Notices

Thank you for my first 7 days

Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Thank you for my first 7 days

Hi everybody,

This is my first post. I found this forum a week ago after my last drinking episode when I realized I could either choose alcohol or my life but not both. It’s been rough so far dealing with withdrawal and cravings, although the symptoms were not as bad as for some other members. But I feel like I was less exhausted, clumsy, irritable and depressed when I was drinking or hungover than now. Well, at least the hallucinations are gone. And now I have to face my complicated life without the only crutch that was always there for me…

Friday night I almost went to the store to get more booze but then started reading SR and saw people struggling just like I did, so I didn’t go anywhere. Thank you for creating this wonderful support community! I don’t think AA is for me (an atheist here) but I hope that with your support I’ll kick the habit for good.

Grateful,
OB
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mergirl

There is also a secular recovery crowd that are good people
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-26-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

What we find here, is people who understand what we are going through, and somehow it makes it a little bit easier to know we are sharing this journey with others.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Ocean

I am remaining sober with just the support of this forum. I am about 4 months into it.
The first few weeks were the hardest and now it isn't really that hard at all for me. My drinking voice is pretty much gone and only surfaces once in a while to get a beating down.

When I started I made a list of good and bad about drinking and if that voice is strong I just have to read the list to shut it up.
Good luck. There is plenty of support here.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, guys!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome this is an amazing site with lots of knowledge,and togetherness.We have all been there and I have quite a few times as well.There is this saying in the blue book that goes One of these days you'll get a kick that takes you up and not down.My "last" kick has been July 1996.It has been up ever since.It is great to no longer be sick,run to the bar or the store and get the next and "last" fix.Great to have a Life to look forward to everyday.Alcohol is a depressive.Oceanbound is a great handle by the way.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, ocean! keep posting! hugs, k
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Ocean
Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on your seven days!!!

Welcome to SR...Keep posting, we are glad you found us...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome! The first few weeks are the toughest, just take it a day at a time and before you know it you will have a month, then a year, etc... I had really bad cravings yesterday but I stayed close to SR and they went away eventually. It is possible to recover.