Notices

It's the little things

Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the little things

After not drinking for a few days, 33 today, I've noticed it's the little things that I missed the most.

I remember so many days not eating well, sometimes not at all, so that the food wouldn't upset my buzz. Now, I wonder, what the h*ll was I thinking? Went out to dinner Friday night, went to Wendy's yesterday and chowed down a huge burger, fries, the works, and am enjoying just little things like that today. Like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning, seeing the roses outside my window as I drink it today, and feeling human this morning, hey, it's all good. I'm not struggling today about drinking, it's just not dominating my mind like it did for years. That's a gift. I bought some new tools yesterday and I'm excited about using them, what's up with that? That's a cool thing in my book. Now I can build some things, (I'm a carpenter) just whatever I want to build, that's a great feeling. No contracts, no pressure, no deadlines, just build some neat, fun stuff and break in my new tools. Just a few gifts of not drinking, it's well worth putting the plug in the jug for this ole carpenter.

Hope you that are struggling stick it out long enough to begin to enjoy some of these little things.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Firestorm!

When drinking, morning used to be the WORST time of day. After a horrible night's sleep, I would open my eyes, feel sick as a dog, cringe at the memory, curse myself for failing, frantically think back (if I could remember, which I often couldn't, and that was worse) to what I said and did, look at the coffee pot and shudder at the thought, and eye the day as an obstacle to be endured.

Now, I open my eyes, after a fairly good sleep, stretch with contentment, get out of bed with a clear head AND conscience, grab a cup of coffee (yum!) and go sit sit on our porch, savoring the start of a new day and thank my HP for another day of sobriety.

What a gift!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sandy,

Yep, feeling better today, my grumpiness has left the building, lol. I think I saw Elvis at Walmart yesterday, lol. Don't know if you Walmart, maybe it's an American thing. Glad to see you out and about.

HideorSeek, you're right, it's just fun stuff getting up and having another day, no hangover, no mess in the kitchen, no half-eaten crusty old burgers sittting in the wrappers from my late night attempt to get some nourishment to soak up the booze, no dried out french fries on the floor that I dropped the night before during my drunken stumbling around, no guilt about who I insulted last night, where is my car, and what is the name of the lady asleep in my bed, lol. Today, I awoke alone, no ring on my finger, so I know I didn't run off to Vegas and get hitched overnight, now that's what I call relief.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice post Firestorm!!!

For myself, in early sobriety, I need to do what you are... be grateful and appreciate the simple finer things in my life.

Thanx
Mark
Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder Firestorm! I totally agree and feel like a million bucks this morning.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mergirl

Hahahaha, out to dinner at wendys, you are so darn cute!!! ok honey, you and I are going to have to meet up soon like we talked about, Im going to take you somewhere for grown up food=) I myself have rediscovered the joy of ice cream. I guess it doesn't go well with rum, so I never bothered with it. I sure to love me a little bowl after dinner now though. Glad your feeling better.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Firestorm. Thanks for that uplifting post.

I used to really resent eating out as it got in the way of my drinking. Now I find it is one of the best ways to socialize. Funny how things change in sobriety!

Well done on 33 days!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Waking up in the morning without a hangover is still the best feeling for me. All the other little things are awesome to.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of the nicest folks are right here at SR. Would you ever have imagined a bunch of ex-drunks could be so lively? Must be something in the water, lol.

Come on, Wendy's is first class accomodations, ain't nothin on the menu I can't pronounce, (with my southern drawl and all), lol. Home Town Buffet is another of my secret pleasures, chomping down plate after plate of all kinds of stuff this bachelor don't know how to cook, lol. Lots of ice cream too. Heaven on earth, I tell ya, heaven on earth, lol.

Well, gotta go eat something, lol.

Thanks you guys/gals, you've brightened my day.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

grooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssssss

I love you fire, but your taste in food is disturbing. Maybe coffee and a meeting IS best, although it would be my first meeting and I'm not sure you need all that
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As you have ours!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like Wendy's and Homestyle or Countrystyle Buffet or whatever. Love ice cream, too. Glad you're enjoying it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

ok, we're on for dinner, I'll treat ya first class, down at the ole Weinerschnitzel, my treat of course. I think they have meal deals on the weekend, so is it Friday or Saturday, maybe we can get a two-for-one deal, lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reading your thread reminds me of how I was sitting on my truck's tailgate last night. Smoking a cigarette, at my boyfriend's. He's in kind of a secluded area. Has a bit of land, not much in the way of outside lighting.. Except for the stars. And D A M N they were beautiful. Even with everything not anywhere near on the right track, life is still beautiful. The stars, the sun, the blue skies.. The cars. My son. My boyfriend. My best friends. The bunnies. The squirrels.. Everything I took for granted before I got hooked on crack, and everything I forgot about while I was using...
It's all good. Even this heat is beautiful.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Firestorm thanks for such an uplifting post. I woke up this morning feeling really awful (you can guess why!!!) but you have given me some new strength which I badly need right now. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is the little things. I noticed over the last month that those little things starting combining and making for really awesome big things. My husband handing me the keys to his truck to go to the dump (he loves this truck), my children coming up to hug me just because, keeping my calm when my youngest broke her clavicle. Weight just flying off me because I care enough about my body to eat right and exercise.

Enjoy!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi CQ and Julesy,

Thanks for your responses, it's nice to know others are trying to see the silver lining instead of the old rumpled coat tossed aside in the corner. The sun is bright and warm today, and it's nice to have the windows open, letting in the fresh air. It's funny, when I was hungover, I'd keep the blinds closed, lay on the couch for endless hours, stare at the tv and wonder what was wrong with me. It didn't register that I was a couch potatoe cause I drank tons of booze the night before, lol. Go figure. I'm just dense as a box of rocks sometimes, lol.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Firestorm, thanks for the post. I really hope to get to a happier place myself so that every morning will bring a sense of new beginning. I just started this journey and at least I'm grateful for remembering what I did last night and not cleaning up the mess before I drag myself to work.

Good job!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
mergirl

. . .:wtf2

weenies!! What am I going to do with you?!?!?!?!?