Notices

How to tell if you REALLY have a problem!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

How to tell if you REALLY have a problem!!!

In my home group this one guy who is fairly new shared that he knew he had a problem when the lady at the liquor store handed him an AA pamphlet and told him that he could probably get some help there when he was ready!!! Well he has about 2 months sober now!

I guess my friends at 7-11 didn't love me because all they wanted was my money, they never suggested AA to me!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

oh, Taz, I love that story!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The guy had a great share he was telling us how when he first come to AA it was due to a gentle nudge by a judge, he said he did not want a thing we had because he was not ready to stop drinking, then he continued to say how after about a months worth of meetings & being sober, he wanted what we had and began to pursue it, he continued on that he was not getting it yet, but he was getting better and he was doing the work he has been told is needed to get where he wants to go.

He shared that here he was, 27 years old and as far as life went he had nothing, he had never been able to hold a job and never stood a chance at a long term relationship, because he was smashed every day by 5:30 or 6 everyday, he said when he was drinking it all seemed good, of course when I was never sober it was hard to see how screwed up his life was becoming and had been.

Very intelligent and nice guy, he is doing what he needs to do so far, I pray he has a lot more good years then I will ever have.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking I often wondered what the people at the drive thru and the grocery store thought of me as I was often waiting for them to open at 8 am to get a bottle of wine to stop the shakes. I don't think normal people are buying wine at that early hour...
Old 04-23-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great story Taz!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The girls at the local supermarket used to worry about me.
One asked me why l drank so much.
We are friends now....

Alice: I'm not staying here listening you to be rude.
March Hare: You'll find better places for that, I'm sure.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Taz. You know looking back i can remember quite a few instances when a barman, waitress, someone has commented something like you don't need anymore. I remember when i was early twenties and on an evening sales call that i commented something like i was glad that was my last call as i could now go home and enjoy a whisky, the lady looked shocked and said at my age i should be enjoying some lemonade and going out for the night with a nice girl...i just thought she was stupid! But as you commented there are people out there who can't wait to serve you, my local for 5 yars in Gibraltar, on the times when i was on on of my 'thats it i quit forever' runs, which would last about 10 days, would actually get my 'friends' to ring me up to get me back out! Mind you i suppose i was a cash cow for him and entertaining to boot?!

27, wow hope that's it for him too!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe the clerk was a friend of Bill's
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Maybe the clerk was a friend of Bill's
Could be, or maybe just a concerned lady that had seen enough young people go down the tubes.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of going to restaurant I hadn't been to for a year and 2 months. I used to drink there and just couldn't go in the place anymore. But this time, I went with me 16 year old and we ordered take out.

The manager saw me and stopped short, looking all happy and surprised to see me. "Where have you been?" she said. "We've missed you!"

I joyfully replied, "I got sober!" She congratulated me and told me that I was welcome back any time and that they would make a committment not to sell me alcohol. Amazing. Beautiful. She really seemed to care!

(Love the story of the liquor clerk, Taz. Thks for sharing.!)

Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Too funny!

:

We love you Taz! Your stories and support are such an inspiration to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i bartended some in the mid 80s. it was when the arnold movie came out, and they called me "the terminator" because i was always cutting people off. lol! i remember cutting off a whole table of local cops once. i'm surprised i didn't get more speeding tickets after that.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to mix it up, never spending too much time in one place for fear of embarassment or getting comments like that! Luckily, the liquor store I would frequent at 7am would always have a line outside waiting for the doors to open. But it was at one of the busier street corners in the area and right near a commuter train station, so it was terribly embarrassing to stand there while hundreds of people passed by with coffees and muffins on their way to work... and worse walking out with a bottle of chardonnay and a six pack of Harp.

A few times I went to a bar in the area that opened at 7am. I would always make up some ridiculous story to the bartender and the handful of patrons (not like they cared) as to why I was in there... I would always say I was meeting my friend, who always never showed... Phew, insanity.