Notices

Swine Flu

Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol, I would be more worried abou the sh*t storm at that point!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
lol, I would be more worried abou the sh*t storm at that point!
Nogard... You are too funny!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i think toomutch has a point- all the talk about HIV? whats related to that. I dont get it- trying to bring up an unrelated subject in my opinion. totally different subject- gay sex and the flu??? thats weird dude. I have been in a funk today so sorry for being blunt- but I dont get it.

Love you TM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's alright dub... just expressing our opinions here.

Luv ya too dub
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not about 'gay sex' but about HIV as an epidemic, like the other epidemics of bird flu, etc. THey are related cause they're all epidemics/diseases.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

FIRST, with just 91 outbreaks in this country, I'm thinking MAYBE the media is getting a little carried away. Swine Flu came around when I was in the Army in '76. I remember because they made everyone in the service take shots because of it. People where having adverse reactions to the vaccine- my arm felt like it was going to fall off for about a week. Not putting down Mexico, but it's MEXICO where 85% of the breakouts have occured. I'm NOT CONVINCED yet of the seriousness of this situation.........
Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
i think toomutch has a point- all the talk about HIV? whats related to that. I dont get it- trying to bring up an unrelated subject in my opinion. totally different subject- gay sex and the flu??? thats weird dude. I have been in a funk today so sorry for being blunt- but I dont get it.

Love you TM.
The point I was trying to make is that my HP has the power of when It's time to go... Therefor I'm not really worried about the flu....
And the whole gay thing... I'm a woman.... HIV does effect straight people and the rooms are full of people that engaged in high risk behaviors..

I'm sorry you are in a funk......
Be Well
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I am taking it very seriously. The first cases were in my area. There are 5 now.

Compared to the population..and proximity to the Mexican border..it is spooky,

to say the least. We are being careful. I saw my doctor on national television the

other night. Weird.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
IO Storm

But..I am concerned not so much for me..I don't want to "catch it" and bring it home

to my mother..that's all. I am sure I would be okay with treatment. The trick is to

be treated within 24 hours of sypmtoms. Flu is flu is flu is flu.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I put it in the same lines as Monkey Pox, Bird Flu, Sars, Anthrax, Bubonic Plague, Hoof and Mouth, Mad Cow, and any other media created frenzy that is supposed to be the next pandemic that will kill off mankind.
Fear sells and the media knows this. I'm not the least bit concerned.
Besides, the flu, just the simple flu that goes around every year kills over 30,000 people but you never hear about it. It just doesn't capture the attention of people like the possibility of an upcoming pandemic does.
Silly me; I completley forgot about West Nile. What was I thinking?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

l must give my apologies. that was off base; no excuses, but I am in a funk- and i didnt mean to bring it to to you all. I have no judgements, about anythingl the opposite..the song by AIC no excuses may explain.
sorry about that- going through another sweating phase and shouldnt have posted...... my bad.
love you all
dub
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Oh yeah, we just a case of West Nile here, too..go figure. Sheeesh.

A boy. He's okay.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

No worries dub...
I truly hope you can climb out of your funk.... I also have issues with that..
Be Well......

Back to the flu stuff....... I'm much more worried about the economy...
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Check out this link if you want information on the swine flu:
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Local news here just said they are worried about the swine flu becoming a global pandemic. But I am not fretting over it. I guess it is here in my state, too, but I haven't been keeping up on it because I agree the media blows things all out of proportion. Being a nurse, I have been around many diseases and I'm not dead yet. Go figure...lol
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Our Aussie Government are checking all overseas passengers arriving here for elevated temperatures. Thought went thru my head about years ago when our immigration chaps went thru the planes and sprayed everyone, sort of like they were flies or cockroaches. That was a real nice welcome to receive before even landing.

Was in the town shopping today and heard my name called, so turned round and did a double take. Came face to face with someone wearing a mask which did more than surprise me. Thought for one horrible moment that I was going to be held up for my money. They turned out to be only a friend who is petrified of any bug and this swine flu has really got her going. Tried to convince her that she had more chance of injury from being hit by someone scared witless by her blasted mask, while she tried to get me to wear one. Final score was NIL all.

Now we are told we "should wash our hands after using the toilet, and before preparing or eating food, and not shake hands with strangers". HELLO!!! My Mum trained me to do that 65 years ago as normal hygiene.

What was that old saying? STOP THE WORLD! I WANT TO GET OFF!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

This is a quality thread hehe

To answer the orginal post...i could not care less, i am more worried about what i am going to cook for my dinner:-)

But now you could say what my crazy Mum used to tell me, "You won't be laughing when you get xxxxxxxx" - substitute xxxxxxxx with any illness or ailment lol

Jadmack25 - you got that wrong, next time convince her that swine flu has a half life of 50 years and even when the government has said it's ok, she should still be careful hehehe
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my bro in law got west nile, there were many cases in his/our area. he was sick as a dog in the hospital for about 10 days, right in the thick of outbreak. the docs keep saying, "we're not sure what he has, we'll keep testing". and we were all like "HELLLOOOOOOOO! he has WEST NILE!!!!!!!!!!!!" he finally got well enough to be released. then, about 6 weeks later, he got a letter in the mail from our state gov saying he was confirmed with west nile. along with a pile of paperwork he had to fill out and HAND DELIVER to the county health dept. lol! it was pretty riduculous.

WASH YOUR HANDS, FOLKS! A LOT!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Wow,

I just noticed TooMuch's CDC's link and clicked it and noticed that the cases in Texas have risen from 16 to 26 in one day. But is it statistically significant?

One does wonder if the tremendous increase in media coverage on this particular flu is going to be warranted. I certainly hope not. I overheard a news report where there was talk of infrared cameras and thermal imaging to detect people going though borders that were running a fever. Yipes!

Here is a link to a Google map tracker on incidence of Swine Flu oh yeah lets not pick on pigs H1N1 flu incidents in the USA and Mexico. You can zoom to get the more of the world but I do not think the reporting is complete world wide.

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

Are we glad that they are not tracking drunks!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Dime, i would have done a smiley 'you rock' but can't find it!