Notices

Swine Flu

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Personally I am SICK SICK SICK of the media blowing **** up and out of proportion. Is there a chance of a pandemic? Sure. Just like with the Bird Flu. And there is a CHANCE OF ANYTHING, good or bad.
I am tired of living in this fear generation!! We NEED to MAN/WOMAN up and get over being afraid of our own shadows....
Man.. I can't say anymore or I'll get in trouble!
And I am not directing this at anyone personally.. So please don't take it that way. Thanks..
Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoDieNOmore View Post

Back to the flu stuff....... I'm much more worried about the economy...
ME TOO. I'd rather we focus on how MOST of our jobs have gone overseas.. And now they aren't doing so great there either..
I remember, when I first started working for GM, I was worried a robot would replace me and my job.. Never thought a HUMAN, in another country, would get it.. DOH!
I retired/buyout years ago, and I didn't expect a job of the same or near the same caliber by any means, but 8 bucks an hour as a cleaning lady.. It's not a bad job. I'd like more hours. It's easy, but I'd really like something that's around 12 bucks an hour, 30-40 hours a week. I am ready to make some money now. I am putting my using days behind me and that voice in my head is becoming a whisper.
As for that swine flu. Let's slaughter all the pigs and forget about it (yeah, I know, it doesn't involve pigs, I am being factitious).
I just get tired of hearing the Media saying crap about it, then saying don't panic, then reporting near panic stories on it.. I know it's all about the money, and other people know it too, but there are the masses that believe anything they see on TV and they DO panic and I have to put up with it. Ugh!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

See.. this is how media creates bullsh* panic about a strain of flu less severe than flus we already deal with. Egypt is now killing all of their pigs. Disgusting examples of human beings. It's NOT being spread that way. Makes me totally sick to my stomach that such idiots even exist. Blah.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's right to be worried and be sensible. Currently the World Health Organisations have rated its threat to level 5 out of 6, and they don't tell porkies. We have been eating pigs for thousands of years because, frankly, they taste good - so its no wonder they have thrown a virus at us. We now need to deal with the issue, firstly by taking cautions to prevent the spread of the virus, secondly to start treating pigs with respect and maybe not eat so many of them. I'm no expert so don't want to hog this thread with my viewpoint - but I'm sure you all see where I'm coming from.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thousands of people have died from regular plain flu this year, just like every other year. But it doesn't sell advertising to say that now does it? Mass media psychology - funny stuff.

Then you have Muslim groups being offended by the name Swine. I don't get that at all. Now, before anyone thinks I'm insulting a religion, I'm not. I think people have the right to believe what they believe. I'm just saying.... and maybe it's just me, but if my belief system said that pigs are filthy disgusting unholy creatures then right about now, only would I be happy with the name, I'd be saying let's call it the "see I told you pigs are evil flu"

Then you have people who are worried that they can get the flu from bacon or something! I saw a post on another completely unrelated forum that has nothing to do with sobriety that went something like this:

"Personally, I'm trying to help spread these kind of ideas. If misinformation leads to half-price baby-back ribs, then I'm all for it. I ate ludicrous amounts of steak during the whole mad-cow thing.

Boycott pork!!! Eating and handling pork spreads swine flu!!! My neighbor's cat's kittens' father's owner's niece DIED after eating a breakfast sausage patty at the local breakfast place!!! Her whole family and their neighbors had to be HOSPITALIZED just to save their lives - Some of whom she'd only talked to over the phone! Everyone panic and STOP BUYING PORK!!!

M-m-m-m-m... BBQ baby-back ribs..."
Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I just passed gas! And the guy next to me passed gas! IT'S A EPIDEMIC!!! ALERT THE MEDIA!! STAY INDOORS!! THERE'S A GAS ATTACK GOING ON IN THE COUNTRY!!!!

See how that works? it's nothing to lose any sleep over
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The saddest part is that someday we're all going to become immune to this type of propoganda. One of these days it's all going to be the real thing and we're all going to keel over dead thanks to the little media that cried wolf too many times. We'll just stick our fingers in our ears and go on with our day.
Besides, it doesn't matter because the world is ending in 2012 anyways.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Besides, it doesn't matter because the world is ending in 2012 anyways.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Alcoholics or not! We are a plague on this planet and, like i said 20 years ago, our extinction would be the best thing for life in general! Seems we are hell bent on taking every other species with us though!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Might as well start drinking again
Old 05-02-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I love every minute if every day and am gratefulf or it. The life I have got after quittting using 4 years ago is a gift and I do the simple things I need to do daily to keep clean and move aside the destruction I caused in 26 years of using and to forigive and learn to love myself. I try to be a useful member of our comunity every day.

So might as well stay clean and know that this moment is gold.

Kevin
PS Faith and Trust that everything is already ok
Old 05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by December15 View Post
It's right to be worried and be sensible. Currently the World Health Organisations have rated its threat to level 5 out of 6, and they don't tell porkies. We have been eating pigs for thousands of years because, frankly, they taste good - so its no wonder they have thrown a virus at us. We now need to deal with the issue, firstly by taking cautions to prevent the spread of the virus, secondly to start treating pigs with respect and maybe not eat so many of them. I'm no expert so don't want to hog this thread with my viewpoint - but I'm sure you all see where I'm coming from.
I sincerely hope you are kidding about treating pigs with respect and not eating so many of them? I mean, how much more respectful can one get when you have to follow the letter of the law when slaughtering the animals we eat? Humane killing? Could not have put two worse words together. You cannot humanely kill anything. You kill anything, it's dead. How humane is that? Anyway, we're omnivorous creatures, by nature. Some may chose to not be, but that is their choice.
And correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this flu didn't have anything to do with pigs???
And there is absolutely NO sense in worrying about it at all. If there was, we might as well worry about dying in a car wreck, getting cancer, dying of old age, getting colds, getting any virus, getting any bacteria, and the sky falling on our heads.
I am not trying to be mean. I really hope you were kidding, but if not, please don't be so worried about something that is, in all likelyhood, not going to affect you. *hugs*
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Faith and Trust that everything is already ok
I recently read a decription of Faith - Knowing that you are not alone & that everything will be okay.

I can't pretend that I have this kind of absolute Faith but I am working towards it through prayer, meditation, and my actions.

I guess I could view every bit of disturbing news as a personal threat. But that would be living in constant fear. What kind of life is that?

Or I could take reasonable precautions and trust that everything will be just fine. I have to keep living my life. Since the story broke, I have been to a funeral, facilitated a training session, attended an AA meeting, been to the gym a couple of times, and it's my son's 8th birthday party tomorrow. People are a big part of my life. I'm not going to hide in my basement.

Swine flu? Personally I think it's media driven, blown way out of proportion. However, it is a tragedy for those who have lost loved ones and I pray for them.

(just a little tip: get the facts from credible, professional sources - for stuff like this, I don't listen to reporters & politicians! )
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by December15 View Post
..... I'm no expert so don't want to hog this thread with my viewpoint ...
Hogging the swine flu thread. Gotta love that.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh well done
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Prior to the November election, a remark was made that Barak Obama would be elected when pigs fly.

It's now 100 days after his election, and guess what?

Are you ready for this?

Swine Flu.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

This is boaring.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well Brisbane in Queensland (Australia) has now got about 20 SUSPECTED cases of this flu, and some government twit has suggested we stock up on necessities to cut down the times we need to shop.

Meanwhile....we have mosquitos causing a nasty Dengue Fever outbreak thru the top half of this big state, nearly 1000 people definitely have it, and little has been heard about that.

Old friend who had Dengue a few years ago reckons it was like going thru withdrawals only 100 times worse. He credits that bout as his biggest strength against relapse to drink, as he only has to hear Dengue and he still vividly recalls every ache and shake. He said the idea of going thru anything like it again, is enough to keep him sober.