exactly how you feel. I had tried to get clean and sober my way for many years. Things only got worse for me by trying to work my kind of Program. You know, the one that included denial, minimizing, blaming, shame, guilt . . . then and only then did I surrender. What a relief when I finally admitted that I needed help and couldn't do this alone. For me, the Programs of AA and NA are a key ingredient in my going on 4 years Happy, Joyous & Free.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The clincher for me was when my controlled drinking experiment (after 42 days white knuckling it sober on my own)turned into a 7 day binge. I finally admitted I was powerless, best decision I have made.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello marty! was just wondering how you are getting on? hope your still going at it with as much enthusiasm! let us know.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome aboard Marty, kind of neat feeliing like a winner once we surrender!LOL

It makes very little sense that we win by surrender.

An even odder one that took me a while to grasp was "You have to give it away to keep it!" Makes sense now, but was mystifying at first, how in the heck can one keep what they give away for free?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Charmian, thanks for asking yes I am going well and feeling good. I having a few tough moments but getting over them quickly. I am starting to realise that just because I have a challenge or a problem a drink wont make it better, learning to handle life without the drink I suppose.
I am getting to 3-4 meetings a week and loving it. Its so good to listen to people who understand what we as alcoholics go through. It now makes so much sense to me that only another alcoholic can comprehend the lengths we go to get a drink.
I am learning to take it a day at a time and for the first time I can remember I am living in the moment. I am living by the creed that if I dont have a drink I cant get drunk.
I heard a guy share last night and he said ÄA is a simple program for complicated people". I found that so relevant.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful!

I'm so glad things are working for you.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh im delighted for you marty! isnt it great the feeling of freedom we get when we finally surrender! i had tough week last week,close unlce died and i had to go to my home town for his funeral.my mum has drink issues also and i just didnt know how things were going to go,,but do you know what,they couldnt have gone any better! my God was certainly looking after me.what a spiritual experience i had.bieng useful for a start off,but all the other little things too.my sister said the change in me is phenominal! WOW,,big word.me and her spoke at the funeral and later that night when i was back at the hotel i said to my other half this is as sane as im ever going to be and as sober (i just did step 2 the week before and actually just finished it with my sponsor the exact moment my uncle died!!!!) so there you go,and just think of what else is in store.its great to be on the path to being the person i should have always been.PS,,,it was also my 90 days the day of the funeral,,,,coincidences?? i dont think so.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
I heard a guy share last night and he said ÄA is a simple program for complicated people".
Ha ha ha so true! I have to say I don't love AA and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to be there, but I do so I go, do the programme and make the best of it. A lot of people seem to love it and love the meetings etc but I don't. For me, it's like going to school - I have to do the work to get the rewards, even if I don't enjoy it. I enjoy the results which is a useful, sober life. I enjoyed getting drunk and look where that got me.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super progress.........
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Charmian, sorry about your loss, sounds like a tough but in another way a good week for you. God must have really been looking after you. Glad you got to spend time with your sis, its great your family is seeing the positive changes in you.
Tiger I enjoy the meetings, they dont remind me of school probably since it was that long ago I dont remember what it was like !!!!
Yeah the results are the main thing, like you i enjoyed getting drunk, but at the end was so sick of what it was doing to me
Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

what do your tattoos say by the way????? i have all my back tattooed,but not colored in yet,work in progress!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Charmain, the one on my back is in latin, its says pater noster, which translate to our father. I have more work to be done as well !!