Notices

I feel like I keep venting...I'm sorry :(

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, sweets79. Reading your post reminds me of the way my mind worked when I first got sober. Really, it gets better as long as you don't pick up a drink or a drug. Things will unsnarl a little at a time, a day at a time. In times of chaos, I would pray repetitively or read in the Big Book, especially pages 61 and 62, or pages 86 and 87, and try to focus on one thing, a constructive or positive action like cleaning the kitchen or folding my clothes.
I am not a perfect picture of sobriety but holy cow it is so much better than the way it was, thank you.
Venting is a great thing to do because it helps to raise our awareness.
That being said, what we think or feel is not necessarily reality and we don't have to act on it. We can step back and let the chaos go by if we want to.
Thank you for your post, hope you are having a good day.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you need to vent, you should vent, vent, vent!!!! Vent away!!!!

With it being my B-day today, I totally feel ya. Would love to get blasted, but that's NOT going to happen. I am enjoying playing my World of Warcraft though. Entertaining and helps me take the focus off the "bad stuff".

Keep coming here.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by sighlead View Post
Hi, sweets79. Reading your post reminds me of the way my mind worked when I first got sober. Really, it gets better as long as you don't pick up a drink or a drug. Things will unsnarl a little at a time, a day at a time. In times of chaos, I would pray repetitively or read in the Big Book, especially pages 61 and 62, or pages 86 and 87, and try to focus on one thing, a constructive or positive action like cleaning the kitchen or folding my clothes.
I am not a perfect picture of sobriety but holy cow it is so much better than the way it was, thank you.
Venting is a great thing to do because it helps to raise our awareness.
That being said, what we think or feel is not necessarily reality and we don't have to act on it. We can step back and let the chaos go by if we want to.
Thank you for your post, hope you are having a good day.
Awwwwwwww thankya! It's a week sans alcohol for me today, and I'm actually having my first decent mood, feeling some hope...It feels kind of odd..I'm so used to having quite a few drinks in me by this time in the evening...I actually have music on and I am enjoying it......Usually I wouldn't even want to listen to music if I wasn't having a drink, that sounds so sad, but it's true...I have done a month before and went back, so I am not getting too excited about it...but I am taking it hour by hour and so far so good...I didn't think posting and reading a website could help so greatly, but it really has done wonders for me this past week.:ghug2
Old 05-02-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Awwwwwwww thankya! It's a week sans alcohol for me today, and I'm actually having my first decent mood, feeling some hope...It feels kind of odd..I'm so used to having quite a few drinks in me by this time in the evening...I actually have music on and I am enjoying it......Usually I wouldn't even want to listen to music if I wasn't having a drink, that sounds so sad, but it's true...I have done a month before and went back, so I am not getting too excited about it...but I am taking it hour by hour and so far so good...I didn't think posting and reading a website could help so greatly, but it really has done wonders for me this past week.:ghug2

Things I used to think I wouldn't like doing without having "a drink":

Gardening
Baking
Cleaning House
Listening to Tunes
Playing guitar
Playing with my kids

That's just the start. Fact is, I enjoy doing those thing EVEN MORE! Plus, I remember doing them which is a nice bonus.

I know what you mean about this site. It is a GODSEND!

Keep posting!

Liberty~

PS- You're doing great! Keep it up! Focus on that hangoverfree Sunday morning that 's coming your way! A real blessing!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by LibertyorDeath View Post
Things I used to think I wouldn't like doing without having "a drink":

Gardening
Baking
Cleaning House
Listening to Tunes
Playing guitar
Playing with my kids

That's just the start. Fact is, I enjoy doing those thing EVEN MORE! Plus, I remember doing them which is a nice bonus.

I know what you mean about this site. It is a GODSEND!

Keep posting!

Liberty~

PS- You're doing great! Keep it up! Focus on that hangoverfree Sunday morning that 's coming your way! A real blessing!
Thank you for the motivational advice, it's greatly appreciated...I am trying to get interested in some things, and think of different things to do...I know it's not going to put me in a great mood, but it's a start...I'm trying to see things in a different light, but I know it takes time...I'm not the most patient person in the world either, which makes it even harder, but trying is all I can do....and gaining support from people like you and others on this message board is a blessing