Notices

Changing the voice in my head

Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing the voice in my head

Hi,
I had kind of an epiphany this am... I think I have finally crossed that line where I BELIEVE I am an alcoholic. In the past there has always been that voice saying "you don't really have a problem you just need a break", and now I have a sick reaction knowing how delusional I have been in the past. Does any of this make sense. I am hoping it's not more mind tricks. I really want to be done.

Thanks for everything you guys all share and post. This is an amazing place and I'm stoked to be here!!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense to me. It sounds as if you are coming out of denial; and that my friend is the first thing that needs to happen before we can deal with our addictions.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah Yeah!
That makes perfect sense to me. It is wonderful that you are beginning to believe that you actually have a problem. It is the first step to recovery. I wouldn't admit this until I almost croaked from alcohol detox so I guess I am a slow learner. The next major milestone is "Are you willing to do something about the problem?" I had enough and was willing so I did a 12 step program and drinking is just something I have no need for anymore.
Congrats!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You found the right place! Whether it's visiting this board, spilling your guts to a friend, going to a meeting, or even talking to yourself about it out loud... take time every single day, be active daily in your desire to quit drinking. I come here and read or post for an hour or two each day, at least. It helps immensely, keeping it at the forefront of your priorities. I can feel myself wanting to drift away, and be fine without thinking about it or talking about it for a few days... and I can easily see myself rationalizing myself out of the fact that I have a problem and ending up with a drink in my hand...
Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes that is my main goal THIS TIME in getting sober is not going back to that I can handle it phase because that has NEVER worked and I don't want to be that person who expects different outcomes to the same actions. It's funny how my drunk head can convince my rational head of things that I would never do it any other aspect of my life... The one thing I really need to work on is forgiving myself for all the stupid stuff I did drunk. not forgetting but forgiving... Baby steps thought right haha thanks you guys this place has done a lot for me in the short time I have been here.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dime nailed it

you will go nowhere but down if you dont get off the runaway train. i had control (what i thought) for 20+ yrs, it will grab you and take you somewhere you dont want to go.. believe me if you dont ever believe anything i ever say - well i meant say again.... i think you got it though
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Very often I laugh at that voice in my head, it says the strangest things.

I don't think it will ever go away, I just have to be careful to NOT listen all of the time.

Glad to hear yours said something that made sense!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i gotta say this. Ive taken pictures of myself over the past ten - eight years and I might be sober in 1% of any of them. I dont have a photo album, i have a personal and scattered scrapbook of bar tabs and boozery. What has this done for me, what have i done for myself, to myself. Ive kept up a real head trip for a long time and im lucky i have not destroyed more relationships, bridges,.... im my own casualty and for that im thankful to FINALLY admit that im an alcoholic and can not predict my future when i pick up a drink. i get that big time. thanks for sharing.