Notices

medication for alcohol withdrawl

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

medication for alcohol withdrawl

Hello. I don’t post much on here but I read a lot. I just have a question. I’m wondering if anyone has ever just called their doctor to get some kind of medication to stop alcohol withdrawals? I am trying to stop drinking but have SO much anxiety that it seems impossible. I made an appt with my doc for Thursday but I don’t think I can wait that long. The withdrawals aren’t horrible but the anxiety is so bad and I’m at work. It’s hard to concentrate. I would love it if I could call my doc and tell her what I’m going through and see if she can prescribe me something just to get through the next couple days. Just wondering if anyone has done that. I’m not sure if doctor’s will prescribe something like that just over the phone. I keep wanting to drink right now to stop this horrible anxiety but I don’t want to drink. I just want this anxiety and withdrawal to stop. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

People might not be responding due to the 'medical advice' nature of the post.

But you are not alone, alcohol withdrawls can be pretty serious stuff.

My suggestion is to tell the doctor of your thoughts and how you are feeling.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I needed more help. I needed detox and inpatient. I agree with Tommy. You need to talk to your doctor. Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Tommy and Mary. I was hoping this wasn't a medical advice question, just wondering what people would do in this situation. I'm just having a lot of anxiety right now. Posting helps!! I'm just going to call my doctor, what have I got to lose. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also had a huge amount of anxiety when I stopped drinking. I still remember it vividly.

You CAN get through this. And, it's good that you will be talking to your dr.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I needed to go into a detox then rehab to help with my detoxing. I couldn't do it on my own. Good luck and please talk to your doctor.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chamomile tea helps calm anxiety. So does scullcap and valerian. You can get them in any health food store or large drug store.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. Thank you for telling me I CAN get through this. I feel like I can't right now. This is hard!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I were you I'd probably pop into the ER. Alcohol withdrawal can be pretty serious stuff. It sounds like you need to get into detox, and the ER is the fastest way to do that. Please keep us posted as to how you're doing. You can get through this, but you may need medical help in doing so. And yes, it's hard! It gets easier as time goes by, but at the beginning it's pretty rough.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not giving med advice first off. But I quit everything and went into major wd's. normally they (i went to ER 4 weeks ago) give you benzos to stop the shakes and crap- and it does work. I am trying to quit also....however, benzos are dangerous also- which i am quitting (with not much success). so what its worth- dr is the way to go. i have happened to do both at same time- which is ridicolous. see your dr. my symptoms are not sleeping at all. everyone on here says dr- and they are right. i am yet to go to hospital yet though.....my stupidity. go to dr- and just tell the truth- thats important.
dub
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the posts. It means a lot to hear from you. My doc will see me tomorrow so i'll try to get through this day. I'm going to tell her everything and hopefully she will help me. I prey!!!!!!!!!! I feel like it's my last hope. I hope you all are doing well. Let's do this together.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Valerian root helps as least mentioned. But I agree with others, if your anxiety is that bad, you should talk to your doctor and they can prescribe you something. There are a lot of medications to treat anxiety.

OB