Notices

desperately need advice please

Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

desperately need advice please

Hi ...I have almost nine months sobriety. I have worked really hard to not drink these last months and have been so proud of myself and have felt sooo great Now...last night I came home from work ..my boyfriend had made pot brownies..he had done this before and I had tried them only to find that I really didnt feel anything..I used to smoke pot on occasion but found it made me feel to paranoid and anxious so I stopped and havent done so in over a year. I am not quite sure why I ate the brownie last night..but I was hungry and assumed it would probably just make me sleepy if anything..well I had by far instead the complete opposite reaction...I was in hell having the worst panic attack of my life...well to get to the point...does this affect my sobriety date with my alchoholism? I attend AA meetings everywork and have been doing step work...I am an alchoholic and have not drank...but since eating the brownie I had an altered state of mind..It was horrible and willl never do it again..I still plan on staying strong with my sobriety but I am feeling such confusion on the issue of how it plays into it?? Please help me
Old 05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll probably get lots of different answers...

What do you think?? You should be honest with yourself, of course... Were the reasons you ate that brownie consistent with sobriety, yours?

It is between your higher power and you.

IMHO

Mark
Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Something you have to decide for yourself. As a recovering alcoholic with many years of drug use, I believe sobriety for me means abstinence from all mind altering substances. Came to that conclusion my first go round in AA.

Good news, whatever you decide, it isn't like you actually lost all that time before this. Use it, rebuild on it. Learn whatever lesson you need to learn and let it go.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think that is very personal thing. I *personally* would have a new sobriety date if I decided to drink, or do (eat?) any drugs that altered me. My life is clean and sober and free of any drugs or alcohol.. so I would *personally* start over.

Some people have 2 sobriety dates.. (who knows, where does that end? 3 or 4?)..

I think you know how you feel about it, and just do what's right by you. I only speak from what I would feel if I did the same thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Well, something to consider....caffeine is a drug too. Granted it's legal but pot is legal in some places for some reasons....

I am not changing my sobriety date because I drank too much coffee today. I am not being flip. I have just started REALLY cutting back. Caffeine is a drug. It alters me.

It's up to you but I wanted to share this with you.

All the best!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, it's up to you.

Congratulations on your nine months sober!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

More importantly - resolve to not do it again.

Clean/sober time is important, but you might need to be introspective to see if there is an underlying problem where you might want to use?

It's kind of dangerous behavior for a person in recovery right?

Be good, keep coming back.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me personally I would re-set my date because my date was set with drugs AND alcohol in mind. But then I also wouldn't just lightly have a pot brownie because I was hungry.

Like others have said its up to you. I would take a good look at that moment when you chose to eat the brownie and honestly check what motivations were there.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I would change my current date had I eaten food laced with pot.
but...
the only sober time I am responsible for is my own....
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's ultimately up to you? But like others have said-check out your motivation to eat the cookie.Was it to 'not feel' anymore? It's not that different to drinking to numb ourselves really in my mind.

I know for me I put drugs and alcohol in the same boat.Clean and sober go together so I know I'd change my sober date if I'd done that.But again-it really is up to you.

Congrats on your alcohol-free time though-that's really great!

Jules
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's not like pot was a problem for you, you hadn't gone into recovery because of pot use, you know? Drinking was your problem and you didn't drink, your sobriety date applies to alcohol not pot.

On the other hand is the clean AND sober thing, which does make sense, no point quitting alcohol and taking up crack and calling yourself in recovery, to use an extreme example.

Would you find going back to day 1 demoralising? If so it seems a shame to feel that way when you didn't drink.

PS
I have had a bad experience eating pot myself, I bet you wont be doing that again!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

Thanks to everyone...I really APPRECIATE all of your words of wisdom. All day long I have been in deep contemplation over this...when I stopped drinking nine months ago it was because my life had become unmanageable with alchohol...I cant honestly remember the last time I had any form of marijuanna in my system before last night...I hate pot and the way it makes me feel..for me to eat that brownie last night was foolish but my intentions were not to get stoned ...like i said, belive it or not, but the last time i tried a pot brownie I didnt feel a thing...something I left out from before but may be pertinent to my situation after thinking and obsessing over it today is this : Not only had I been feeling sick for a few days , and on top of that I had just started a cleanse and all I had ingested yesterday was a liquid mixture of water , lemon juice , maple syrup and cayane pepper...gross..so yes I was starving when I got home and decided to eat that chocolate treat that I assumed would probably just do nothing like before...thats the honest to God truth my friends...and the truth is that as miserable as I was last night...it only magnified how much I love feeling sober and clear and present..this is a mistake I made and will never EVER repeat... thank you again all for responding..I appreciate it alot xoxo Kristen
Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did you have to eat a bag of doritos, a couple snickers bars, red licorice, and drink a two liter of coke? That's what I did when I smoked pot as a teen, I always munched like a fiend, so I had to stop the stuff or blow up to five hundred lbs, lol.

The date isn't all that important, it's more important to just jump back on track and keep on trucking.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Courage to Change...

I can only speak for myself. I am an alcoholic/addict.

I have a disease that is "cunning, baffling, and powerful."
My disease tries to get me to make 'bad choices.' Knowing there was pot in the brownies, I personally would not have tasted them. I'd have hunted around the kitchen to find something else to eat, or asked the BF to get rid of them while I went to McDonald's or something like that.

One drug leads to another & this scenario sounds scary as heck to me.

Your sobriety date truly is between you & your Higher Power. Like so many others already said - "Check your motives." But I'd check my disease's motives, too.

As an aside - I'd be a bit wary of my boyfriend if he insisted on making pot brownies knowing I was in recovery.

Just My (not-so) Humble OPinion.
God Bless

Last edited by LeisaK; 05-02-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: misspelled words