Notices

Barbecue Sauce with Jack Daniels

Old 05-02-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't share it, but I respect those whose view is they're allergic to alcohol, in whatever form, or those simply do not wish to ingest it, regardless of the quantity.

We're all on the same road

D
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I believe you are good...but if it bugs you,you may want to use another kind of bbq sauce next time.
I have tried it before also,I just wasn`t too crazy about it...sweet baby rays replaced it for me
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I avoid any food or drink involving Jack Daniel's.

As it pertains to me, there is no room for discussion.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Yeah, I actually agree, Dee. I was hesitant to throw it out there, thought it might seem kind of silly, but was interested in the responses. I know in my heart I did not break my sobriety. I knew a guy once who refused to use alcohol based mouthwash, so the thought about the barbecue sauce crossed my mind.

considering how much alcohol is in some mouthwashes, and that some are bad enough alcoholics that they will turn to mouthwash if they run out, that's not a bad idea to avoid products that contain high amounts of alcohol. JMHO
Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can't and will not give up my mouthwash! I was on antabuse for 4 months and it did not make me sick so i think that is ok i guess?! Jeez i can't imagine just brushing without the 1 minute of swishing and gargling! FFS there is a big difference between that and pouring booze into a meal you are cooking, this is a bit of a crazy thread IMO

Mind you much less crazy than my drunk thread 4 nights ago so hey;-)
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My take on this...

For me, foods cooked with alcohol could conceivably cause a trigger or craving for alcohol and mess with my head... perhaps setting up relapse. However, for me, accidently or even knowingly consuming a food that may have had alcohol used in it's preparation... is not a loss of sobriety... I mean, really, how many pieces of chicken would you have to eat to even feel it?

But that's me, I understand and respect the point of view that alcohol is alcohol and that an individual might choose to take an absolute zero tolerance approach...

That said,.. My wife will not be making me my favorite Kaluha cake anymore, and a rum cake a client gave me went untouched. Also, I felt kind of weird when I accidently used some listerine that I thought was alcohol free. And, I stopped using the hand sanitizer with alcohol and I don't use 'lectric shave anymore. Partly because the alcohol essence was so strong and partly because I am in a monitoring program and occasionally they will use the super sensitive EtG test that can detect trace amounts...

So, for me. it wouldn't be a loss of sobriety, but eating it could set up a chain of events that could... Sorry this was so long... Enjoy your popcorn laurie!!!

Mark
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
6/20/08

If you take the lid off the bbq sauce and start chugging it, there may be a problem. I'm just kidding.

I think it really is a personal choice thing. Like others have said, if you're eating it to catch a buzz, you probably shouldn't.

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Was it a store bought BBQ sauce or made from scratch?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I think if there is any danger of having any effects of alcohol come through in any kind of sauce, wouldn't you think that it couldn't be sold to someone under age?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hang on either i am going mad or the original post was not just making out to be it was a bbq sauce from a supermarket, but one homemade using JD out of the bottle, as in the original JD bottle not a frigging HP sauce one?!

The original post has the JD bottle nearby with people taking a swig of it.

If we are debating whether to use a supermarket JD flavoured sauce for mass consumption, of course i am not saying to avoid that! Holy moly!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Sorry, hadn't read the whole thread. My bad. Kill me please.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I don't know much about foods with alcohol but I do use vanilla and other extracts when baking. Granted, I don't eat what I bake because I control my carb intake.

Once, a few months into sobriety I poured the vanilla from the teaspoon into the batter and then LICKED THE SPOON (Habit! You see, vanilla is booze and you don't just put a boozy spoon in the dishwasher without licking it first!!!)

Well, you would have thought I ingested RAT POISON! I ran to the bathroom and spit it out, rinsed out my mouth with water, scraped my tongue. I just do not want any alcohol in any form passing my lips.

I have never done that again.

If eating the bbq sauce has caused you concern, chalk it up and move on if possible. That is what I did~ Although I remember what I did almost everytime I bake, which is often.

The best to you!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Was it a store bought BBQ sauce or made from scratch?
It was made from scratch. It was a small work function with a couple of our clients (from a work training program as chefs) preparing the meal. It never occurred to me not to eat it. I just didn't think of it at all. I don't think anyway. What I've gotten out of this thread is if it's a trigger stay away. I can have a tendency to focus on something like this and not let it go. I actually think next time I might avoid it. Not because I truly think I'll lose my sobriety, but because my mind can work against me with this kind of thing. I'll kind of beat myself up or roll it around in my mind until I'm driving myself crazy.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My position on this is I do not feel I've forfeited my sobriety because my intention was pure. BUT I do see what my mind can do with this kind of thing and would probably avoid that part of the meal in the future. And besides, who needs a DUC (Driving Under the influence of Chicken)?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by antone View Post
my position on this is i do not feel i've forfeited my sobriety because my intention was pure. But i do see what my mind can do with this kind of thing and would probably avoid that part of the meal in the future. And besides, who needs a duc (driving under the influence of chicken)?

lol!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
And besides, who needs a DUC (Driving Under the influence of Chicken)?
That was just too funny!!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

duc...lmao...
you would have to chug 5 gallons of JD BBQ sauce to even come close to catching a buzz probably...OD on BBQ sauce...before you get high
I tried my wife`s Listerine once and it nearly knocked my head off...so I use alcohol free stuff now...
Old 05-02-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Carol's post. You were perfectly safe in eating Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. Your sobriety is intact, so stop worrying. At the same time, be careful of what you eat while dining out. Certain soups (Bisques for example) are loaded with alcohol, as are a lot of sauces and desserts. The commercial stuff like Jack Daniels
BBQ sauce is perfectly safe, but i can't say the same for stuff prepared in a restaurant kitchen. I was a chef for 20 years and concocted some pretty potent stuff.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree with Carol's post. You were perfectly safe in eating Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. Your sobriety is intact, so stop worrying. At the same time, be careful of what you eat while dining out. Certain soups (Bisques for example) are loaded with alcohol, as are a lot of sauces and desserts. The commercial stuff like Jack Daniels
BBQ sauce is perfectly safe, but i can't say the same for stuff prepared in a restaurant kitchen. I was a chef for 20 years and concocted some pretty potent stuff.
The stuff I ate was homemade, not store-bought.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

joe, with all due respect.. some people that are living alcohol free, are living completely alcohol free, so it DOES matter to them if there is alcohol as an ingredient in anything, be it bbq sauce prepared with a bottle of Jack Daniels like the poster said, or aftershave or mouthwash.

I don't follow that in MY life, but I absolutely respect anyone who does, and I think it's important to consider the issue.