Notices

How much did you/do you drink?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much did you/do you drink?

I feel like it would be helpful to share exactly how much I drank and when (before I decided to get sober)... I think it would be cathartic and I just want to get it off my chest.

I would generally drink 4-5 nights per week. The 2 days I didn't, I was so terribly hungover, I think I wanted to punish myself further by going through the pain without alleviating it with more drinking (and had lines, in my mind, that I didn't want to cross, i.e. drinking at work, drinking every single day,etc). If I went out by myself, it was usually 5-6 20 oz beers, plus 3 shots... then on the way home, I would pick up, and finish a bottle of wine. The mega-rough-destructive nights would involve a stop at another bar with several more beers and shots involved. but i would end every night, no matter how much i drank, by polishing off a bottle of wine. Nights I stayed in and decided to take it easy, I'd drink 2 bottles of wine. A handful of times I finished off 3 bottles in a night, but I'd be so crazy hungover the next day, I wouldn't be able to eat anything until 10pm. There had been nights, I went out, got hammered, came home and drank a few beers, bottle of wine, before I knew it, I'd be outside the liquor store that opens at 7am, getting another bottle of wine, drinking that til 11am, then sleeping til 7pm. Anyway, just wanted to get some of the details off my chest. If anyone else wants to share, please do, I would love to hear them. Also, I'm not sharing this and asking others to share in order to compare who drank more, or who is the worse alcoholic/boozer. I've never fully shared exactly how much I did drink with anyone, and wanted to...so...thanks!!

Also, even with the copious amounts I was drinking, it has been at least 6 years since I've vomited due to drinking. I don't know if that's from my body adapting (and craving) to all the alcohol I was ingesting, or maybe it's my natural body chemistry or what (and most nights, I would drink beer, wine, vodka, whiskey, it was always a large variety of different drinks)... a lot of days I would wake up and think "I'm f**king kinda scared that all of that didn't make me throw up."...

Last edited by dabears34; 04-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When drinking vodka my drinks would always have 3 oz of vodka mixed with gatorade. I would drink anywhere from 4-8 drinks. When I stopped drinking vodka and only drank beer, I would drink anywhere from 8-20 beers.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to drink every single day. My drink of choice is beer so I would get home at around 5pm, crack open a cold one while fixing dinner. Then 1-2 with dinner. I basically drank until it was time to go to sleep. I drank anywhere from 4-8 beers everyday, Monday to Friday.

On the weekends I used to drink anywhere from 10 - 15 beers every nite

Just typing this all out made me realise what a destructive life I was living.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot...enough to get me into a lot of trouble.
l am still trying to clear the mess up and am still ashamed of what l have done.

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields
Old 04-20-2009, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Early in my disease of drinking , I drank depending on the situation, and my emotions. As the disease progressed to the last stage of alcoholism, I drank when I didn't want to face life, when I didn't want to feel my emotions, and when I had lost all hope. This consisted of several days in a row of around the clock drinking...I drank when I opened my eyes, to pass out until I awoke again.

How much did I drink? Whether it was one or twenty drinks, it was to much.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Enough, I drank enough to where I saw death in my future if I continued.

This is just my opinion, but it is really not how much we drink when we drink, nor is it how long we drank for or how often, it is what happens to us when we drink that matters.

I drank enough to fill me up.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my mid 40s I had to quit drinking the hard stuff because it was tearing up my stomach so I drank just beer and wine then the beer started making me feel too full and bloated so the last 7-8 years I "only" drank wine and I drank enough to nearly kill me. I feel a bit quesy even typing that. I drank alone at home to the tune of about $100 a week what a waste.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know only because it was pointed out yesterday afternoon.
In my quest to cut back on OC's, perks, loris and all the other pills I was eating I started drinking more. A Case of the Beast Ice cost less than a few pills.

Well this weekend I fell off the cutting back to nothing.
5 Oxy 40's 10 watson 7.5's 12 pack of Icehouse a Case of Beast Ice and 1/2 pint +/- of Canadian mist.
I really thought I could cut it out myself but I know I dont have the power! I begged the DR for an earlier appointment but no go I just have to make it til Thursday.So come Thursday I hope to say Im Drug - Alchohol Free. It has been a journey and Im ready to get off the ride.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started my short but brilliant career as an alcoholic very innocently: drinking a glass of wine in the afternoon to relax before the kids got home from school. I became addicted very quickly and within a few months was drinking all day, every day, from one to three bottles of wine. I was often at the grocery store when they opened at 7 am to get a bottle of wine to quell the shakes. I now wonder what they must have thought seeing me there first thing in the morning buying a bottle of wine. Ugh. So glad those days are behind me now.

There is nothing good in alcohol now, it can only bring misery, and I'm glad to be sober these days. My life is so much better without that poison. My kids respect and trust me again and that's worth so much to me.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Enough to get me here..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would always switch up what I was drinking so it's kind of hard to say exactly.. I have a "line" or limit that I was/am good at walking. When I was in the grid of things I would buy a 750ml bottle of jim beam or gin and start drinking from when I got off work until I was ready to sleep, I would usually drink 3/4 of the bottle. The next night I would finish the rest and then drink probably 6 - 8 beers. I would do this for long stretches of days at a time with random days off where I was either too hung over or some where I couldn't drink. How I let myself think it wasn't a problem is beyond me, I think it was because I drank at home by myself and was usually able to wake up the next day just fine. I also set a very low 'bottom' that I almost never let myself cross so I felt in control.

And then there were 'those' nights where I either didn't need to wake up the next day or I was feeling extra destructive, I never really kept track but I would drink a lot more and faster.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank about a half gallon of jack daniels and about 15-20 beers a day...expect the occasional days when I switched things up and was drinking 3/4 of a 5th of Everclear (95% alcohol) and about 15 beers. Either way I was destroying myself at such a young age...I'm only 24...so I'm glad I was able to sober up when I did albeit I've only been sober for almost three months now. All I know is, if I can give up the booze and live sober, anyone can. It can be done, and it does get better.

Wes
Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to just a couple glasses of wine on the weekends, then it became a couple of glasses of wine everyday, then it became a bottle everyday, then I started buying 2 of these little milk cartons of wine everyday which each had about 3 glasses, because 1 bottle wasn't enough so that was 1 1/2 bottles of wine, then I would just buy a big bottle of wine...and a couple beers of needed. Talk about progressive.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How about an olympic size swimming pool? If I ever meet my liver in a second life I think she would punch my face out.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

A pint of vodka per day or 1-2 bottles of wine. What a mess!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It seems weird to alcoholics like us, but it is just not healthy or natural to drink a whole bottle of wine, or a whole six pack, or most of a fifth, you probably wouldnt drink a case of pepsi in one sitting, yet beer is a different matter for us. We drank unnatural amounts reguarly.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

adore79, I was thinking the same thing!...."what if I tried to drink 12 cans of diet coke in 4 hours? I probably couldn't do it and would get sick around can 4!"
Old 04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
How about an olympic size swimming pool? If I ever meet my liver in a second life I think she would punch my face out.
LOL Littlefish!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

enough for oblivion.........and that got to a fair bit in the end.

didnt care when...what...or how.. as long as i got to oblivion i was where i wanted to be.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1-2 pints of vodka sometimes rum almost every day for the last 5 years.