Notices

Well- an update- she was right (although I hate to admit it)

Old 04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well- an update- she was right (although I hate to admit it)

Hey guys-
This is kind of trivial- but I am bored and wanted to talk.
I know most or many of you. I am looking (sort of) for a job, got a severance for 4 months, and really am a hard worker for all of my life. Saved some cash, and I will be ok career wise at least hopefully. My wife has always told me I would be dead if I retired (ocd with everything, work, alcohol, music, exercise, whatever comes my way) which I am still not sure about 'dead'. But crap this idle time is killing me. I havent done crap in 4 weeks-almost like my brain shut down. which I think has put me in an insane state of mind. I drink now more, and that really sucks (also pisses off my wife-who works and comes home with me drinking a beer on the couch watching bicycle races). Maybe she is right.
anyway- best to all of you people- its a struggle and I appreciate every single person here.
dub
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Dub))) Work on finding a job, go on bike rides, do whatever you need to do to get yourself sober. If you are drinking more now that you are out of work then you need to find something to fill that void. Ive known several people who have retired and been unhappy with the choice. So then they pick up a part time job or a hobby etc...
Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks TM- Bike is what gets me where I need to be. I just need to do it. Anyway- a very tough day
Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dedubya

Don't know where you live, but in these parts, it's gonna be in the eighties tomorrow... I'll be on my Kline... Get off your couch on on your bike and join me, in spirit anyway...

In my early sobriety, my days off SUCKED... but it's much better now... what is that AVRT - alcoholic voice recognition therapy???... whatever... man, that voice screamed at me on those days... now it just talks to me on those days off... weather is better now and I can find outside things to do.

When are you gonna start your recovery man??... you got some support around here, at least from me... but you gotta do it... do you want it??...

What category did you race, age (if you don't mind) group?

I rode with some cat 3 riders, never raced... too many kids and work hours... plus never had the killer instinct that those roadies had... My son rode with them too, then he went off to college, I got a couple more around here, I'll have to get them some cleats... (one runs X-C, so I gotta chance with him...). They go on the Boy Scout rides though... anyway, I'm just ramblin', hope you don't mind

Mark
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well- you asked.....

hey cubile-
will try to answer most...
cat 4/5 race- like the metric century races 63 milers- can pound out 20 plus mph for 3 hrs back a while, and less like the 100 milers (to make sure youre clear this was a couple of years ago)- I was a runner most of my life and have decent endurance. also like crits. Right now I ride a tricycle around my driveway. Kidding.I am going to start riding again tomorrow- 33 miler at whatever pace - knowing me it will start off slow and go nuts at the end.
sobriety- hopefully the endorphins will stop my issue. I am working hard on that.
I have my bike in good order- (the ocd thing)- so all good there.
good to see a cyclist here......
dub
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post

good to see a cyclist here......
Yea That!!!

I am more the long distance rider... In my prime, I did a few double centuries, But we have to start measuring that in the decades, well... 14 years ago or so... Last century, two years...

I had reasonably good riding schedule until last September - Intervention, Rehab for two months... winter (although I try to ride through the winters - heart wasn't in it... rehab was a bit traumatic...) and now I'm getting back into it.

You've inspired me!!!, I have a 33 mile round trip ride to where my son plays soccer, I can do the dad thing, watch his game.. and get a ride in. Yea!! That's Sun, ...probably 16 tomorrow... yard work kinda gets in the way, damn, just when it's getting good with the weather, funny how that works...

Getting back to recovery... I have found that I have to really make riding a priority... I get all inside my head with this recovery stuff... But when I do get myself in the saddle, damn... it feels so good. Yea, I am AA, read alot about recovery, SR, steps... But damn, We gotta LIVE too... Cycling reminds me WHY I want to get sober and BE HAPPY!!!

Mark
Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey cubile

what the crap we sound very similar. hope everything works out for you. Just for this post, my friend, i am going to rock my ride tomorrow. lets try to get this together. I am wrecked and need help i am going to start tomorrow. heard that before? committed, if you would like to pm me do so. best- ew
Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did you ride today?