Notices

thought for the day

Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thought for the day

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Some days I feel like a tightrope walker.
- Jeannette N.

We all perform a balancing act, trying to keep perspective on what's important and what is not. Sometimes we fall: crazy drivers cut into our lane; the supermarket line takes forever; the baby's crying. At those times a minor insult at work or a cross word from a friend is just too much, and we lose our cool - and our balance.

During our years of active addiction we were impulsive, living in an all-or-nothing, black-and-white world, completely out of balance. Minor slights became major issues. We were subject to any whim our distorted thoughts cooked up.

We've had lots of practice being out of balance, so we have to work harder to regain it, but now we have the tools to change. Our program gives us a new focus, reminds us of what's important in our lives. We're reminded, too, of our powerlessness over people, places, and things. These ideas are new to us at first. We thought we had to control everything and everyone around us, and so we failed. But now we're learning how to keep our balance, and recover it when we've lost it. With practice, we'll get better every day. Now, we're learning how to let go and let God.

Today help me remember what's important. Help me keep my balance.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JJB

[QUOTE=ksplash5;2213365][B][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=2]
[ At those times a minor insult at work or a cross word from a friend is just too much, and we lose our cool - and our balance.

Minor slights became major issues. We were subject to any whim our distorted thoughts cooked up.

I can certainly relate to that. I'd like to ask other members how they coped with the first days and weeks of sobriety while working at the same time; I'm so worried about overreacting to a comment or a situation at work because of going through withdrawal.i'm sure i've done it in the past when trying to give up and have often gone back to the drink for this very reason
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i repeated the serenity prayer one day for at least a hundred times....they had told me to make all these copies....but i was not a copy boy i felt....i gritted my teeth and with anger for 2 hours made those copies and said the serenity prayer over and over...and went to a meeting immediately after work
Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

JJB One of the most beneficial things I have learned to help me in my day to day life I picked up out of the BB & the rooms. When ever I get angry, frustrated, confused, etc., just STOP!!!!!!

When I feel strong emotions or confusion coming on I have found that if I can just STOP!!! Do absolutley NOTHING immediately, in other words I do not react, I calm myself by finding a quiet spot even if it is just in my head..... slowly think about what is going on and ask myself a question like "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" If the answer is yes, then I need to calmly decide what is the right action to take, this decision may involve some silent prayer/meditation or now that I am calm the right answer may be quite appearant, if not I will seek the advice of someone who may have a good answer.

Okay now here is where it gets a bit tough, if the answer to the question "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" is no, then I simply accept it for what it is, something I can not change or control I just turn it over to my HP or what ever powers may be that does have control.

It takes time and practice to STOP, but I can tell you that I make far fewer mistakes and amends then I did when I was drinking and hold no resentments nor do I have any guilt or shame over my actions. Life is good when I apply the above.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by ksplash5 View Post
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Some days I feel like a tightrope walker.
- Jeannette N.

We all perform a balancing act, trying to keep perspective on what's important and what is not. Sometimes we fall: crazy drivers cut into our lane; the supermarket line takes forever; the baby's crying. At those times a minor insult at work or a cross word from a friend is just too much, and we lose our cool - and our balance.During our years of active addiction we were impulsive, living in an all-or-nothing, black-and-white world, completely out of balance. Minor slights became major issues. We were subject to any whim our distorted thoughts cooked up.
We've had lots of practice being out of balance, so we have to work harder to regain it, but now we have the tools to change. Our program gives us a new focus, reminds us of what's important in our lives. We're reminded, too, of our powerlessness over people, places, and things. These ideas are new to us at first. We thought we had to control everything and everyone around us, and so we failed. But now we're learning how to keep our balance, and recover it when we've lost it. With practice, we'll get better every day. Now, we're learning how to let go and let God.
Today help me remember what's important. Help me keep my balance.

That's really beautiful and VERY true...I can especially relate to the part of having a hard dime dealing with not having power over certain things, and living in an "all or nothing" mindset.........Thanks for posting.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the most beneficial things I have learned to help me in my day to day life I picked up out of the BB & the rooms. When ever I get angry, frustrated, confused, etc., just STOP!!!!!!

When I feel strong emotions or confusion coming on I have found that if I can just STOP!!! Do absolutley NOTHING immediately, in other words I do not react, I calm myself by finding a quiet spot even if it is just in my head..... slowly think about what is going on and ask myself a question like "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" If the answer is yes, then I need to calmly decide what is the right action to take, this decision may involve some silent prayer/meditation or now that I am calm the right answer may be quite appearant, if not I will seek the advice of someone who may have a good answer.

Okay now here is where it gets a bit tough, if the answer to the question "Is there anything involved with this that I have control over?" is no, then I simply accept it for what it is, something I can not change or control I just turn it over to my HP or what ever powers may be that does have control.

It takes time and practice to STOP, but I can tell you that I make far fewer mistakes and amends then I did when I was drinking and hold no resentments nor do I have any guilt or shame over my actions. Life is good when I apply the above.
totally awesome...I have much more practice to do in this area. sometimes...like yesterday....it seems as if i just can't stop....but i know that it is possible.....it is always possible....practice makes better, so i will practice practice practice....more and more
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JJB

[QUOTE=Tazman53;2213491]JDo absolutley NOTHING immediately, in other words I do not react, I calm myself by finding a quiet spot even if it is just in my head.....
Thanks for all these posts and in particular Tazman who has now given me several pieces of invaluable and sensible advice in various posts. You're a star Thanks